main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

New TCG Player

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: TCG' started by BrandonBa2, Nov 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrandonBa2

BrandonBa2 Jedi Youngling

May 17, 2002
    Hello, I am brand new to the TCG world, I had played the CCG a lot, at least 5 times a day and on weekends we held events all day.

Now is the TCG as fun as the CCG? And if so can I have your reviews and prices of cards :)

Thank You

2. Jedi_Benji

Jedi_Benji Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 2, 2002
    I play both, And in all seriousness i think they are 2 different games. Even though they are both Star Wars based, i think they are too different to compare.

Also I am unsure of American Pricings for cards, however $AUS boosters are aroung $4, and I am unsure of singles :)

Feel free to ask anything ;)

3. Bacabachaui

Bacabachaui Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 24, 2002
    They are very different but I prefer the TCG since it is easier to find new people to play with, although the player base is currently not as large as the CCG was in it's heyday.

I have a review of how I feel about the game when it first came out here. the game has changed a bunch since then (for the better) and I encourage you to read some of the other articles in our TCG section that give different perspectives on things.

Edit: Welcome!

4. Capt_Piett

Capt_Piett Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2002
    I play TCG on rare occasions, just because player intrest is not there. So, I do pay the CCG a lot. But, sence I have been forced to Lansing for CCG tournements, I can play TCG tournements nearby!
    Anyway, welcome to the boards.
    Oh, prices:
    I can't remember. I want to say around $2, but that doesn't sound right. I'll get back to you on that.

5. RedneckJedi

RedneckJedi Historian, JediOKC Manager Emeritus star 2 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 20, 2002
    I won't get into the nitty-gritty (I've done so before on a number of "Who are you" type threads about the TCG), but I MUCH prefer the TCG to the CCG, just because there was so much setup involved in the CCG. A buddy and I messed with the CCG over a 2 day period when it first came out and just didn't find it worthwhile.

While the TCG has a methodology that takes time to learn, there's more focus on the battle, and it goes fairly quickly.

Regarding pricing, since you're new, you can get caught up pretty quickly and cheaply on the first 2 releases. Boxes of AotC and SR can be found for about $27 or less on eBay and Potomacdist.com. Both sets have a lot of cards still used today. You should be okay provided a rumored Set Rotation isn't implemented anytime soon. ANH boxes just dropped to $49 at both on-line sites, too.

6. Capt_Piett

Capt_Piett Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2002
    How much are Jedi Guardians boxes, just out of curiosity.

7. Q99213

Q99213 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 3, 2001
    Boxes run you roughly $70 from my experience, although sometimes game store owners will get them for less, and there's always e-bay (which is lacking in the TCG section lately)

As far as comparing them, I used to play CCG all weekend back in the day, and you can't really compare, although I think TCG is starting to get much more in-depth, like CCG. I loved the strategy behind CCG and the fact that you had the locations and such, which you can kind of see TCG coming to.

The thing I love about TCG is that it's so easy to get into and you can often play a quick game in a pinch, rather than a game lasting for hours like CCG. Now I just need to find some time to play with the people in my area, all of which have no time either :p

8. Bacabachaui

Bacabachaui Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 24, 2002
    Lately, more often than not, my TCG games have been very long. Upwards of an hour or more.

I was just thinking about that the other day and how different that is from when it first came out.

9. Q99213

Q99213 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 3, 2001
    Really? THat's awesome! I think the longest TCG game I've played was about 20 minutes. Of course I see that changing when ESB is released. Armor is going to be sweet! :cool:

10. RedneckJedi

RedneckJedi Historian, JediOKC Manager Emeritus star 2 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 20, 2002
    In my area, LS decks dominate. I've discovered that the short games are when the LS dominates, and the long games are when the DS has a chance at winning.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.