main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

New Star Wars Video Games Coming

Discussion in 'Archive: Milwaukee, WI' started by Master_Treadlite, May 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BYOB_Kenobi

BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 7, 2000
    And the best music ever is the Chao Race Entrance theme from Sonic Adventure 2 for Sega Dreamcast.

2. Auraveda

Auraveda Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 5, 2001
    I've only gotten one game so far, Star Wars - Rogue Leader. I rather like it though it's a bit hard. I'm still stuck in the trenches of the Death Star. The graphics are rather nice. They seem better than the PS2, but I'd really need to have more than one game to judge it by.

If I didn't already have Sonic Adventure 2 for Dreamcast I'd pick that up.

Actually the next game I'll probably pick up is Extreme G3 Racing. I'm a sucker for motorcycle racing games. I am very much looking forward to the upcoming Star Wars games as well as Zelda, Metroid, and Mario Sunshine.

I'm also interested in Resident Evil. I saw a demo of it at a Babbages and it looked impressive. Is there much problem solving in it, or is it all just killing monsters? I'd be more interested if there were problem solving aspects. One of the best video games I've ever played was Ico for PS2. On the whole it's a pretty low action game, you only have to do some fighting once in a great while. Most of the time you're just trying to figure out how to get out of this castle you're trapped in. It really makes you think. Unfortunately though once you've played through it, it isn't nearly as entertaining since you then know the way out. But the experience the first time through is engaging to say the least.

3. BYOB_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2000
    Personally, I don't like puzzles. I like to blow stuff up. My one glaring exception is Tetris. Can't get enough Tetris.

I still think Star Wars needs more fighting games.

4. Bishop76

Bishop76 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 1, 2002
    There is problem solving (a lot) in Resident Evil. There is also a fair share of fighting. All in all, it's a very good game (IMO) and the only problem is that some of the puzzles require you to take some pretty large leaps of logic (read: download hints).

It has my seal of approval

Jeff

5. Master_Treadlite

Master_Treadlite Jedi Youngling

May 20, 2002
    Ok, I think I have to recant my position on Masters of Teras Kasi... After playing the game for a few hours (I bought it for $12 bucks) and getting the moves list off of various websites, it's actually enjoyable. It's not the worlds greatest fighting game, I'll not not say that at all, but the novelty of sparring with Luke and Vader (lightsabers or no) is really appealing to me. I haven't unlocked the other characters yet, just not enough hours in the day, but I'm sure that it won't take long.

All in all I have to say that as far as fighting games go, they usually lose their appeal rather quickly, and this has the potential of some staying power simply because of the Jedi factor. I would rate it the same as XMEN Mutant Acadmey 2 (NIGHTCRAWLER ROCKS!) for replayability simply for the charaters that you love.

Coal

6. TheWampas1138

TheWampas1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2002
    I think the difference might be that you bought it for $12, and when I bought the game, it was the original price. I'm not saying that the game wasn't fun, and it was still better than the Phantom Menace video game, but it was only good for its Star Wars qualities, not its fighting game qualities. And some of the unlockable characters were kind of lame choices. Jodo Kast? Ooh, so they redid the colors on Boba. Leia as slave girl? Usually I don't mind this, but they could have picked someone better... like Lando, Yoda, a Royal Guard... I would definitely say the game is $12 worth of fun, but $40 would be pushing it.

As for Resident Evil, I only played one of them, and I forget which one it was. I know I had to repair a train and meet up with a marine. I think his name was Carlos. Most of the puzzles I remember were like: There's a fire blocking your way, but there is a socket for a hose. So you had to find a hose, and then when you tried to put it on, you were told you needed a wrench to tighten it, so you went and found a wrench. Plus some of those puzzles where there are three switches with three positions each, and you have to get the right combination to open a door. It was a good game, but rather short if I remember. Not that Onimusha or Devil May Cry were much longer, but I enjoyed those more. Of course, I also like Samurais and people that turn into demons, so that could explain that. None of those games had puzzles like Ico, but then again Ico is pretty much all puzzles. Marcy and I still have to go back and finish that some day.

Anyway, here for your gaming pleasure is the list I promised of current release dates for Star Wars games (and other games I've heard people mention). Remember these are subject to change, especially since we're talking Lucas Arts here.

Cube:

Super Mario Sunshine - 8.26.02
    Star Wars: The Clone Wars - 9.16.02
    Star Fox Adventures: Dinosaur Planet - 9.30.02
    Star Wars Bounty Hunter - 11.15.02

PS2:

Kingdom Hearts - 9.16.02
    Grand Theft Auto: Vice City - 10.8.02
    Star Wars Bounty Hunter - 11.15.02

X-Box:

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic - 11.15.02

Also Mace Griffin Bounty Hunter comes out for all the systems in October or November. It's a combination first person shooter/flight game where you travel through space tracking down criminals while working on a larger plot. Seems like it might be cool, but then again whenever bounty hunting is mentioned I get a tingle.

Dwayne

7. Zepo

Zepo Jedi Youngling

May 14, 2002
    I actually quite like the game "Star Wars: Masters of Teras Kasi" but for the same reasons I stated earlier in this thread: It gives friends a chance to play a game together and just have a lot of fun.

I understand why getting it for $40 might not seem as good a buy as getting it for $12, but I have to say that I enjoyed the game the first time I played it in 1998 and I enjoyed it just as much when I played it last night (which I did).

The idea of Star Wars characters beating the bejeebers out of each other is cool, no matter how you look at it. I have to rate the game a 85% out of 100%.

It is not perfect, and could use more characters, and some easier moves. I agree Jodo Kast is a weak addition, but there are other cool cheats too such as unlocking the stormtrooper and the biker scout, playing with the malformed (big head, big feet, etc. characters) and some other neat tweaks to the game...

Now only if I could get some of the control strings to work properly...

;)

8. Master_Treadlite

Master_Treadlite Jedi Youngling

May 20, 2002
    Zepo,

After looking at the moves for a little bit, they are not all that difficult to master at all. You might just need to crack the knuckles, limber up, and just look at the damn code sheet to figure out the moves. As for your 85% rating fo the game, I think that's a little off base. I would say 60% off the shelf with an improvement of 15% (to a total 75%) once everything is unlocked and usable in game.

As for the other SW games...

Power Battles is still burning up the charts in my opinion. Now here's a game with staying power. I would give it an astonishing 90% good buy rating overall before and after you unlock the "goodies". It really embodies the spirit of being a Jedi. Although at times it's a bit humbling to be swinging at the same droid five times and it still hasn't fallen down...

I do want to ask the board for their advice on the game. How to you keep your life high enough so as to not die half way through the second mission....

I play it with friends and that's where we run out of credits all the time! It's getting frustrating, but still hasn't made me stop playing the game.. Weird no?

Coal out

9. Mauler_II

Mauler_II Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2002
    Is it my imagination or does Kyle from jedi oucast have pit stains?

I did the funniest thing while playing last night. There was an R4 at the bottom of a shaft. I "force pulled" him up and then let him drop. He made the classic artoo "Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaa" sound and crashed.

Also, during the part of the game where you "become" an R4 unit the R4's head got shot off, but I was still able to control him as if nothing happened.

Pretty funy.

BTW - has anyone come up with a strategy for lightsaber duels other than random jump, random crouch, followed by random strike?

10. TheWampas1138

Apr 2, 2002
    Maybe the difference Zepo and Coal is gaming experience. I'm big into games, and only a small percentage (I wish it were larger) of those games is Star Wars. I'm not obsessed with fighting games, but I generally buy at least one really good one, and compared to those games, Teras Kasi doesn't match up. Its Star Wars appeal really pulls it up, but the game can be rather easy if you use Luke's three swipe attack. I think I went untouched even in combat with Vader. The unlockable characters makes it cool, but again, they could have chosen better. How about the Emperor instead of Kast? Or even IG-88. Something other than a repaint would be good. However, even given my criticisms, if they came out with a new version with more characters, I would probably get it. And I did like Teras Kasi enough to not take it in for store credit (I think).

As for Jedi Power Battles strategy, I played single player using Obi Wan (what can I say, I like the stabbing backward thing). With single player I fell off of things less since I wasn't jumping blind as often. As for strategy, I think I mostly utilized Obi's force push power (whatever the medium force attack is). That power, plus really knowing when to tap the stick to deflect, helps a lot.

In Outcast, I haven't gotten far enough to control the little R5 unit. Does he come with a missile? I did however finally change my saber color. Still suck with a lightsaber, but that can't be helped much. Does using your saber more often increase your force skills with it more quickly? The only skill I've improved so far is leap, so now I bang my head a lot.

Dwayne

11. Mauler_II

Mar 13, 2002
    How did you change your saber color??!!

The R4 has no weapons. You just use him to flip some switches.

Once I got my saber, thats pretty much all I used. I am on my second trek through the single player - I finished the "medium" version a couple months ago, and now I am going through at the second-hardest level.

The oddest thing I found about the game is that except for the saber duels, the game gets easier as you go along. You have 12 troopers standing in front of you shooting and every bolt gets deflected by your lightsaber. You can then "force pull" and rip the weapons out of there hands. Then they just kind of walk around with nothing to do. In fact, you can just stand there and let your saber deflect all the bolts until they ricochet and hit all the enemies shooting you. Your force/saber skills get so good that you don't need to use anything else for general fighting. That's ashame because there are some pretty powerful weapons you get later on.

BTW - I LOVE sneeking up to stormtroopers and listening in on their conversations.

12. TheWampas1138

Apr 2, 2002
    To change the saber color:

~ (enter - this should bring up a strange prompt at the top of the screen)

devmapall (enter - it will look like nothing happened)

sabercolor green (or red, blue, orange, purple, then enter)

~ (enter - closes prompt)

You may have to do it each time the level starts, or you load the game, but I like it. I generally use orange or green.

Dwayne

13. Mauler_II

Mar 13, 2002
  14. TheWampas1138

Apr 2, 2002
    I'm waiting for that game more than even GTA4. Once more, my brand of evil will be unleashed unto the world.

Dwayne

15. Mauler_II

Mar 13, 2002
    I know its not a SW game, but has anyone picked up Warcraft III yet?

If so what do you think?

I may be interested in picking it up...

16. Bishop76

Apr 1, 2002
    I haven't, but my roommates have said good things about it. They don't let me play, though (well, primarily because my computer sucks).

If I may suggest, along the Lovecraft lines from another thread, Eternal Darkness for the Game Cube is an amazingly cool game. If you like Lovecraft it'll knock your socks off. Till the cows come home. (sorry, visions of a Patrick Stewart SNL skit running through my head)

Jeff

17. TheWampas1138

Apr 2, 2002
    I've played Warcraft III, it's pretty cool. Seems to have more of a plot than WII. I've tried the random games though, and get creamed really fast, mostly because I love research and hate just creating troopss, so I usually have one troop that has super armor and weapons, and the enemy has fifty average guys that kill mine in a second. I am not exactly Alexander the Great. Maybe Alexander the Grape.

I have Eternal Darkness, but haven't invested a lot of time in it yet because of other games. But I just finished one, so I think ED will be next. I've heard it's pretty creepy.

Dwayne

18. Bishop76

Apr 1, 2002
    When you play ED, save your game and just let your characters's sanity meter drop to 0. Run around for a while and see what happens. It will actually drive you insane (or at least really piss you off a few times).

Jeff

19. Auraveda

Jun 5, 2001
    The video game that has been taking up most of my time lately is Super Smash Brothers Melee. The first time I tried it I wasn't too impressed. It was at comp USA playing against an eight year old kid who wiped the floor with me. Anyway I later rented it to give it a better chance because I'd heard so many great things about it. And wow, it's really fun. It's a good fighting game, good graphics, good music, and rather funny. I imagine it might not be quite as much fun for someone who hadn't played alot of old Nintendo games, but I really enjoy seeing all these old characters I remember playing on my NES when I was 12. It's also a good example of how you can have 2D action with 3D graphics.

Hmmm, I'll have to give Eternal Darkness a try. Everywhere I look it gets rave reviews, and the insanity meter sounds very interesting.

20. BYOB_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2000
    "...just let your characters's sanity meter drop to 0..."

Character? ?[face_plain]

21. Bishop76

Apr 1, 2002
    Character = your avatar on screen. The person you control. In Super Mario Bros, Mario is your character.

Jeff

22. BYOB_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2000
    I'm not totally naive, Jeff. :p I was trying to imply that I really do have a sanity meter.

23. Bishop76

Apr 1, 2002
    With you, it's always a guessing game...

;)

Jeff

24. Auraveda

Jun 5, 2001
    I just rented Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem last night and played it for about 3 hours. Wow, what a freaky game. I haven't let my sanity get too low though. I'm going to have to try that out with some of the saves I have now. So far I've mostly just experienced weird noises and tilting Batman villian-esque camera angles. Oh, and the blood. The screaming floor is pretty wild even though it isn't an insanity effect.

There was one thing that scared me quite a bit though, I almost screamed. I won't say what it is in case you haven't got that far. It happens onn the second floor of the mansion. It was almost the suprise as much as the sight of it that was scary.

If I can't beat it before I have to return it to Blockbuster I'll definitely buy it.

25. Bishop76

Apr 1, 2002
    I know exactly what you're talking about on the second floor. First time I played through, it was late and I was home alone with all the lights out (BTW, that's the perfect way to play any game like Eternal Darkness or Resident Evil, etc...) and I just about crapped myself when I examined what you're talking about. At the very least, I turned some of the lights back on.

Anyway, I've beat the game twice now (defeating Chattur'gha and Xel'lotath) and have one more Great God to kill. Then I get "invincible" mode. And the good ending.

Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.