main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit GENERAL QUESTION THREAD (What to read? Where to start? What's canon? What's not? Duros, etc.)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jun 4, 2008.

1. patrickurrutia

patrickurrutia Jedi Master star 1

Feb 14, 2007
    Well as of right now, Im more interested in getting either Approaching Storm or Jedi Trial.

I just said I read the other prequel in betweener novels. I just want to know which of the two is better to buy and read.

Iron_lord likes this.
  2. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    The Great Gatsby.

3. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I've read Approaching Storm more often, and enjoyed it more. But then, I like Alan Dean Foster's writing style in general.

4. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Okay, I'll try to give you some info so you can make a more informed decision, then at the end I'll give you my recommendation.

In The Approaching Storm, Luminara, Barriss, Obi-Wan and Anakin try to solve that "border dispute on Ansion" mentioned early in AOTC; that is, they're trying to keep Ansion in the Republic and prevent it from joining the Separatists. This plot provides a bit of a look into the Separatist faction, what is important to them, what they're trying to do, etc. IIRC, you get some perspective from Shu Mai, which is relatively rare.

A significant portion of the book involves Luminara, Barriss, Obi-Wan and Anakin together, trying to accomplish their mission, and the two Master/Apprentice pairs are compared. Barriss plays the more traditional Jedi apprentice to Anakin's more unorthodox existence. Some of it was slightly worth reading, I suppose. Luminara and Obi-Wan are sorta played like two single parents sharing thoughts on parenting.

They got involved in some sort of ritual with the natives that's really, uh, silly to say the least. It's kinda bad, but so silly it's kinda worth reading.

There's a little primitive native that follows them around, he's a bit of a "cute" comic relief, like a Kowakian monkey-lizard. He's somewhat amusing at times.

Barriss has an interesting sub-plot with two, uh, brain damaged natives. I thought it was nice.

That's it for The Approaching Storm, from what I remember. Maybe others can provide more details.

Jedi Trial is supposedly about Anakin's Jedi Trial to Knighthood. It's more of a military fiction novel. It's written by two former soldiers and they get pretty damn detailed, especially in terms of logistics and all the things that are required to make a military campaign happen.

The plot is about the planet Praesitlyn, a major comms planet for the Republic, being invaded by the Separatists. This entire novel is basically about this battle and little else.

IIRC, Padawan Skywalker is sent with Nejaa Halcyon, Corran Horn's grandfather, to defend the planet. Kenobi is on another mission elsewhere.

Halcyon is married, and obviously Anakin relates to this.

The leader of the rather massive droid forces is a quirky Muun banker turned Admiral. Ventress has a very minor role, mostly a cameo.

So which interests you more, the characters and politics of The Approaching Storm, or the military fiction of Jedi Trial?

Personally, I have to recommend The Approaching Storm. TAS is dull and slow, but it's still more dense than Jedi Trial, which is horribly, horribly written with the perhaps the plainest prose in the history of Star Wars novels, and some of the worst characters. The Approaching Storm definitely has the edge in terms of weird amusement, and amusement in general.

For me, TAS was the better read, it's certainly more memorable due to some silliness, and I'm more glad to have read it than Jedi Trial, which was not only dreadful but mostly forgettable. Anakin's Jedi trial has been done elsewhere, and far better.

But if you have a real passion for military fiction, Jedi Trial might be better for you. Just don't expect good military fiction.

pronker, Taalcon, Grey1 and 2 others like this.
  5. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    i like Rogue Planet

Iron_lord likes this.
  6. Darth Zannah

Darth Zannah Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 28, 2014
    Should I check out Cloak of Deception or would I be fine if already read Darth Plagueis?

I hear the events of Cloak of Deception are basically covered in darth Plagueis...

if so does Cloak of Deception come off as boring politics?

7. Dante1120

Dante1120 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 5, 2006
    Read both. Cloak of Deception is hardly boring politics.

darklordoftech and Darth Zannah like this.
  8. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Cloak of Deception is closer to a political thriller than anything else.

9. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    I rarely appreciate political thrillers.

10. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Cloak of Deception is one of the best prequel novels. It's a must-read.

11. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    And it comparison to Darth Plagueis it probably has more plot. Especially more plot that you don't have to lash together yourself.

12. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    Oddly, I much preferred Plagueis...probably says more about me than anything, though.

13. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    i have it, i might have to refamiliarize myself with it.

14. Darth Zannah

Darth Zannah Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 28, 2014
    Cool..thanks everybody...you guys are all a great source for guidance...way better than those Amazon reviews!

pronker, JediMatteus and Gorefiend like this.
  15. Jedi_Jade-Skywalker

Jedi_Jade-Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2000
    I stopped reading Star Wars books after FOTJ Apocalypse (January 2013). Where can I find a list of books that have come out since then?

16. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    Well, the lazy answer is just to use Wookieepedia's Real-World Chronology starting with 2013. But I don't know if I'd actually recommend reading all of the books that have come out since then.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  17. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

At least read Kenobi, it is really, really good. :)

pronker likes this.
  18. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    Kenobi and Mindor. But i think NJO should be read if you have the dough, or an extensive amount of books at the library

19. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    Okay, this is sort of a weird question that I'm not sure I'll be able to find an answer to, but: has there ever been any reference to an equivalent of TV series in the GFFA? Basically every mention of holovids I can recall makes them out to be analogous to feature films; have there been any indications otherwise?

20. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Ryloth_Place ;)

Vthuil likes this.
  21. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    Good grief.

22. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

Though still less of a soap opera then the Republic Commando books. ;)

Valin__Kenobi likes this.
  23. Jedi_Jade-Skywalker

Jedi_Jade-Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2000
    Thanks for the suggestions. I have read NJO, LOTF and FOTJ (and am still quite bitter about several plot points from all 3 series).

Kenobi sounds very interesting, and I'll definitely check that one out. Mindor also sounds interesting.

Is XWing Mercy Kill similar to Allston's previous XWing books?

How does Choices of One compare to Zahn's previous books? I loved TTT and HoT but was a bit underwhelmed by Outbound Flight and Survivor's Quest.

24. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Yep also pretty much a sequel to the other X-Wing books.

Sadly not that well it is by no means terrible, but not great either. It is a Sequel to Allegiance, if you enjoyed that give it a read, otherwise feel free to skip though try to hunt down the Zahn Short Story Crisis of Faith, as it is really good.

25. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    Mercy Kill has a certain standalone quality to it, but it also works as an epilogue to the Allston X-Wing novels as a whole. Tonally and writing-style -wise, I think it's pretty similar to them. Would recommend.

I would not recommend Choices of One, however. It's sort of the low point of Zahn's opus, in my opinion.

JediMatteus likes this.