main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

NEW Stormtrooper Picture.

Discussion in 'Archive: Scifi 3D Forum' started by Jackie_Chan_Fan, Jun 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. Jones

Dr. Jones Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 6, 2000
    I agree, with those textures you really reached the "ilm quality"

2. George Mezori SCIFI 3D

George Mezori SCIFI 3D Scifi 3D Forum star 4 VIP

Sep 10, 1999
    Jackie.. any updates. Any animation ideas?

3. MKane

MKane Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    Wow, Excellent rendering.

BTW, I can see the multiple lights in a line to our upper left in the pic :D

Seriously, any chance you would spill the beans on the lighting setup/camera config you used to render that image. Is that a Brazil render?

4. Lord--Darth--Vader

Lord--Darth--Vader Jedi Youngling star 1

May 5, 2003
    Hey, is this model going to be avaliable for download, we are looking for a model of this quality for our film. Thanks for any help that is sent in!!

Jonathan

DE

5. Crunchy

Crunchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    guy hasn't been here since June, I wouldn't expect too much :)

He probably got picked up at a big fx house or something...wouldn't doubt it

6. Metal-J

Metal-J Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 14, 2003
    Oh my god, thats just wonderful

7. djr33

djr33 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2003
    wait a second... you're claiming you did that in CG? :D

great job, man. very realistic.

8. Wedge007

Wedge007 Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 15, 2000
    I haven't been here in awhile; just saw Jackie_Chan_Fan's render for the first time...

It's beautiful! I hope he comes back.

9. CrixDorius

CrixDorius Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 18, 2002
    I hope so too.

10. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 18, 2001
    I hope so commander....for your sake :p

11. Crunchy

Jun 29, 2000
    you know you guys keep periodically updating this thing is driving zoo nuts :) LOL

12. PapaFett

PapaFett Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 16, 2002
    Two fold bump...

Purpose 4: Drive Zoo Nuts

Purpose 5: Beg for an update from the Chan Fan.

Purposes 1,2,and 3 will be written and released 20 years from today

Purpose 6 will have cutsie little teddy bear looking things, I promise

13. jeffdotson

jeffdotson Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 2, 2003
    HOLY CRAP! THAT LOOK SO GOOD!!!!! I have to say thats like one of the best storm troopers ive seen!!!!!!!! Good work! If you get bored of the model, you can send it to me! Ill convert it to c4d.

14. Crunchy

Jun 29, 2000
    sure jeff, why don't you hold your breath till he sends you the model or better yet, updates this thread... LOL

15. fireresq7

fireresq7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 24, 2002
    Jackie_Chan_Fan: Where are you!!!!?????can we get a tutorial pleaseeeeeeeeeeeee!
    ~Rory

16. Crunchy

Jun 29, 2000
    hold your breath along with jeff, rory ;)

LOL

17. fireresq7

Oct 24, 2002
    alwell I just downloaded the Sand Trooper and he looks good enough.
    ~Rory

18. Jackie_Chan_Fan

Jackie_Chan_Fan Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 7, 2002
    Well i dont know about you guys but i still love these shots.

[image=http://www.mystupidworld.com/dump/trooper/St_mapping01.94.jpg]

[image=http://www.mystupidworld.com/dump/trooper/reflection_pass_test_pose.1.jpg]

:) Sorry i havent been around. I've been kind of busy working on a game cinematic and i havent touched the trooper at all since the pic at the start of this thread.

I didnt want to post anything really if i didnt have anything to show. So nothing has been done since that picture was made.

The trooper is sitting on my hd.

I still want to animate it though. And again.. still not sure if i'm going to release it to the public.

I may release it after some bit of time. Perhaps once i do the sandtrooper version.

I'm also working on directing and editing a video project currently (NOT starwars releaged) Its an RC car related DVD product. I'm quite busy lately. I really am too busy...

BUT I DO WANT to work on the trooper... and plan on it in time. I'm just about done with this game cinematic... so wwwwwooooooooooohoo that will be a big f'n releif. The work load on it is insane, and i'm working with mocap, directing, editing, did some modelling.. ugh.. lots of f'n work but its all coming to a close soon enough.

So the trooper will get some time soon. I hope. Expect the "Move Along" sandtrooper :)

Thats the one i want to model the sandtrooper after.

Now if i only have time. And I HAVE SOME INCREDIBLE reference from folks.

Thanks for the interest and kind words and i'm so sorry for leaving people hanging on something so interseting. I only hope i dont upset folks too much with the news of it not being released right now.

Personally i would love to do a cover for a Starwars magazine, or something.. or use it for some good purpose before relaasing it to the public. surely you understand. BUT work will continue on it.

The quest for perfection continues. One of the reasons i didnt mention anything on this forum lately is due to the fact i dont want to dissapoint anyone with the news of it not being ready for release.

But expect a sandtrooper version in the near future along with a decent test animation.

Of course if time permits. Which i seem to have very little of

19. Jackie_Chan_Fan

Sep 7, 2002
    Also the quesiton about the light setup and renderer...

Its mentalray using an HDRI image for reflection and final gather i beleive. (been that dam long)

It ALSO could be mentalray, and an ambient occlusion pass via DIRTMAP shader for mentalray.

Like i said.. its been a while so i dont exactly remember.

And the lights were just placed where ever. I dont know why there are that many interesting highlights. There arent that many lights in the scene. They maybe in the hdri file.

Anyways while i like that image... I dont think its that incredible because face of the helmet got flattened out by the fill lights... and that bugs me :)

Plus i tossed it together quick.

And as others point out the undersuit... which i really paid so little attention to at the time due the intense detailing of each part that i went through. Things became exhausting.

Factor in that i model polygon by polygon. The initial shape of teh helmet once i created a rough shape of it looked like this.

http://www.3dluvr.com/rogueldr/images/stormtrooper_helmet02.jpg

ICK... so refinement is the key to modelling, keep going, keep pushing.. keep refining...

But dam is it an intense process.. so the undersuit took the backburner position.

Actually i'm going to replace the brow trim and the trim under the helmet to make it more accurate... Its not entirely correct.

20. Crunchy

Jun 29, 2000
    LOL OMG!

Almost speechless :) I was almost positive you had gone on to bigger and better things never looking back. But it is great that you still stop by after all this time!

21. darthviper107

darthviper107 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 26, 2003
    Don't try to rush yourself on the stormtrooper or sandtrooper. The stormtrooper looks great, but don't feel like you have to release it as soon as you can, even though many people want it.

Good job :)

22. fireresq7

Oct 24, 2002
    what is mentalray?

23. Crunchy

Jun 29, 2000
    a ray that is used mentally ;)

24. PapaFett

PapaFett Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 16, 2002
    OMG, he's alive...

Welcome back JCF. No sweat on releasing it. I personally probably would never use it if you did release it, but I wouldn't mind analyzing the file some day.

Mental Ray is a renderer (probably the best next to Pixar's Renderman) and it is perfectly integrated into XSI, decently integrated in to Maya and shoddily integrated into Max6.

Which brings me to a question for JCF... What app did you model in (Maya?)? If it's XSI I'll eat my mouse, since I thought there were only one or two XSIers besides me here.

Good to see ya again JCF, keep us in the loop and don't worry about disappointing the folks who "need" your model. They don't really need it.

25. Jackie_Chan_Fan

Sep 7, 2002
    modelled in xsi

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.