Lit New to Star Wars Literature? What to Read?Where to Start? What's That Mean? Questions Answered Here!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Wun Hung Lo Jedi Youngling

Thank you for taking the time to make this timeline. I appreciate it and will reference it often as I make my way through these eras.
  2. Darkslayer Force Ghost

star 4
    Hey guys. I'm not new to the EU, but I am looking for more books to read. The ones that I have enjoyed the most so far are:

- Darth Plagueis
    - Revan
    - Darth Bane Trilogy
    - Labyrinth of Evil
    - Shatterpoint
    - Thrawn Trilogy
    - Force Unleashed

I already have Scoundrels, which I haven't read yet. Any other suggestions? I think Kenobi and Lockdown look good.
  3. Iron_lord Chosen One

star 6
    If you enjoyed Revan, and the Darth Bane trilogy, The Old Republic: Annihilation may appeal.

Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor could be thought of as a sequel to Shatterpoint - it's similar in style, too.

Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader is part 3 in the Dark Lord Trilogy (Labyrinth of Evil, RoTS, Dark Lord) - may appeal for that reason.
    Last edited by Iron_lord, Feb 14, 2014
    mes520 and Darkslayer like this.
  4. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 9
    Definitey recommend Kenobi, and I enjoyed Lockdown.
    pronker and Darkslayer like this.
  5. Darkslayer Force Ghost

star 4
    @Iron_lord @LAJ_FETT

Thanks for the recs guys! I think Scoundrels, Kenobi, Lockdown, and then Shadows of Mindor will be my next few.

May give Dark Lord another shot once I'm home for the summer. I tried it before, having read LoE and ROTS, but it didn't hold my attention. That was years ago though, so maybe it's time for another try. :)
    Last edited by Darkslayer, Feb 15, 2014
    pronker likes this.
  6. Jedi Knight Fett Force Ghost

star 4
    I think the Darth Bane trilogy are some good books.
  7. DarthBarrister Jedi Master

star 1
    I'm finishing up with NJO shortly and will be circling back to the PT stuff. Best to start with Darth Plagueis and go forward, or should I go with publication order?
  8. Todd the Jedi Mod and Sitcom Dad of SWTV

Manager
    star 5
    If you're just doing the PT stuff, chronological is fine. It's more or less the same as publication order, so it all flows pretty well.
  9. DigitalMessiah Chosen One

star 5
    Wouldn't it be better to read everything which Darth Plagueis references before reading Darth Plagueis so you can catch the references?
  10. Todd the Jedi Mod and Sitcom Dad of SWTV

Manager
    star 5
    Frankly, Plagueis is best enjoyed if you've read, say, 90% of the EU. It can still be an enjoyable read, but yeah, it's so chock full of references that it's best appreciated read after everything else.

But if you don't want to wait to experience 90% of the EU, then Plagueis can be saved for after Cloak of Deception, Shadow Hunter, Saboteur, Jedi Council: Acts of War, Republic: Bloodlines, and Maul: Lockdown. Or just after every prequel story (barring most of TCW).
    Darkslayer likes this.
  11. DarthBarrister Jedi Master

star 1
    I think I'm at about 40-50% of the EU, but in deciding where I want to go next following NJO, I'm realizing that just about everything I've read is post-ROTJ. So I'll read the books on that list before circling back to DP.

Thanks.
  12. Duguay Force Ghost

star 2
    Others are mentioning that it's helpful to have read a certain percentage of EU to better appreciate Darth Plagueis, however I've been very behind in keeping up with EU, and DP is the first novel I've read that is prequel-based. I have kept an eye on things, so I recognized that certain references were to a specific book or comic, and DP put various incidents into the context of a larger framework. It was like when I read through the post-RotJ sections of The Essential Chronology, to get the overview; then I was "zooming in" on the incidents covered by X-Wing stuff later on by reading the X-wing books and comics. Took a couple of notes while reading Plagueis, and that book got me more interested in "zooming in" on Shadow Hunter, Cloak of Deception, The Darth Bane trilogy, and Labyrinth of Evil. Now the challenge is deciding which one to read next!
  13. Oberst Hans Landa Jedi Grand Master

star 2
    97 pages? Wow… Well, I am not going to read every single one of them to find the anwer to my question, so I am just going to go ahead and ask:

I've never read a single EU book. If I wanted to read just one, which one would you guys recommend?
  14. Cushing's Admirer Chosen One

star 6
    Once again it depends what you're seeking.
  15. Oberst Hans Landa Jedi Grand Master

star 2
    @Cushing's Admirer Well, I have no patience whatsoever and Episode VII won't be released until 2015, that's a long time for someone who has no patience. So I just thought I'd give the EU a try. I don't know where to start, because there are too many books to choose from. So I just want a book that's fun and that'll get me hooked on the EU.
    Last edited by Oberst Hans Landa, Feb 24, 2014
  16. Iron_lord Chosen One

star 6
    Heir to the Empire is one of the most common points at which to "jump in".
  17. Oberst Hans Landa Jedi Grand Master

star 2

Cool. Thanks. Would you recommend Shadows of the Empire?
  18. Iron_lord Chosen One

star 6
    I'd say it's a pretty average book - not exceptionally good or bad. I'd recommend it, at least - primarily because it fills in the gap between TESB and ROTJ. Still, it has a few amusing moments in its own right, as well.
  19. DarthBarrister Jedi Master

star 1
    Regardless, you should really start with the Zahn Trilogy, then go from there.
    Oberst Hans Landa likes this.
  20. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 9
    Shadows isn't bad, and the advantage is you'd be familiar with most of the main characters. I personally didn't care for the Zahn books - I think his style put me off.
  21. JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    I'd say either Cloak of Deception of Labyrinth of Evil. They're both lead in books, so they add a lot to the movies. Although, the Thrown Trilogy is really good to. before the ST was announced, I would have called them an unofficial episodes 7-9. They are a great continuation of the OT.
  22. Cushing's Admirer Chosen One

star 6
    Many here act like The Thrawn Trilogy and Zahn are the peak of EU. I am not of this view. Like LAJ_FETT his style put me off. Ambush At Coreillia.
  23. JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    I think it's because his books often have the same tone as the movies. The majority feel very Star Warsy. He understands the universe and his first books added a lot to the universe. I think we could say they formed the basis for the EU. But I agree that he's not the pinnacle of EU authors. Luceno and Stover are far better. Also, I'd rate some of the one shot authors, such as Stewart, above him.
    pronker likes this.
  24. purplerain Force Ghost

star 4
    What's the origin of D'vouran?
  25. Gorefiend Chosen One

star 5