main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit GENERAL QUESTION THREAD (What to read? Where to start? What's canon? What's not? Duros, etc.)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Odolwa

Odolwa Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 12, 2013
    I read that a long time ago and don't remember much about it, But i remember it took me forever to read cause i kept losing interest too.

2. Darth_Henning

Darth_Henning Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2007
    You know, I was going to comment on the Bounty Hunter Wars books, but honestly, I think those are the only Star Wars books that I remember absolutely NOTHING about.

Other than the fact that they have to take place over an extremely short period because near the end of the last one, it mentions that the Battle of Endor was just about to, or just happened. Which means all three books occur duringROTJ... which makes little sense.

3. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I think the books tell many of the events in flashback, with some scenes set in "the present" - from Boba's escape from the Sarlacc onward.

4. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

All of Dark Times is great :)

No, not even remotely, if your looking for far more interesting Boba Fett stuff, pick up

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Omnibus:_Boba_Fett
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Boba_Fett_and_the_Ship_of_Fear
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/A_Barve_Like_That:_The_Tale_of_Boba_Fett
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/No_Disintegrations,_Please

spicer likes this.
  5. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I like the Bounty Hunter books. If you didn't reach the part with the hunters and the Shell Hutts you missed a good part.

Ordo N-11 and Iron_lord like this.
  6. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012

I recommend you read them all since the story is continued from one arc to the next, and you'll miss a lot story wise if you skip some arcs. However if you ask which arcs have non-humans as main characters, then "Parallels" and "Fire Carrier". "Into the Unknown" and "Path to Nowhere" are imo 50/50 on this matter, i. e. you can consider both the human Jedi and another non-human equally as main characters in the story.

7. Skywalker8921

Skywalker8921 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 9, 2011
    I read the first 9 X Wing novels for the first time last year. The Rogues Arc (1-4 & 8, Stackpole) was great; the Wraith arc (5-7, Allston) not so much, despite the Han Solo cameos and Book 9 (Allston) was so-so.

8. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    What is this, everyone and their brother doesn't worship Allston at the expense of Stackpole, I don't believe it. I like both of them equally.

Iron_lord likes this.
  9. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Ah Iron Fist is still the best SW novel ever. :p

Force Smuggler likes this.
  10. Duguay

Duguay Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 30, 2002
    Hello all, I recently read the Darth Plagueis novel and had an absolute blast with it. I always forget when I'm not reading him that James Luceno is an author whose prose really agrees well with me as a reader.

So, now I'm curious about the Sipho-Dyas character that Attack of the Clones throws out and Revenge of the Sith doesn't really deal with. DP really help to include the character, and to outline his role in the events that unfold with the ordering of the Clone Army and dealing with the Kaminoans. Does Sipho-Dyas appear "on screen" or in a scene in any of the other books? It's hard to get a sense of his character, as if he only exists a part of the mechanisms of the backstory's plot rather than a person. At a couple of spots, he almost felt like an extension of Count Dooku, though I don't know if that makes any sense. Does Labyrinth of Evil delve into the details of Sipho-Dyas's involvement and character at all?

Also, curious about Dooku as well. Are there any novels that go into detail about him as well?

11. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I can't recall- but I think he gets a momentary appearance in Cloak of Deception - another James Luceno book.

Labyrinth of Evil has Dooku's memory of Sidious telling Dooku about Sifo-Dyas placing the Clone Order (and to kill him, to keep the Clone Order secret) but not much more.

The Essential Guide to Warfare expands a bit on Sifo-Dyas's background and motives- but only a little - in the "Begin, the Clone War does" section:

The Grand Army began as a vision of Sifo-Dyas, a Jedi Master from the Cassandran worlds whose gift of precognition was tragically undercut by the fact that his peers rarely believed his visions to be true. Sifo-Dyas sensed that the Republic would soon face an existential threat - and so he sought an army that would allow it to survive, contracting with the Kaminoans to create it and supplying the initial funding.

But Sifo-Dyas never saw his army. He was murdered, and his secret project taken over by Darth Sidious. Sidious directed his apprentice, the fallen Jedi Count Dooku, to supply a prime clone to the Kaminoans, with the bounty hunter Jango Fett accepting the role in return for five million credits and an unaltered clone of himself, his "son" Boba. In his guise as Supreme Chancellor Palpatine, Sidious then funded untold billions of credits to the Kaminoans and to Kuat Drive Yards, whose Rothana Heavy Engineering subsidiary secretly created a slew of new warships and artilllery weapons for the army. Obi-Wan eventually discovered what was happening on Geonosis, but Sidious was untroubled. His plan had always relied on the Republic's arming itself. Sifo-Dyas had seen the future, but not the wheels driving what he saw, and had unwittingly helped bring about the very war that had alarmed him.

Dooku's early career gets covered in the Jude Watson Legacy of the Jedi young adult novel.

Duguay likes this.
  12. Duguay

Duguay Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 30, 2002
    That helps to cement that LoE is along the lines of what I'm looking for. I took Cloak of Deception out of storage as well after how well James Luceno's writing clicked with me.

Thanks for that excerpt, it nicely complements what the Darth Plagueis novel covered. The Sith must have just loved the irony of Sifo-Dyas's actions contributing to what he feared would happen.

More than ever now, like others have mentioned occasionally, I would love James Luceno to do a book about Dooku that covers the details of his rise to power as the leader of the Confederacy, a sequel that parallels or echoes Palpatine's own rise to power, while he and Palpatine and Sifo-Dyas set in motion the elements that eventually ignite the Clone Wars.

pronker and Iron_lord like this.
  13. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013
    Dooku is also featured heavily in one of my favorite Star Wars books - Yoda: Dark Rendezvous. It gives fascinating insights into his character, as well as Yoda's.

Duguay and pronker like this.
  14. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Can someone please do me a huge favour? Can you list all of Gilad's novel appearances in order? I think I may buy them and the guides I like again if I can. Y: DR did seem a insightful book but Ventress creeped me out. May get it again anyway. :)

15. CommanderDrenn

Oct 19, 2013
    Off the top of my head: (IU Chronological Order):
    Star Wars: No Prisoners, The Thrawn Trilogy, Hand of Thrawn Durology, Legacy of the Force (later novels)

16. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    He's in Darksaber, Ruin, Destiny's Way, Remnant, Reunion and The Unifying Force as well.

17. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Thanks, guys. :D

Um isn't he somewhere in LotF too? Didn't he die there?

18. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Yes- that's been mentioned:
    Revelation is the LoTF one which focuses on him.

19. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    Isn't it also the only one he's in? Unless he shows up in Betrayal for like half a second.

LOL, I knew as soon as he showed up at the beginning of Revelation after being absent for the entire series that nothing good was going to come of it.

pronker and Gorefiend like this.
  20. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

Especially given how the author was. [face_sigh]

21. Max Nocerino

Max Nocerino Jedi Knight star 1

May 22, 2013
    In my humble opinion. Read the Darth Bane trilogy.

22. CommanderDrenn

Oct 19, 2013
    I still have yet to read the end of LotF, and I seem alone in enjoying the first 4.

23. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The first 4 are fine. Wait until the second half of Sacrifice.

24. CommanderDrenn

Oct 19, 2013
    The reading order got messed up: I read the first one 3 times, and found it enjoyable. Then I read 2,3, and then 5. I have yet to read 4, still.

25. Odolwa

Odolwa Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 12, 2013
    I enjoyed em all.