main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit GENERAL QUESTION THREAD (What to read? Where to start? What's canon? What's not? Duros, etc.)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Darth Zannah

Darth Zannah Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 28, 2014
    Just started reading Shadows of Mindor...it's kind of wierd seeing Luke as a General....I got to get used to it...

2. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    So does he ;)

3. sharkymcshark

sharkymcshark Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 12, 2013
    Corellian Trilogy - worth it?

For reference of things that I enjoyed, I quite liked Crispin's Han Solo Trilogy, the Black Fleet Crisis, and the X-Wing books.

Things that underwhelmed me include Courtship of Princess Leia, Vision of the Future (though I loved Spectre of the Past), and the Jedi Academy Trilogy.

4. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    to me the NJO plot was near perfect

5. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    No, sadly not really.

JediMatteus likes this.
  6. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I thought it had a pretty interesting take on Selonians at least. Mon Mothma's advice to Luke in the first book is interesting. And the basic idea (New Republic has to fight separatism without becoming tyrannical) foreshadows the PT.

7. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    yeah the Han Solo parts are good.

8. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014

Even though it takes place after the PT. ;)

JediMatteus likes this.
  9. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    yeah it foreshdows it because it is made later, but timeline wise it is earlier. lol

Iron_lord likes this.
  10. Darth Zannah

Oct 28, 2014
    i'm halfway through "shadows of mindor" (trying to finish in time for Heir to Jedi) and this is a great novel! totally feels like the OT and the pacing is great...can't believe this got mixed reviews...

Cheerios4u98, pronker, Vthuil and 3 others like this.
  11. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    me either, that is an elite novel

Darth Zannah likes this.
  12. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    Just a question with those up with the new releases - is the Rebellion still officially the 'Alliance to Restore the Republic'?

13. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    The first source to use the term was the ANH novelization: in Leia's speech, right before "Years ago you served (my father) in the Clone Wars":

"General Obi-Wan Kenobi," the mellifluous voice was saying, "I present myself in the name of the world family of Alderaan and of the Alliance to Restore the Republic. I break your solitude at the bidding of my father, Bail Organa, Viceroy and First Chairman of the Alderaan system."
    Kenobi absorbed this extraordinary declamation while Luke's eyes bugged big enough to fall from his face.
    "Years ago, General," the voice continued, "you served the Old Republic in the Clone Wars. Now my father begs you to aid us again in our most desperate hour. He would have you join him on Alderaan. You must go to him.
    "I regret that I am unable to present my father's request to you in person. My mission to meet personally with you has failed. Hence I have been forced to resort to this secondary method of communication.
    "Information vital to the survival of the Alliance has been secured in the mind of this Detoo droid. My father will know how to retrieve it. I plead with you to see this unit safely delivered to Alderaan."
    She paused, and when she continued, her words were hurried and less laced with formality. "You must help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi. You are my last hope. I will be captured by agents of the Empire. They will learn nothing from me. Everything to be learned lies locked in the memory cells of this droid. Do not fail us, Obi-Wan Kenobi. Do not fail me."

However, since this doesn't align with what's on screen, we'll have to wait and see if it's still in use.

14. EternalHero

EternalHero Jedi Master star 3

Feb 17, 2014
    I can't seem to find the thread for James Luceno's Tarkin, can anyone help me?

15. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Here it is.

EternalHero likes this.
  16. Darth Zannah

Oct 28, 2014
    I just finished Shadows of Mindor...a really fun book...captured the spirit of the OT...the final showdown was very different from other books...it was very abstract...taking place almost on "the astral plane" like some Professor X stuff in X-Men...the epilogue/debriefing was kind of awkard for an ending...didn't really like the whole whole holothriller discussion...it really messed up the emotional resonance I was feeling...but the line by Luke " I don't like redheads" was very funny!

Now it's time for Heir to the Jedi...

17. Shadow Trooper

Shadow Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jul 18, 2013
    Was the novel Scourge any good? I am a huge fan of the criminal underworld and the Hutts so I was thinking of getting it on my Kindle. I had never heard of the book or the author before, so I was curious if anybody here would recommend buying it.

18. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I liked it.

Shadow Trooper likes this.
  19. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I would, yes. It does a lot of things right, and it also very noticeably doesn't do a lot of things wrong. The one caveat I'd give is that it's adapted from a RPG adventure, so the plot is somewhat stronger than the characters.

Valin__Kenobi and Shadow Trooper like this.
  20. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I also liked Scourge. Not a bad book.

Shadow Trooper likes this.
  21. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

Scourge is great fun if you like Underworld plots and the Hutts. :)

22. Shadow Trooper

Shadow Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jul 18, 2013
    Thanks for the recommendations. I have decided to try this book out.

23. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    Are the Jedi Apprentice and Jedi Quest series worth reading? Just curious, as I have a interest in these eras.

24. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I liked the few I found - but I'm told that Quest in particular tends to play up Anakin's self-centredness and ruthlessness. He's far more "Young Vader" than "Older TPM Anakin" was the most common complaint.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  25. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008

the one with Qui Gon and Obi Wan?? Yeah that is great