main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Colum, OH New thoughts on watching order...

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by DarthFloyd, Aug 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthFloyd

DarthFloyd Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2002
    So I'm listening to all of the back episodes of Star Wars Action News (why do I always find good things after they're almost 50 episodes in?) and in one episode Arnie (the main guy) explains a way to watch the saga that I completely and totally agree with (which should be a shocker to you guys, since I'm usually a strict follower of the 4-6 then 1-3 order). This new order (no pun intended) allows for the surprises of 4 and 5 to remain, allows for viewers not to know the end until the very end, and not to know the beginning until they actually need to know it. It also preserves introductions to many things the way most people saw them, while allowing the story to flow better, IMO. While there is kind of a huge break in the story (you'll understand in a second), try this out and let me know what you think.

Ready? The order is:

A new hope
    Empire Strikes Back
    The Phantom Menace
    Attack of the Clones
    Revenge of the Sith
    Return of the Jedi

I think, barring the fact that it will split Empire and Jedi by (at least) half a day, that it is probably the best way to watch these. You start off, not knowing anything except what is presented to you. You are introduced to everyone in the OT as most people have been. You feel the frustration and relief when the excentric little alien turns out to be Yoda, and the desperation when Luke finds out that Vader is his father. You know of "the other hope", but not who it is. Then, you take your knowledge of Vader and find out how he came to wear the suit and be full of hate. Then, starting Jedi, you know all about leia and luke being brother and sister, but are still wondering how the whole thing will end, without being ruined by knowing that vader is going to turn good again. And, even though its like a 9 hr break between empire and jedi, this almost helps with feeling how long and hopeless it must have been for Luke, Leia, Lando and Chewie to hunt for Han for the year between those films.

I think its brilliant. What do all of you think? Granted, it's not how Lucas wanted it (but really, do we care how Lucas wanted it?), but I think it does the most justice to the films in general, and to the story as a whole.

2. TravisTheGeek

TravisTheGeek Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 15, 2006
    You know, I had never really thought about reordering them, (Just go 1-6, duh!) but that's actually quite brilliant.

3. lazer310

lazer310 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Apr 23, 2000
    It is pretty neat to think about watching them in that order. But the reality is, people who would think to watch them in that order, probably dont need to. Like us. The casual first time observer wont even watch them 4-6, then 1-3. They are going to go 1-6.
    I guess it boils down to this. For fans, it's a practical way to watch them. For first timers, probably not so much. Just my thoughts.

4. DarthFloyd

Jan 29, 2002

Actually, I highly disagree. I've personally been witness to a bunch of people who have asked me which ones to watch first because they have never seen them before. Guess which ones I told em!

LOL

And besides, almost every time I sit down with the desire to watch them (I mean actually watch them, not just have them as background noise), I try to see them as if I am watching them for the first time. Granted, I have to do this alone - I don't think I can re-watch any movie if anyone else is present. I may want to get that looked at.

5. TyriaTainer

TyriaTainer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 16, 2002
    its a neat idea, but i still say 4-6 1-3

6. DarthFloyd

Jan 29, 2002
    I'm still heavy into 4-6 first, but I just thought that this was a neat idea. Maybe I'll show one of my kids 4-6 first, one of em this way, and the last 1-6 and see which one actually likes star wars in the end...lol[face_devil]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.