main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

New to forum, Into Jedi outfit making...

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by BarrissOffee, Jul 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BarrissOffee

BarrissOffee Jedi Youngling

Jul 14, 2002
    Just wanted to say hello and how stupid have I been to not find you sooner!! I have been at other prop sites and not a lot of info about costuming. I've made about 10 Jedi outfits, consisting of Obi, QuiGon and a Sith type Jedi outfit including robes. I've just bought the material to make my Bariss Offee and will be doing some research here before I begin that one.

Hello to all and looking forward to learning from all of you!

2. Jauhzmynn

Jauhzmynn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 16, 2002
    Hi Barriss Offee,
    Do you have pictures of your outfits? I'd like to see them. How did you get the costuming bug?

Padawan Mynn

3. BarrissOffee

Jul 14, 2002
    I hope I can get one of the pics to work, first time trying here...

I've not yet started the Barriss Offee costume yet, just got the materials. I've purchased a crushed velvet robe in midnight blue and a thick stretchy fabric for the dress. I'm getting leather to make my own belt and my husband is helping me with the belt buckle. I'll post pics when I've completed it. I currently have about 4 Jedi outfit orders I've been working on for friends and probably won't be able to focus on my costume until after DragonCon.
    :(
    [image=http://link.freepichosting.com/image.cgi/4504/0.jpg?x=600&y=400]

K, I don't think this worked. I may have to search for a better way. Looks like it may have to be saved as a .gif. ?[face_plain]

4. Kai-Rhann

Kai-Rhann Jedi Master star 2

Jan 12, 2002
    Here's a Link to your image, BarrissOffee. That'll make it easier for folks to view it, and I'm sure that they'll agree with me that it looks superb.

Welcome to the forums, by the way, glad to have you here...

--Kai

5. Primrodo

Primrodo Jedi Master star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    Impressive Anakin costume.

Did you make the entire ensamble, including the pouches?

6. Jauhzmynn

Jun 16, 2002
    Wow, Great job on the Anikan costume. :) Excellant.
    Padawan Mynn

7. GrayRacer

GrayRacer Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 14, 2002
    Out of curiosity, are those leather tabbards? They look like it. Very cool outfit.

How much did that cost to produce?

8. BarrissOffee

Jul 14, 2002
    Thanks! The pouches and buckle were purchased, but the rest of the belt my husband built, including researching the original Jedi food capsules and painting them. I wish the tabards were leather, but I actually was really lucky to find the right vinyl and then removed the thick backing from it to give it a thinner effect.

Thank you so much for helping me with that link! If you have a sec, can you tell me how you fixed it? I have a lot to learn yet about stuff like that on these boards! :)

9. Kai-Rhann

Jan 12, 2002
    You're welcome!
    Just check out the "markup codes"...each time you post, you'll see a link to it just below the text window. essentially, to link to a pic, or a page you type (without the quotes) "TheForce.net" That's really all there is to it.

Check out the markup codes, though...it's better at explanations than me. ;)

--Kai

10. Jauhzmynn

Jun 16, 2002
    I have a beautiful veelet cloak i hadn't a clu eto do with. Then anidea hit me. use it for a jedi outfit. Maybe some sort of dress gear or something.

I was going to use some emerald green suead tabbords and Obi. The Obi I'd wrap around once and secure at the back. what sort of secures should I use? Snaps maybe? How do you attach those? (it's in back so noone'd see it.) I might be able to hide them. Any tips for that?
    I hope it'd give it a "soft" look.

I'm not worried about it's weight or being hot. Cuz i freeze my butt off at conventions when they have the A/C on Hoth temps. <big shiver> :) I don't think the other Jedis would like me standing close to them to get warm.

So how's the idea sound. Think suaed will work?

Mynn

11. Kai-Rhann

Jan 12, 2002
    BarrissOffee...
    Ugh...I typed that link "how to" all wrong, and ended up making a link. Essentially, what I was trying to show you was that you enclose the following in brackets:

link=www.theforce.net
    then type in a title for you link, ie TheForce.net

followed by the following in brackets:

/link

Mynn...on the suede idea, I like the sound of that. One bit of advice: you may wish to either line the suede with cloth, make like colored tabbards from cloth to wear under the suede, or wear like colored tunics to start with. My concern is that suedes sometimes transfer their color to what's worn beneath them...sometimes. I've done some colored suede Renaissance Period vests and bodices, and haven't had it happen with mine...but have seen it on others... Just a thought.

--Kai

12. Jauhzmynn

Jun 16, 2002
    Thanks for the greattip Kai.

I definatly don't want green bleeding onto my silk tunic. :D I'm going to Line the suead instead of having two sets of tabbords. Do you use a single or double ply for the lining?
    Glad you like the idea.

Mynn

13. BarrissOffee

Jul 14, 2002
    Thank you for helping me with that. Maybe then I'll try another just for fun if you all are game? :)

Here's the Ep1 Obi...

[Ep1 Obi]

Woohoo! I think I did it! :eek:

14. BarrissOffee

Jul 14, 2002
    Thank You Kai-Rhann!

15. GrayRacer

GrayRacer Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 14, 2002
    Wow, please post all the pics you can. I've been staring at your 2 costumes for hours. They are beautiful.....pretty jedi costume.....(sigh)..if it were only real...

16. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    what sort of secures should I use? Snaps maybe?

Both Snaps (press studs?) or Industrial Strength Velcro sew onto the Obi will do the job. I used metal snaps but since my Obi is more tighter than my (normal) belt, it kinda like to unbutton here and there. :p

17. Jauhzmynn

Jun 16, 2002
    I won't use Velcro too noisy. I'll use snaps instead. Where can I find the snaps, and how are they affixed? Only stores near me for crafts are Micheal's and fabric places. DO i need any particular tool? ANy specific type you recommend?

Mynn

18. Jauhzmynn

Jun 16, 2002
    Barriss,
    Your Jedi EI outfit is amazing! Great work. So who is the model in the pic? How wide are the tabbords inclduing hem and how did you get them to stand up a little at the shoulder. Are far does this extand beyond the shoulder too? It looks like maybe 2 inches or so. I'm using doubled layers of natural colored raw silk. It matches my haori (similar to a Kimono buy same length at a Jedi tunic.)
    What type of stitching did you use sew them? IM me if you wanna talk in realtime chat. I definatly don't wanna goof them up. I have Y!messnager and MSN.

Thanks for anyhelp
    Mynn

19. Primrodo

Jun 23, 2002
    Friendly bump!

20. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    Assuming SNAPS are Press Studs, you sew them on and can be found at most Fabric/Sewing/Craft stores though not all of them will have the bigger size ones or plastic.

Mine are about 0.5cm diametre and metal.

21. BarrissOffee

Jul 14, 2002
    Sorry I've not been around much lately, due to a death in my family. I have just gotten to the end of my reading for the evening. The model is my hubbie. Also have a new site, www.funkyjedi.com with more pics of stuff I've completed but still have lots of stuff to finish.

Generally I use a 7" wide tabards, and that's cutting width. But I've made my own pattern for them so they don't cross at the bottoms and curve appropriately.

Thanks for your interest. Jauzhmynn, feel free to PM me if you want to chat! :)

22. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    BarrissOffee, I'm terrible sorry for the recent passing in your family.

Just a little question: for the tabbards you did for the Jedi Costumes, do you gave it a little curve for the area under the Obi? I notice an item on eBay where it's curved a bit to the side for this area, other than the usual curve on the shoulder part for Anakin's. Just wondering. ;)

23. BarrissOffee

Jul 14, 2002
    Thank you, I appreciate the condolences. To answer your question, yes, in the front and in the back. I haven't seen the stuff on ebay, but I had sewn the pieces together and kept trying it on with the sash, and finally was able to figure out what needed to be done and made a pattern. It basically comes in at an angle and then curves around the waist and straightens out.

24. Primrodo

Jun 23, 2002
    Welcome back!
    Sorry for your loss...It is great to see you here again :)

In question to your costumes, how is the Obi constructed?

And my offer still stands :)

25. Jauhzmynn

Jun 16, 2002
    Tabbords curve? Aww nuts, then I messed mine up.:-( Mine are straight all the way down. But they do stay put.(I pin them to my tunic at the shoulders so they don't fall off.) Mine are 6" wide so they don't wrinkle up at my back or front. Anyone have a pic of the curve? Is this an acutal "Curve" in the fabric or merely an artifact of the photograph or the angle the actor is standing?

Mynn

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.