main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit GENERAL QUESTION THREAD (What to read? Where to start? What's canon? What's not? Duros, etc.)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Obie-2-Kenobi

Obie-2-Kenobi Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 18, 2008
    What about Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader? That one was'nt too bad.

2. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    I actually quite enjoyed Dark Lord:TRoDV but Luceno has such a light style that it didn't come to mind at first. It certainly isn't a plot heavy book but it gets inside Vader's head as did the venerable Shadows of the Empire (which incidentally would be a perfect next read right after Dark Lord:TRoDV.")

3. keyz

keyz Jedi Youngling

Sep 3, 2008
    There aren't many novels that revolve around the bad guys but the darkest Star Wars novels I can think of are Shatterpoint and Traitor. Matt Stover writes in this dark, twisted, and surprisingly morally grey (at least for Star Wars) style. He has the new book, Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor coming up at the end of the year and you can probably expect more of the same from that one. Oh, and the first half of Legacy of the Force is about Jacen Solo as he falls to the dark side, but as the series progresses it focuses less on his point of view and more on Ben Skywalker and Jaina Solo.

4. The_Riot

The_Riot Jedi Youngling

Dec 9, 2007
    Hey guys.

So I've finally caught myself up EU-wise, reading about half of the NJO(the important ones only), and all of Legacy of the Force. Now, what I wanted to ask you experts is about this Legacy Comic book series. I understand it takes place in the way future but I don't know much about it besides that. Now, even though I'm a geek through and through, I've never been one for comic books. Actually, I've never actually read a comic book. It's just never been a thing that's caught my interest. So, being interested in story only, is the legacy comic book series worth the cash? Is it even good? Is there any other material I need to read to understand the series better?

Thanks for answering. :)

5. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    The NJO and LotF should keep you almost completely informed as to the references in Legacy. The Star Wars: Republic comic series would help for a few things, but I wouldn't call it especially necessary. As for quality, I'd say it's definitely worth it, and a step above a large number of novels.

6. Manisphere

Aug 25, 2007
    Speaking as someone who never read a comic before Legacy, I have to emphatically encourage you to pick it up. On this lit board, Legacy Comics is probably the among the most popular and well loved EU ever produced. One novel reader to another, pick up the first Legacy trades. Legacy 1: Broken, Legacy 2: Shards, and Legacy 3: Claws of the Dragon. John Ostrander, the series writer is tremendously good. Don't let the fact that this one is a comic scare you. It's as good as anything Star Wars has ever produced. Comics still don't interest me but Legacy and Knights of the Old Republic, I love.

7. Obie-2-Kenobi

Feb 18, 2008
    Agreed, I was'nt much on comics either. Then I picked up the TPB's and they are awesome! Can't wait for the 4th installment to come out.

8. AntJac

AntJac Jedi Youngling

Sep 23, 2008
    Wow. Just finished reading Darth Bane: PoD and it has left me wanting more. Superbly written.

Does anybody know of a novel that tells the story of Palpatine and his Sith Lord? The one who could cheat death? Sorry i forgot the name.

9. Manisphere

Aug 25, 2007
    There once was a Darth Plagueis novel on the table to be written by James Luceno. George Lucas killed it. He wants Plagueis to remain a total mystery as far as I know. We may never be permitted to know about young Palpatine and his master.

10. AntJac

AntJac Jedi Youngling

Sep 23, 2008
    Thats a real shame. Those books could have been legendary.

Really am looking forward to the third Bane novel.

This might be a stupid question and i apologise if it is but is it true episodes 7 8 and 9 are out in novel form now?

11. Manisphere

Aug 25, 2007
    George Lucas has expressed many times that there is no 7,8 and 9 to Star Wars. As far has he's concerned the story absolutely ends once Vader is turned and the Emperor destroyed. Lucas' boundless passion and love Anakin Skywalker is matched only by his total indifference to anything that comes after Luke cremates his father. In short there never will be any movies after ROTJ. Many consider The Thrawn Trilogy by Tim Zahn as being rightful sequels to the Original Trilogy. Check them out if you haven't already. They were the launching point of the Star Wars Expanded Universe as we know it.

12. AntJac

AntJac Jedi Youngling

Sep 23, 2008
    Ah i will check out the Thrawn books. Thanks for the that.

Sorry for the stupud question too.

13. Manisphere

Aug 25, 2007
    It's not a stupid question. You'd probably be pretty surprised about how often your question has come up. And questions are the point of the thread. That's why the thread title has four question marks.:p

14. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, ther'es no official" sequel trilogy", just popular fan concepts- Thrawn trilogy is mentioned most often in thsi context. Dark Empire is suggested occasionally due to some thematic simlarities it shares with the plans Lucas used to have for the Sequel Trilogy back before he made ROTJ. Some look to the NJO or Legacy for dealing wih Luke's decendants, etc.

15. Darth_SHOT

Darth_SHOT Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 11, 2004
    What do you guys think of the MedStar Duology? I really liked Reaves and Perry Death Star novel, and i know that the good doctor from that book is also featured in here. Are the books good?

16. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    They're decent, but I didn't find them very memorable. I remember being intrigued by the premise and characters set up in the first book, only to be disappointed with the follow-through in part two.

17. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    That's about the way I fell. The first book was great, with great characterization, interesting characters, and a fun premise. The second one, however, felt too much like the last five chapters were cut off the first book and stretched out to novel length. I didn't enjoy it as much, but the series is still worth a look.

18. Darth_Foo

Darth_Foo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    Medstar: two books that could've been one. kinda like how the Bounty Hunter Wars were 3 that could've been one really long book.

19. Tatooine_Ghost

Tatooine_Ghost Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2006
    I've Read these books.

Jedi Apprentice-The Rising Force

Jedi Apprentice-The Dark Rival

Jedi Apprentice-The Mark of the Crown

Jedi Apprentice-The Defenders of the Dead

Jedi Apprentice-The Uncertain Path

Jedi Apprentice-The Captive Temple

Jedi Apprentice-The Day of Reckoning

Jedi Apprentice-The Evil Experiment

Jedi Apprentice Special Edition: Deceptions

Jedi Apprentice-The Ties That Bind

Jedi Apprentice-The Call to Vengeance

Jedi Apprentice-The Only Witness

Jedi Apprentice-The Threat Within

Jedi Apprentice Special Edition: The Followers

Cloak of Deception

Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace

Rogue Planet

Outbound Flight

Jedi Quest-The Trail of the Jedi

Jedi Quest-The Master of Disguise

Jedi Quest-The School of Fear

Jedi Quest-The Shadow Trap

Jedi Quest-The Changing of the Guard

Jedi Quest-The False Peace

Jedi Quest-The Final Showdown

The Approaching Storm

Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones

Medstar I: Battle Surgeons

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

Jedi Trial

Labyrinth of Evil

Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith

Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader

The Last of the Jedi-The Desperate Mission

The Last of the Jedi-Dark Warning

The Last of the Jedi-Underworld

The Last of the Jedi-A Tangled Web

Han Solo and the Lost Legacy

The Hutt Gambit

Lando Calrissian and the Mindharp of Sharu

Lando Calrissian and the Starcave of ThonBoka

Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope

Star Wars Infinities: A New Hope

Splinter of the Mind's Eye

Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back

Star Wars Infinities: The Empire Strikes Back

Shadows of the Empire

Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi

Star Wars Infinities: Return of the Jedi

The Truce at Bakura

X-wing-Rogue Squadron

X-wing-Wedge's Gamble

X-wing-The Krytos Trap

X-wing-The Bacta War

X-wing-Wraith Squadron

X-wing-Iron Fist

X-wing-Solo Command

X-wing-Isard's Revenge

X-wing-Starfighters of Adumar

Heir to the Empire

Dark Force Rising

The Last Command

The Courtship of Princess Leia

Tatooine Ghost

Jedi Search

I, Jedi

Children of the Jedi

The Crystal Star

Shield of Lies

Tyrants Test

The New Rebellion

Specter of the Past

The New Jedi Order-Vector Prime

The New Jedi Order-Dark Tide I: Onslaught

The New Jedi Order-Star By Star

The New Jedi Order-Enemy Lines I: Rebel Dream

The New Jedi Order-Enemy Lines II: Rebel Stand

The New Jedi Order-Traitor

The New Jedi Order-Force Heretic III: Reunion

The New Jedi Order-The Unifying Force

Dark Nest Trilogy-The Joiner King

Dark Nest Trilogy-The Unseen Queen

Legacy of the Force-Betrayal

Legacy of the Force-Tempest

Legacy of the Force-Revelation

20. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Were you making suggestions or asking for them?

21. Obie-2-Kenobi

Feb 18, 2008
    I'm reading the HOT books right now, and will read SQ all in prepearation for the NJO series which I told myself I would not read. I did'nt want to see Chewie die, or Coruscant ruined, or any of that. Based on most of the feedback that I have received however, it sounds like I can't not read them. My question is this: I know that there are references and foreshadoings (is that a word?) to the Vong in stuff like Outbound Flight and Shatterpoint, but I think I came across one in Specter of the Past. Is this possible? The point in question is when Han and Luke come across an "Alien" craft that they cannot identify. I'm not quite finished with the book yet so if I'm mistaken, don't tell me what it really is.

22. Senator_Cilghal

Senator_Cilghal Jedi Master star 5

Jul 19, 2003
    Just a thought...you might check your local libray, perhaps the SCIFi-Young Adult/Kids section, to find many of the comics

23. Tatooine_Ghost

Tatooine_Ghost Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2006
    Making Suggestions.

24. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    To anyone who has read Galaxies: Ruins of Dantoine, is it worth reading? I have read some mixed reviews and am not sure if I'd like it or not.

25. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    Read the beginning part of the prologue with Loam Redge. That's the only interesting part of the book.