main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit GENERAL QUESTION THREAD (What to read? Where to start? What's canon? What's not? Duros, etc.)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Jedi Apprentice is really interesting since it is one of the few places that went into details on what Qui-Gon was like as a Jedi, also the stories are really diverse, so if you can get them, give them a try. Could never really get into the Jedi Quest books though the Jedi Quest comic was pretty interesting.

Iron_lord and JediMatteus like this.
  2. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    Qui Gon and also Obi Wan as his young apprentice. jedi Apprentice books were awesome.

3. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    Thanks for the reply's everyone, I think I'll check them out.

4. patrickurrutia

patrickurrutia Jedi Master star 1

Feb 14, 2007
    Darth Maul Lockdown any good? Its that somewhat newer novel where he fights gladiator type fights or whatever.

I swear there was a story about him in a gladiator pit in some previous novel or whatever??

Force Smuggler likes this.
  5. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    It's decent. If you're like me and enjoyed the Bounty Hunter game then you'll appreciate some tie-ins to that.

And you might be thinking of Shadow Hunter, where he trained against gladiator droids at one point.

pronker likes this.
  6. patrickurrutia

Feb 14, 2007
    No. You're wrong. No offense.

It is Darth Maul Lockdown and I've seen it for paperback at Walmarr for awhile now.

I know it has gladiator combat which Maul gets involved in.

Is it any goid? Lockdown?

I was tempted to buy it, but I bought Razors Edge instead. I have enough Prequel novels already lol. Time for someone fun with the new Original Trilogy novels.

7. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Read the post again, I think you'll find the answers you seek. ;)

8. patrickurrutia

Feb 14, 2007
    Anyone else that has actually read Darth Maul Lockdown?

Is it any good?

9. Cheerios4u98

Cheerios4u98 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 4, 2015

I love hearing good things about Mindor. I loved that book! It honestly might be one of my favorites. Matthew Stover is probably my favorite Star Wars author. Its a shame that he's written so few Star Wars books... I feel like Shadows of Mindor gets a lot of hate but I really loved it. Its even better after reading "Shatterpoint."

10. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I have edited the thread title in the hopes it'll stand out a little more, since it's missed fairly frequently.

Probably won't help much, but fingers crossed.

I'll remove the reference to Duros if anyone (bar Jello) has complaints.

11. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Darth Master Titus , responding to your thread ---

While the Legendsverse may be non-canon in the grand scheme of things, it's still a huge universe of its own whose stories span tens of thousands of years and that's produced some truly great works. You can definitely find enjoyment in the books even if they're not going to impact Episode VII --- you mentioned that you just ordered Heir to the Empire and its two sequels. Definitely read them; they're classics in their own right.

The Bane trilogy and Plagueis are also part of the non-canon Legendsverse. If something in the new canon references an event or a character from a Legends book, then that event or character is canon, but the book in which they appeared is not. So, the only canonical details we know about Darth Bane are from his mention in The Phantom Menace novelization and his appearance in The Clone Wars cartoon. Some events from the Plagueis novel were referenced in the recent novel Tarkin, which IS part of the new canon, but the only canonical details we know about those events are the details that were revealed in Tarkin.

In other words --- the new canon has been picking, and will continue to pick, various details from the Legendsverse and bring them back into canon. But it doesn't bring all of their baggage with them. If the new canon says that there's a Jedi Master named Jorus C'Baoth with a white beard, then it's a new character --- Jorus C'Baoth's non-canon biography doesn't get imported with him. Even if the new canon says that Palpatine's old master, Darth Plagueis, is a Muun from the planet Muunilinst, no further details from the Plagueis novel are canonized along with that statement.

Does that make sense? A good analogy is when a comic book franchise gets turned into a film series. When Gambit appeared in X-Men Origins: Wolverine, yeah it was the same Gambit from the comics, but it was also a new character in a new universe with his own unique backstory and quirks. We couldn't say "Well he can't do THAT because of this event that happened in the comics." It's two different incarnations of the same character. Darth Bane currently has two different biographies for two different universes.

12. Darth Master Titus

Darth Master Titus Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 10, 2014
    It makes sense now. So basically everything other than the saga is now non-canon, meaning Sith such as Darth Malgus never existed in the canon universe, for example?

13. Jeff_Ferguson

May 15, 2006
    Yeah, Malgus is out. Beyond just the films, there are new books, comics, and short stories being released now that are part of the new canon, and the Rebels and The Clone Wars cartoons are in, as well. To keep up with what's part of the new canon, you can follow this thread or keep up with Taalcon's list here.

14. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I thought it was pretty good.

15. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I DON''T LIKE CHANGE, MAKE IT STOP.

No objections.; )

pronker likes this.
  16. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    We all change, when you think about it. We're all different people all through our lives. And that's okay, that's good. You've gotta keep moving.

So regenerate into The3rdQuest, already. :p

17. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    Does this mean that we can ask general questions of the Duros in this thread? Like if they contradict something?

18. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    My unchanging nature is what makes me your rock- and I couldn't take that away from you. It'd just be selfish.

pronker and Force Smuggler like this.
  19. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Do we know when was it established that the Tchuukthai species comes from the unknown regions?

20. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    So long as you remember all the people that you used to be.
    Where's The1stQuest?

21. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    In another castle.

22. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    So, he's my princess...?

23. Jeff_Ferguson

May 15, 2006
    I'm going to guess The Essential Guide to Planets and Moons, judging from the article's "Behind the scenes" section, but that's just a guess. It's been in the Wook article since before 2010, so it's definitely not originally from The Unknown Regions sourcebook.

24. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012

Thanks

I am a bit irritated how many things from TotJ later material decided was in/come from the outer rim territory or unknown regions. You would think those areas was white spots and “here be mosters” territory back then.

25. Cheerios4u98

Cheerios4u98 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 4, 2015
    I have a question for you guys. Should I read Death Troopers, or Red Harvest first? I know that Death Troopers was written first, but Red Harvest comes before it chronologically. In general I like to read in chronological order, but will Red Harvest make sense if I haven't read Death Troopers yet? Is Red Harvest more enjoyable if you're familiar with the events of Death Troopers?