main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

St. Lou, MO New StLFF Structure Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Jedi_Dajuan, Dec 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dagobah_Diva

Dagobah_Diva Jedi Master star 4

Sep 24, 2002
    LOL, Ken. I DID say that I was acting like I did in Jr. High. ;)

2. KOB

KOB Jedi Youngling star 4

Aug 22, 2004
    Niiiiiiiiiiiccccccceeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. DarthShoey

DarthShoey Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2003
    Ken - that flyer is great! Can you make about 1,000 of them?

J/K

4. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Jedi_Commander_Faofa Jedi Master star 4

Mar 17, 2003
    Sorry. Next time I'll do it properly. (ie in the face and make it a proper duel)

That my friend, would be one of your last actions. ;)

You're posting on a SW message board. You checked your sanity at the door.

Amen.

I DID not, Ken. Something was affecting your eyesight, obviously.

I didn't see her twitch in the kitchen either, and I was with her. It might have been Ken's eyesight, but he had the caffeine afterwards, didn't he? ;)

5. KOB

KOB Jedi Youngling star 4

Aug 22, 2004
    Ken - that flyer is great! Can you make about 1,000 of them?

Sure, but I'll have to do it by hand so they'll lose some quality.....

6. VoijaRisa

VoijaRisa Jedi Master star 5

Oct 12, 2002
    That my friend, would be one of your last actions.

I just got my authorization with 6ft swords. I can hit her before she's close enough to hit me.

I didn't see her twitch in the kitchen either, and I was with her.

I saw it too.

7. LeraTheElf

LeraTheElf Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 28, 2004
    I'll just throw something at you Jon.

So I twitch and don't notice it myself? K...cause if Jon says it must be true. Sure. I believe that.

8. Maygin

Maygin Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 13, 2002
    Claire, next time I say you just have a full-out seizure right there on the kitchen floor. ;)

9. LeraTheElf

Oct 28, 2004
    I think I will.

10. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Mar 17, 2003
    I think that would be scary. [face_worried] Don't do that Claire.

11. LeraTheElf

Oct 28, 2004
    And you'd probably be the only one sympathizing...

12. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Mar 17, 2003
    And you'd probably be the only one sympathizing...

:confused: I'm sorry, it's right for me to look out for you.

13. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    Hey! I'd be there helping you out too!

All right we've all spammed this thread enough. Let's move the social stuff to the other thread. Keep this for serious Structure change discussion.

14. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Mar 17, 2003
    You beat me to it Dajuan. I was just about to edit my thread again. ;)

15. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    Since Dajuan wants us back on topic, I might as well post my CR proposal I have been working on in preparation for the election. I will probably end up adding and changing things on here as we go on, but for the most part, this is what I want to see done around here.

First of all, I must say I am honored to be nominated as CR and for the Council. I proudly accept both nominations. It is truly humbling to know that you all have such faith in me, and I appreciate that immensely. I feel, since I have been nominated as CR, I should give an overview of what I feel needs to be done if I was elected.

What I Would Do As CR:

1)NEW MEMBERS: I must give full credit to Tim for this proposal. I feel it is essential for us to get many new members. For too long, I feel that the FF has had an aura of an ?old guard.? Now by that, I mean that there seemed to be a select group of ?main? members, with the rest on the outside looking in. I want to fully end that. I feel it is time for us to get new faces, new ideas, new visions into this group. I am not at all downing the group as it is now. I have made many new friendships and met many great people with the current group. But we need new people! I want us to be a home base, so to speak, for all Star Wars fans in the area, not just the few who find TF.N on the net. So I endorse passing out flyers at local comic stores, perhaps even book stores if at all possible. I would also like to suggest that putting a thread in the ?Welcome New Users? forum about how if a new member is from the area, that they should look into our forum. These are all issues I would bring up with the Council as CR.

2)FOCUS ON THE FAMILY: I want to make this group more family friendly. I know many of our members enjoy the Beer Meetings, and I endorse those fully for our older members. But I want an equivalent for our younger members, or members who don?t feel like drinking. So I propose, what I call, ?Borders Meetings.? I think it?s no secret I am a big fan of the EU, so that means I love the books. Borders has a wonderful selection of books, along with a café where we could meet up and just hang out outside of normal meetings. Obviously, Borders is not the only place we have to meet, but it?s just my first suggestion on making us more open to all peoples, regardless of age. Again, I would work with the Council to establish other locations.

3)MEETINGS: I want to establish meetings much more in advance. Too often, the month of a meeting we are running around trying to figure out a day which fits our busy schedules. I want to end that. I want us, as a group, to carefully select, for more than one month ahead, a day or days where we could all meet on. That way, we could get in time off requests in, or have plenty of time to rearrange our schedules. Organization, I feel, is the key to increasing attendance and getting us to move much more smoothly as a group. I have a few ideas of new locations as well. I hear that City Museum is a fun place to hang out, and it is open late. Also, I pledge, that if elected, I will try my hardest to get us, as a Fan Force, to a Cardinal game. There is nothing more appropriate for people from St. Louis and the area to do than see a ballgame.

4)ELECTIONS: This proposal is still just a thought I have, but I want to look into establishing regular elections. How is it fair we get to choose new leadership only when the current leader feels like quitting? Now, if that leader is doing a good job, then they?ll be re-elected. But if the group wants a new direction, they should be allowed to move in that way, at the allotted time. These same criteria would apply to the Council members as well. This is something I would have to discuss with the Council, as to how long a term lasts, how elections would be held, etc. But this is something I feel is worth looking into.

5)PHONE LISTING: I want to establish, as a voluntary thing, a list of member?s phone numbers with someone such as myself or a selected Council member. I had this idea when Maygin never posted after the January meeting, w

16. VoijaRisa

Oct 12, 2002
    Responses to your ideas:

1) I think that's something that the group as a whole is going to be involved in regardless of CR. You're just jumping on the bandwagon to look good.

2) Sounds good. But I don't think you've thought this through. The regular monthly meetings are more than friendly to younger members, but they don't show up. Why? Because they for some reason or another, can't. No matter where it was scheduled. Every effort should be made to allow them to attend, but only if they're able.

3) HA! You've never been a leader of an organization have you?

4) We've already discussed regular elections. I brought up the idea at the meeting and indeed, it's incorporated in a fashion, as well as the ability for the council or the fan force to begin a process to remove the CR or any council member should the need arise.

5) I don't think we need a centralized system. Most people have each other's phone numbers anyway.

I proudly accept both nominations.
    You nominated yourself. I'm skeptical that anyone else would have. :p

17. chiss_man

Jul 1, 2002
    1) I think that's something that the group as a whole is going to be involved in regardless of CR. You're just jumping on the bandwagon to look good.

Yes, I am. But are you denying that it's a good idea Jon? Besides, you failed to notice when I said I give full credit to Tim.

2) Sounds good. But I don't think you've thought this through. The regular monthly meetings are more than friendly to younger members, but they don't show up. Why? Because they for some reason or another, can't. No matter where it was scheduled. Every effort should be made to allow them to attend, but only if they're able.

I know, I'm more talking about having family friendly equlivelant of a Beer Meeting, is all. I just want to have "beer meetings" outside a bar, so that it would be open to all.

3) HA! You've never been a leader of an organization have you?

No, I'm naive and want to get organization in here. Sorry for trying that. :(

4) We've already discussed regular elections. I brought up the idea at the meeting and indeed, it's incorporated in a fashion, as well as the ability for the council or the fan force to begin a process to remove the CR or any council member should the need arise.

Good, let's expand on it.

5) I don't think we need a centralized system. Most people have each other's phone numbers anyway.

Then how come we didn't know whether Maygin was dead or not for more than two days?

And how could I nominate myself when I didn't even attend the meeting? :p

18. VoijaRisa

Oct 12, 2002
    And how could I nominate myself when I didn't even attend the meeting?

I thought you'd done it in this thread somewhere. Looking over it apparently I was mistaken. Amy was the one that nominated you. Oh well.

19. chiss_man

Jul 1, 2002
    No, I've told Dajuan in private many times I wouldn't run unless nominated by someone else. I was, so there we go.

20. VoijaRisa

Oct 12, 2002
    Good, let's expand on it.

Already discussed it and decided on what you see in Dajuan's earlier post.

21. chiss_man

Jul 1, 2002
    So I can't reopen making a term limit for CR? Please give me the voting record on that Jon, I am curious as to what happened on that particular issue.

22. jedi_runya

jedi_runya Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 4, 2005
    I am glad to see you though out some new ideas chiss_man. But if someone rushes in and tries to overhaul a good working system to fast, your base will crumble. One meeting for a 'beer meeting' and one for an official club meeting has been and will continue to work out.
    I think hanging up flyers is also a great idea as I have stated somewhere. WE do need new members; new blood is always great. :)
    As for elections, Jon has answered that one, as everyone who attended the meeting knows.

23. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    To set the record straight, Christian did not nominate himself for CR.

#1 is a great idea and I kick myself for not thinking about it earlier. Been kicking myself since I read Tim's post about it.

#5 is a good idea too. I have almost everyone's number as it is in my phone but to share would be a good idea. That could easily be put together and emailed to everyone.

#4 elections were talked about and still are an option for the CR, but we decided it wasn't necessary at this time. We outlined the "Kick people out" clause to deal with that. Something to discuss in the future though.

24. VoijaRisa

Oct 12, 2002
    So I can't reopen making a term limit for CR? Please give me the voting record on that Jon, I am curious as to what happened on that particular issue.

Of course you can reopen the discussion. But seeing that a consensus was just reached and without anyone disagreeing I don't think you're going to get much support.

25. chiss_man

Jul 1, 2002
    Alright then, I just never liked the idea of a CR having an unlimited term. I didn't realize it was just reached though...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.