main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit GENERAL QUESTION THREAD (What to read? Where to start? What's canon? What's not? Duros, etc.)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    The former. It just happened to have a Sith at its head.

darklordoftech likes this.
  2. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    So I've heard that Crosscurrent and Riptide are pretty good. Do you need to have read LOTF to understand them or can you read them on their own?

3. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    There's a sentence in one LOTF books where Jaden is mentioned as being present. This sentence is the basis for half of his characterization.

So other than that one sentence that's summed up early on in Crosscurrent anyway, you don't have to read anything else to understand what's going on.

JediMatteus likes this.
  4. Darth_JRSH

Darth_JRSH Jedi Youngling

Jan 26, 2015
    Hey guys I am new to star wars forums and comics. I have always been a big fan and want to start reading the comics but I am not sure where to start. What are your recommendations?

5. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    KOTOR is really swell. Also far removed from the movies, so it's potentially easier to keep in line with the new canon than other eras.

Force Smuggler and spicer like this.
  6. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    I agree about KOTOR as well. I have to recommend Dark Times if you're interested in stories set immediately post episode 3. Knight Errant. Agent of the Empire. All are self contained stories that don't mess with the current canon and don't require any knowledge about Star Wars other than having seen the movies. I'd also recommend Legacy, but keep in mind that that comic is most likely going to be heavily contradicted by the new canon. Also, you can check the new Marvel comics, it's the perfect time to start, they have published only 1 issue so far.

pronker and Jedi Ben like this.
  7. Darth_JRSH

Darth_JRSH Jedi Youngling

Jan 26, 2015
    Awesome, Thanks. Those were two of my top choices, as well as The Dawn if the Jedi. Any thoughts on that short series? Also what era is the new Marvel starting in? I heard it was right around the iv ep.

8. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    Post-IV, like weeks and months after.

9. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Dawn of the Jedi is actually really good. Problem is that it's also really short and doesn't flesh out the world it builds as much as it could. There is a novel that takes place at that time, as well, which I've heard good things about but haven't personally read.

Marvel's new stuff is mostly around the Original Trilogy, yes. There is a Kanan series that's coming out in a few months that's shortly after Revenge of the Sith, but that's the exception. The rest are all between the movies.

10. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Dawn of the Jedi was a rare exception in that it was an Ostrander-Duursema series I came to dislike, primarily due to the characters of Xesh and Daegan Lok. Plus it got brutally curtailed by the transfer of the licence to Marvel. Their best stuff is the Vos epic and Legacy, plus Agent of the Empire for Ostrander.

Force Smuggler and spicer like this.
  11. Darth Zannah

Darth Zannah Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 28, 2014
    I'm not really a super expert on the EU but I have read Darth bane trilogy, Thrawn trilogy, labyrinth of evil, Darth Plagueis and shadows of the empire...anyway, while doing some research on the Thrawn trilogy I just found out that a prequel was made, Outbound Flight, explaining the origins of Jorus C baoth and Thrawn! I know I'm "late to the party" regarding this but I never knew this existed...I just ordered the book and can't wait until I get it! Thought I'd share that with you guys!

pronker likes this.
  12. Darth Zannah

Oct 28, 2014
  13. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
  14. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    those are all awesome novels, especially TTT, LoE, DP, and SotE

Darth Zannah likes this.
  15. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    And don't forget Survivor's Quest.

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  16. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    yep SQ is a good novel. To me you should read SQ first and then go prequel on OF

Riv_Shiel and Iron_lord like this.
  17. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I'm trying to get more into the Old Republic era. I got Deceived, but here's my question, can I skip Red Harvest? And go to Fatal Alliance and still understand? I'm not into the horror genre, but I want to make sure, I didn't want to be confused.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you!

18. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    Red Harvest is completely self-contained, it doesn't even reference much about the wider galaxy. It could be set pretty much at any period where the Sith are at large.

pronker, mes520, JediMatteus and 2 others like this.
  19. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    When it comes to the novels, "The Old Republic" is more of a brand than a series indicator. Though a few characters appear appear in two to three books, their plots are all self-contained and do not reference each other in any way. Funny enough though, two separate books, Deceived and Annihilation, each reference a separate TOR comic, Threat of Peace and The Lost Suns, respectively, while of the five books only two of them (Revan and Annihilation) tie directly into the game.

It's a weird little corner of the EU, and it doesn't help that their release order doesn't reflect their chronological placement. Going by release, the chronology is 4-3-2-1-5. So even though Annihilation is furthest in the timeline, it still fails to acknowledge any of the other TOR books.

20. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I recommend anything old republic.

mes520 likes this.
  21. Darth Zannah

Oct 28, 2014
    Im considering buying Shadows of Mindor...what are your opinions on this book? the plot synopsis sounds really good to me...

22. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    ^:)^

Darth Zannah and Force Smuggler like this.
  23. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000

It's my favourite. I can understand why some people don't like it, but holy monkey lizards that book is fun.

24. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Why didn't Sidious and Vader create a clone (with a genetically modified personality) from Luke's hand instead of trying to turn the real Luke?

Darth Zannah likes this.
  25. Darth Zannah

Oct 28, 2014
    cool...im placing my order right now