main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

New Star Wars Video Games Coming

Discussion in 'Archive: Milwaukee, WI' started by Master_Treadlite, May 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zordok

Zordok Jedi Youngling

May 22, 2002
    I for one am more into PC gaming than consoles... computers give you many more options for how you control the game, and I've never been happy with the display quality on TV's vs computer monitors. Plus, my computer can help me do my homework, not just avoid it ;)
    Wampas: I don't know why MS pretends the xbox isn't a computer... its got an Intel processor, USB controllers, an IDE hard drive built-in, and it runs (a modified version of) windows 2000 with direct-x. Other companies are already planning on making keyboards for the xbox (Interact's "Sharkboard", they make one for PS2 as well), so I expect there will be mice coming eventually. After buying all those add-ons, you may as well have bought a computer. (heck, there are even programs that claim to let you play xbox games on your computer! Not having any xbox games, though, I don't know if they work...)

Wow. That turned into more of a rant than I was intending...

-Zordok

2. TheWampas1138

TheWampas1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2002
    To answer your question Coal, I get most of my info from console magazines that I subscribe to, or from IGN.com. Speaking of which, I have a list of the upcoming games and release dates. None of them will be out for a few months, so I'll post the information when I find the list again.

And I don't know why Microsoft doesn't want the Xbox to seem like a computer, except to maybe try and escape their image with Windows freezing up and things like that. I really don't understand it.

I have never been a big PC gamer, except for back in the days of the original Pool of Radiance, Curse of the Azure Bonds and stuff like that, and X-wing. I guess after that it became easier to buy a console rather than upgrade a computer. Now that Marcy and I have a decent computer, I've started to get into PC games again. I understand the notion of more control options, but there's something nice about everything being contained to eight buttons and two control sticks, rather than having to remember that control-shift-alt-3 is the "quick heal" button. Plus I can play video games on my couch. I can't do that with a computer. I think it all comes down to preference.

On another note, IGN.com has video footage from E3 showing Knights of the Old Republic if anyone is interested. Not sure if you can download it without being a member or not, and it was shot from a video camera of a screen, so it's not the best quality, but the game does look good.

Dwayne

3. TheWampas1138

Apr 2, 2002
    I found this article on IGN.com today, thought I would post it here since I don't know how to create links:

May 20, 2002 - A version of Star Wars Galaxies, the massively-multiplayer online RPG set in George Lucas' legendary sci-fi universe, will be developed for Xbox, LucasArts announced today. Developed by Sony Online Entertainment, the house that Everquest built, the Xbox version of Galaxies will differ from the PC version (due for release in December), but it will still offer a multiplayer role-playing adventure set on multiple planets in the Star Wars universe. No release date was included in LucasArts' announcement.
    "The ultimate goal with these versions of Star Wars Galaxies is to solidify LucasArts' position at the forefront of the emerging online console game genre, and we''re confident this strategy will do just that," said Randy Breen, LucasArts' VP for development. "By offering the Star Wars Galaxies series on videogame consoles such as Xbox and PlayStation 2, LucasArts will be able to bring this eagerly awaited game to an entirely new audience of players who previously may not have had an opportunity to experience it."

Galaxies' game system is based on a combination of combat, exploration, social interaction, special missions, and quests throughout the Star Wars world. It will be very interesting to see how LucasArts' and Sony Online handle such an ambitious project within the confines of a game console.

--

Dwayne

4. Master_Treadlite

Master_Treadlite Jedi Youngling

May 20, 2002
    Does anyone know if the console versions of the "galaxies" game is going to allow Local multiplayer potential? I mean, are me and 3 of my friends going to be able to wander on the same screen and game without having to go internet psycho? I was just wondering because this wasn't a big issue with things like Diablo, but then again, Hack and Slash isn't too complicated to program...

Coal.

5. Zepo

Zepo Jedi Youngling

May 14, 2002
    I hope that "SW Galaxies" will allow a group of friends to gather in a living room and just go stormtrooper hunting together. Perhaps with each being able to pick a weapon/character of their choice.

Group play is where it's at, not the over-interactive internet melees.

6. Mauler_II

Mauler_II Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2002
    I agree - its much more fun to KNOW the person you're killing! :)

I have a ten port ethernet hub with cables and a wireless hub with an extra PCM-CIA wireless card if we want to plan a day of it at some point.

7. Zepo

Zepo Jedi Youngling

May 14, 2002
    Mauler,

Sounds like we should make day of it sometime. :)

May the Force Be With Us!!

8. TheWampas1138

Apr 2, 2002
    I seriously doubt that Galaxies will allow multiplayer with a single console without connecting to the internet simply because of the Diablo situation. If you've played Diablo 2 online at all you probably know about this. There are two types of characters when playing online Diablo. There are "open" characters which are stored on your computer, and there are realm characters that exist only on the Blizzard server. Since you have access to anything on your own computer, many characters are hacked. It's not uncommon to find a level 99 Amazon with hit points that rivals Avogadro's Number, yet the person has never finished Act I on normal. And they all want to kill my honest level 38 paladin. With realm characters existing only on Blizzard's server, you have no access to them other than to play, so they cannot be hacked. In order to play Galaxies without the internet, the character would have to be stored on the hard drive or in a memory card. There are ways to port PS2 data to a computer, and back again. In fact you can download save information at various sites. So someone could conceivably hack a character, put it back on the PS2 and hop online with it. So I don't think you will be able to play the game without going online, unless the game includes a "offline" character generation only function. But then again, it's meant to be a massive player RPG, so I seriously doubt that will be included. Just my hunch.

That being said, it doesn't mean that some of us couldn't form a group... as long as you don't want to be in the Republic or be merchants. Because I don't know what kind of alien freak I will be, but I do think bounty hunter sounds like my kind of profession.

Dwayne

9. Mauler_II

Mauler_II Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2002
    It would also be possible for us to get together AND have access to the internet. I have my HAN (Home Area Network) set up like this now.

The only issue would be if the internet servers do not support NAT. MS games are the only ones I've had problems with in the past. Lucasrarts multiplayer games work fine for me.

10. Master_Treadlite

May 20, 2002
    I went out and bought JEDI POWER BATTLES last night and let me tell you, I'm gonna dig playing this game for a long long time to come. I see what everyone is talking about with the multiplayer drawbacks, but it isn't *too* much of a problem if you and your buddy can work together to stay in the center of the screen. I wanted everyone to know that I really appreciated their help and input, so now I have another question for you all. I'm starting to break down on the purchase of a new system. It's gonna be a console, so I need to know gut reactions to the classic debate (XBOX v. PS2). Which way does everyone lean?

Coal...

11. Bishop76

Bishop76 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 1, 2002
    PS2 if for no other reason the game support it has.

Down the road X-Box might get better support, but until later this year (when Knight of the Old Republic comes out) I don't see any reason to own an X-Box.

I did break down the other day though and buy a Game Cube for $150 - the mini-disc format is weird and the damn thing is REALLY small, but I picked up Rogue Leader and Resident Evil and they're unbelievably beautiful. I do (against my previous beliefs) heartily recommend the Game Cube.

Jeff

12. TheWampas1138

Apr 2, 2002
    I would recommend the gamecube the least actually, just because for whatever reason, they seem to be having trouble getting games out. About 70% of their games it seems are available on other consoles. Don't get me wrong, it's a great system, and in time it will have plenty of good games (Metroid Prime and StarFox Adventures for instance), but right now if you want games, definitely the PS2 (GTA3, FFX, Metal Gear, Devil May Cry, GT3, etc). If you can name a genre, then there's a great game out there for it on PS2. Plus it has more third party support than the other two consoles. However, the X-box has some advantages like built in modem (one will cost you $40 for PS2), built in harddrive (PS2 will have a hard drive add on for about $70) and four controller slots (two for PS2, but the PS2 can go up to eight if you purchase two multitaps). With an Xbox, you can create your own soundtracks and some games (only one that I have played so far) will use that music if you want. It time, programmers will discover just what a beast the Xbox is. If you want RPGs, the Xbox has Morrowind coming (next week), Project Ego (the name may change, but the game promises freedom like no other game, and your character ages from 16 to 80) and of course Knights of the Republic (of course, PS2 has the beloved Final Fantasy franchise, and since Square tanked it in the stock market after Final Fantasy: the Spirits Within bombed and Sony bought around 30% of the company, it's unlikely other systems will get FF any time soon). However right now, it simply doesn't have the games. It's starting to get some third party support (I'm really excited about Robotech) and it will catch on. But if you games and want them now, plus a proven track record, PS2 is hard to beat. Even during the end of last year when the other two consoles came out, PS2 was outselling them and it was a year older. There are almost ten million in American homes now, and that means companies will pump out software for it. It already has a huge library. Xbox is like HDTV, it's beautiful and great, but not that many things programmed for it. I think either way though, you'll be happy. But if I had money for one system only, I would probably pick PS2. Your best bet is to go to the video game department of a store and look around. See which system has the most games that you would want. Or check out IGN.com or Gamestop.com and look at the game selection, plus the upcoming games. That will give you a feel for the system that will suit you best.

Dwayne

13. Bishop76

Apr 1, 2002
    Oh, yeah, Dwayne - no arguments about Game Cube being dead last, but I'm as big a Resident Evil whore as I am a Final Fantasy whore, so that's the only reason it beat out X-Box for me...

And Metroid Prime is gonna kick ass - spoiler - Samus Aran is actually a chick! ;)

(BTW, that was a joke)

Well, either a chick or a guy really into the Ren Fair... hard to tell on those old 8-bit graphics.

Jeff

14. TheWampas1138

Apr 2, 2002
    All I have to say is that I wanted gamecube for one reason. Zelda..love the zelda's however, the new Zelda...cell shading animation. What the HELL is the matter with these people? Okay 'nough whining.

Marcy

15. Master_Treadlite

May 20, 2002
    HEY!

I heard there was a Star Wars fighting game with Han, Chewie, Darth Maul, Oui Gon, and the rest. I also heard that it was called "masters of blah blah soemthing". Can someone help me out here?

Thanks,

Coal...

16. BYOB_Kenobi

BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 7, 2000
    It's "Masters of Teras Kasi," Treadlite, and there aren't any prequel characters in it.

Somebody got a Game Cube this weekend...

17. Bishop76

Apr 1, 2002
    Tom gave you the name, I'll give you a brief review - it stinks. The hardest move in the game is firing your blaster.

It is good for a few laughs, though - like the "Incredible Hulk" Gamorrean (He gets bigger and greener).

What game(s) did you pick up for your new GC, Tom?

Jeff

18. bwing53

bwing53 Jedi Master star 3

May 7, 2002
    I'm not a huge gamer, but I can say that I bought the N64 three years ago for one reason--Rogue Squadron. God, I loved that game. Only bummer was that you couldn't really run too many missions in open space. I've got my eyes on a Gamecube this August because of what I've seen of Rogue Leader. What's the gameplay like on the GC overall?

19. TheWampas1138

Apr 2, 2002
    I agree with Jeff, Teras Kasi stinks as a fighter. Its only good qualities are the Star Wars aspects. Once you figure out a good move for a character, you pretty much can't lose. The best moves are the grabs, like Chewie picking up someone by the feet, pounding his or her head on the ground back and forth like a bath mat, or Vader using the Force to choke people. His lightning is fun, but, way too powerful and easy. Same with Boba's multi rocket launch.

As for Rogue Leader on the Gamecube, it's a great game. The battle of Endor alone is worth it just for the sheer scale of the battle. You've got two star destroyers to take out while you protect a medical frigate (why is it always a medical frigate) with the help of a Calamari Cruiser. And oh yeah, there are about a hundred TIEs flying around. The detail and battles are great, and there's lots of nice unlockables like the Falcon asteroid run, Slave I, a Naboo fighter, Darth Vader's TIE, playing the trench run as the Empire... The controls are fairly simple. My only complaint is that using the speed boost on the X-wing almost always closes your S-foils unless you give just the right pressure. And I never bother rolling except in rare cases. In general, I still prefer a Playstation controller over everything else. The Gamecube one is kind of small, and I prefer having two analog sticks to one stick and the c-button.

Dwayne

20. Bishop76

Apr 1, 2002
    Amen to that, brother. C-button sucks. I can't count the number of times I've been searching for that and missed it, hitting something else or falling off the controller - I'm just too used to the PS controls, like you said. And, I have yet to use the roll option in the game. Just seems kinda pointless. Now I can't wait to get to Endor, though... BTW, do you get to do the second Death Star run INTO the Death Star?

Jeff

21. cruznseal2

cruznseal2 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 19, 2001
    hello, exams just ended so i'm catching up on all the goings on.

jedi outcast is as much starwars gaming as i need until galaxies. but i will admit rogue leader has me drooling.

Anyway for every one who owns jedi outcast check out

http://www2.ravensoft.com/jedioutcast/

its a list of resources for you to download new levels (there are two duel of the fates levels that are awesome) and lots of new bots and skins for your entertainment. i'm sure that with more time the JKII community will be busting with mods and while there are only a few right now they still make for a fun time.

so check them out

22. TheWampas1138

Apr 2, 2002
    I just want to know how to change my saber color in Outcast in single player.

As for Rogue Leader, oh yeah, you get to fly the second Death Star. And it's not easy. You have to protect the Falcon as it flies towards the core entrance, and it flies as if a drunken monkey is at the controls. So usually you have to stay very close while dodging a countless barrage of laser fire. I swear for a while there, I thought space itself was bright green. Inside the core you have to constantly catch up to fighters to fend them off, and it's not easy with the twists and turns. It's the level that I swore at the most probably, and there's no way I'll ever get a gold in it. Then again, I don't think I have a gold in anything.

Dwayne

23. Master_Treadlite

May 20, 2002
    Ok, I just play the SW Masters of Teras Kasi last night and I completely agree with all of your assesments! It rots! But, it does has that one unique value that too few games have nowadays... If you play it at 2 am, it's damn hilarious!!! Plus there are a lot of cheats and easter eggs for the game that I found online here:
    http://www.gamesentinel.com/gs_ban/frame.php?url=http://www.psxtreme.com/cheat-megapage.asp?GameName=Star+Wars%2DMasters+of+Teras+Kasi&Platform=PSX

other than that, I'm glad I only paid $12 for it...

Coal out

24. BYOB_Kenobi

BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 7, 2000
    I actually like Teras Kasi alot. Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I know, it's the only Star Wars-themed fighting game there is.

Now if there was a Dreamcast version that was more like Soul Caliber, then you'd have an improvement. Imagine... Darth Vader hopping around on his lightsaber like a pogo stick and then stabbing you with it.

"What game(s) did you pick up for your new GC, Tom?"

I never said the Game Cube was mine. Hell, I have a hard enough time just trying to remember all the names for these confounded things. It always comes out Gamebox Xcube or some damn thing. Anyway, somebody is too busy playing Rogue Leader and putting her Stormtrooper costume together to speak for herself on the boards, so...

25. TheWampas1138

Apr 2, 2002
    Just for the record...

The most awesome sound effect in video games comes from Timesplitters (multiplayer fps). You shoot the heads off the mummies and they bounce around making the single best noise in any video game I've ever heard. It's the perfect DOINK noise. Someone got a little angry because I was laughing so hard I couldn't play..why am I telling you this? I'm at work, I'm bored and well..I can.

Marcy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.