main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit GENERAL QUESTION THREAD (What to read? Where to start? What's canon? What's not? Duros, etc.)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    there is also the witches of Dathomir from Courtship of Princess Leia.
    the nightsisters from Infinity’s End and Empire at War: Forces of Corruption.
    the nelvaanian shamans in Star Wars: Clone Wars

2. Riv_Shiel

Riv_Shiel Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2014
    If you are looking far removed in either direction there are many choices. The comics Dawn of the Jedi and novel Dawn of the Jedi: Into the Void begin over 25,000 years before the movies. The comic Tales of the Jedi, comic Knights of the Old Rebublic, video game Knights of the Old Republic and its sequel The Sith Lords, and video game The Old Republic and its various novel and comic tie-ins all take place around 4,000 to 5,000 years before the movies. Comic and novel Knight Errant, comic Jedi Vs. Sith, and Darth Bane novels occur around 1,000 years before the movies. As far as after the movies, the story is told continuously from immediately after Return of the Jedi out to 45 years later, but I wouldn't recommend anything after 30 years past the movies. Comics Legacy and Legacy Vol. 2 occur about 150 years after the movies.

Not in any meaningful way, that I can think of. The short story "Therefore I am" in the anthology Tales of the Bounty Hunters theoretically does this, but there is no real character development, it just sort of happens. Of course, it is not a story I would recommend anyway. The short story "Of Possible Futures" in the same anthology has a droid learn to understand meditation and intuition - while it might not be exactly what you are looking for, it is along a similar line. The novels involving droid I5 do involve him having a character arc where he realizes that he is already sentient, but they don't really detail how he came to be so. I think this arc occurs mostly in the MedStar novels, but it may have carried over to the Coruscant Nights series.

As has been covered above.

Authors seem content to not touch this. The closest I can think of is Darth Plagueis which details his experiments (but as I recall doesn't go into much detail over the midichlorians and their role), and a novel which discusses experiments to try to infuse non-sensatives with midichlorians - although this was more mentioned than actually a relevant plot point (I believe this was in Yoda: Dark Rendezvous).

3. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
  4. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008

5. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    Sorry. Can't figure out how to make Tapatalk work some days

6. kubricklynch

kubricklynch Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 10, 2012
    Are there any other fictional universes that compare to the size of Star Wars + EU? 7 films, 6 seasons of a TV show, literally hundreds of novels, plus hundreds of comic books and everything else... is there anything that even comes close? Only things I could think of would be Marvel or DC.

7. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Exactly, nothing even comes close to the scale of the films and the EU, which is one of the key concepts that makes Star Wars so unique and attractive to me. But no, the first chance they get to make films not done by Lucas himself, and they throw so much of it out the window in the name of convenience and creative freedom.

Random Comments likes this.
  8. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Star Trek.

9. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    The problem with claiming Star Trek rivals Star Wars in scale is, even though there are many more films and television shows, from a canonical standpoint that is all Star Trek technically is, films and television shows. Which isn't really quite as expansive as Star Wars.

10. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    Well, to be totally honest, I never really bought into the "one canon" myth (and to be clear, I do mean myth - Lucas was always fairly clear about the EU being "someone else's universe). So I'll admit I wasn't taking that into consideration.

VanishingReality likes this.
  11. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    Well, the thing with that is, even though the EU didn't mean much to Lucas, it was still kept internally consistent with the films and itself (at least until TCW), which means it still covers a much larger time period than just about any other fictional universe.

12. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    [face_rofl]

13. madslaust

madslaust Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 13, 2009
    Okay, used to be on here but real life got in the way. A friend was complaining about the EU / Movie deal, so I came to ask:

Are you still going to print new material under the 'Legends' banner going forward? Or are they going to stop making comics/books in the 'old' EU?
    Also, what's going on with Dark Horse Comics? They lose the license?

14. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012

So far it seems like there won't be any new material under the "Legends" banner, however some books from the old EU are being reprinted with the Legends banner on them (Kenobi by JJM is the most recent one I think). Dark Horse lost the license to Marvel. Starting from January Marvel will start 3 SW comic titles set in the OT era. They are also reprinting a big Omnibus with the original Marvel comics.

15. madslaust

madslaust Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 13, 2009
    Thank you kindly. I guessed that was the case, but wasn't sure.

16. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012

You're welcome :)

17. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    You overlooked the "until TCW" part of my post, which I would also amend to include TFU and the post-NJO.

18. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    No, I did not

19. DrCube

DrCube Jedi Youngling

Aug 2, 2014
    Big thanks to Iron_lord, JediKnight75, Gamiel and Riv_Shiel for the suggestions. Got a pretty good list going here, Book Attic's gonna love me.

Iron_lord likes this.
  20. Dartht Punk

Dartht Punk Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 17, 2014
    Marvel universe
    DC Universe
    Doctor Who universe

21. VanishingReality

VanishingReality Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2013
    I think that with the NJO (I'm on Destiny's Way) all the characters I love are the ones I had the lowest expectations for, like Jacen, Kyp and the Yuuzhan Vong. And the characters I had high expectations for, because they seem to fit more in the Star Wars universe (like Anakin and Jaina) I find bland because their plotlines stay as I expect them to. And just like with every EU book, there are the big moments of OOC depending on the author. (Like Leia admonishing Han for going on adventures after Chewie's death.)

22. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    Is there a general-purpose EU character discussion thread anywhere?

23. Captain RX

Captain RX Jedi Master star 2

Jul 30, 2014
    I can't decide if I should read Vader's Quest, Brian Wood Star Wars, and some older Dark Horse comics that I have access to or if I should just wait a few months for the new reboot stuff. I kinda don't want to ruin the new stuff by reading the old stuff since they tread the same ground but at the same time I can't stand waiting 6-8 months for the paperbacks of the new comics. What say you guys?

24. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    "Star Wood", as it's known, seems to be pretty poorly regarded. But if something's actually good, I'd recommend reading it regardless of whether it's going to be "canon" or not.

25. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Okay I'm almost finished with the Thrawn and Bane trilogies and I've been thinking about getting more into TOR era. Where should I start? I haven't played the game nor do I plan to. Is starting with the novel Decieved okay? Thank you