main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

New Themes?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Darkslayer, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I would like to put in a request for new themes other than the Carbon Chamber ones. I like it, but a change every once in awhile would be nice. I remember there was a whole bunch on the old forum. Speaking of which, you guys could make it like that - a different theme for each forum.

Just a suggestion to help make the site better :)

2. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Currently Xenforo's style limitations don't make it possible to have differentiated themes the way the old boards used to. Potential workarounds are being investigated, however. You'll know if anything comes of it.

3. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Ah ok. Great to see I wasn't the only one interested if you guys were already looking into it :)

4. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Yeah, we tried adding more themes when we were on the temp boards. When you add a new theme, the software rebuilds all of the existing ones. We hit a point where the boards crashed. Over in the Xenforo forums the recommendation is for only a few themes.

5. Loupgarou

Loupgarou Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 19, 2010
    From what I'm understanding the problem is in having themes to choose from, right? Or is it a problem from your end too? Because i'd be happy with it just changing from time to time, i don't need options. Especially with all the episode 7 stuff, when we get a real title the banner should relate.

6. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    The theme limit is due to the way the board software handles themes. Back on the IGN boards we could have a ton of banners because it was fairly straightforward to add new ones - images, a bit of script, and adding them in the banner section. Xenforo handles themes differently - adding a new one means a rebuild of all the existing templates. On the temp boards we had quite a few styles and one of the mods tried to add a new one. The resulting rebuild went wrong and basically broke the boards. The Xenforo help forums recommend only having a few styles.

7. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
    Can we at least get the poof-isms back?

Juliet316 likes this.