main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit GENERAL QUESTION THREAD (What to read? Where to start? What's canon? What's not? Duros, etc.)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jun 4, 2008.

1. aesium

aesium Jedi Master star 2

May 31, 2004
    Alrighty, here's a question. I tried reading both Allegiance and Labyrinth of Evil, however, I've not been able to finish them. I lose interest fairly quick. If I'm more intrigued by the NJO, LotF and post-LotF, do any of you think not finishing these will leave me in the dark about anything big?

2. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    The NJO, DNT, and LOTF have nothing to do with Allegiance or Labyrinth. Allegiance has Mara Jade as a main character. That is all it has in common with anything that goes on in the NJO which is at least 24 years later for her. Labyrinth of Evil is really the first book in a loose trilogy featuring the Revenge of the Sith novelization in the middle and Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith last. These are prequel books. Great ones but a totally different animal than post ROTJ books which you are interested in.

Now, if you haven't read some more relevant books relating to the NJO and beyond, I'll list a few for you. The Thrawn Trilogy is not to be missed. Nor is I, Jedi or The Jedi Academy. Take your pick and The Hand of Thrawn Duology (which I haven't gotten around to) which finally ends the Empire and sets up the political atmosphere that exists just prior to Vector Prime.

Now, do yourself a favor and head right into the NJO if you feel like it. You really need little back story for it. I would defiantly suggest at least The Thrawn Trilogy and I, Jedi as a starter but after that, go where you want to go.[face_peace]

3. NIHL

NIHL Jedi Youngling

Oct 20, 2008
    Hello, I'm new to the EU, and I was wondering what books I need to read before going into NJO. I'm already reading The Thrawn Trilogy, and then going to read Dark Empire, but I don't know where to go from there.

4. Manisphere

Aug 25, 2007
    I know I monopolize this thread and I'm lazily quoting myself here but it's an answer I've given to the same question you're asking: :D

5. NIHL

NIHL Jedi Youngling

Oct 20, 2008
    What about the Corellien Trilogy? I thought that one was important.

6. Manisphere

Aug 25, 2007
    There will always be some things you miss if you skip books. But many just aren't worth dragging yourself through if you really want to get to the NJO or later. And you can always go back and enjoy much of the Bantam stuff.

Many Bantam books are referenced in The NJO. The list I made are the "must read" books from my point of view. The Corellian Trilogy is a series that is mentioned in the NJO but I've never read the whole thing and it didn't affect my understanding of The NJO in any way. There are references to Thrackan Sal-Solo, (Han's cousin) and Centerpoint station but it doesn't constitute a "must read" IMO.

7. NIHL

NIHL Jedi Youngling

Oct 20, 2008
    So I can skip Darksaber then? What about the others?

8. Xicer

Xicer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 2008
    Yeah Darksaber isn't really necessary. And as for the Jedi Academy Trilogy, I didn't like it too much and much of the what happens is restated in I, Jedi anyway so if you want to you can just skip it and read I, Jedi. Then again you'll probably miss out on some stuff, so its really up to you and if you have the time. I'd say go ahead and follow Manisphere's list (minus Darksaber) and you might wanna through in Dark Empire II/Empire's End, as bad as they are they're pretty important to the EU in general.

9. NIHL

NIHL Jedi Youngling

Oct 20, 2008
    Can I skip I, Jedi and read the JAT instead? I, Jedi just doesn't seem too interesting to me. As, for the Hand of Thrawn, do I need to read that?

10. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Yes! Definitely read Hand of Thrawn. You too, Manisphere --- Vision of the Future is still yet to be surpassed on my list of favourite SW books.

Don't think of it as "needing" to read it, Nihl --- I was late to the party with the NJO, reading it from mid 2004 - late 2005, but going through the New Republic Era first was totally worth it. The New Jedi Order was fantastic with books like Hand of Thrawn for context.

As for I, Jedi --- I read it after finishing the Jedi Academy trilogy, and was able to get away with being familiar enough with Corran Horn in the NJO without having read the X-Wing books. :D I say go for it! I, Jedi is a wonderful read, too.

11. Manisphere

Aug 25, 2007
    I'm actually considering Specter right now. All evening I've been debating what to read on my procrastination list. Starfighters of Adumar, Cloak of Deception, Before The Storm, The Hutt Gambit and Specter of the Past. I just might follow your advice and commit to Specter of the Past (again). After MF, I'm in need an old fashioned Big 4+Mara fix.

12. Xicer

Aug 21, 2008
    I, Jedi is one of the best books I've ever read, and I think you'd love it too. If it was a choice between the two, I think you'll have better time reading I, Jedi than the JAT. Or you could read JAT first and then I, Jedi. Either way, I, Jedi is highly recommended not just for the EU info but also because of how good it is. And like Jeff said, it gives a lot of information about Corran Horn who is featured heavily in the first few NJO books.

13. NIHL

NIHL Jedi Youngling

Oct 20, 2008
    And what about the Darth Bane books? Does anything need to read before those?

14. Plaristes

Plaristes Jedi Master star 3

Jul 2, 2007
    You can read the Bane books without reading anything else. Path of Destruction references the first KOTOR game a lot, though, so playing that (or reading a summary) couldn't hurt.

15. Xicer

Aug 21, 2008
    The Bane books aren't necessary for NJO, but they're still very good books and highly recommended if you have even a small interest in the Old Republic Era. I'm actually rereading Path of Destruction right now. There are some references to the KOTOR games in there, but nothing that you'll be confused about. They can pretty much be read on their own.

16. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    If you're going to be reading the Darth Bane books, you'll definitely want to check out the comic Jedi vs. Sith. The second half or so of the first Bane book is essentially a retelling of the events in the comic in a severely more limited scope.

Even if you're just interesting in getting to the NJO, I'd still give JvS a read; it's a damn good comic.

17. NIHL

NIHL Jedi Youngling

Oct 20, 2008
    Also, does The Black Fleet Crisis Trilogy need to be before reading The New Rebellion?

18. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    No, it does not, but you really ought to read it anyway, and avoid TNR at all costs.

19. NIHL

NIHL Jedi Youngling

Oct 20, 2008
  20. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    The Black Fleet Crisis is a really quality trilogy. The Luke plot gets a bit slow, but the Lando plot is amazing and the main plot, with Leia and Spaar, is easily the best big plot between TTT and HOT. The writing is intelligent and the story is a real step up. The New Rebellion, however, is just a mercilessly stupid book. The writing is nothing spectacular, the plot is dumb, and the climax is absymal. It's one of the worst stinkers out there, right up with The Crystal Star, Jedi Trial, and Planet of Twilight.

21. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

New Rebellion had some good parts. Plus 3 saber fights; in those days, that was rare! But you're right, that awful finale battle. "What are they?" "I think they're TIE fighters."

Must ... not ... comment ... on that ...

22. snelson

snelson Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 21, 2005
    i'm with you havac on the crystal star. it is truly the worst star wars books ever written the chapters are twenty-five pages long and lacked plot i gave it two thumbs down.

my ratings
    ttt---10/10
    hot---10/10
    black fleet 7/10
    dark nest 9/10
    njo 10/10
    allegiance 7/10
    survivor quest 8/10
    new rebellion 5/10
    crystal star 2/10
    children of the jedi 4/10
    planet of twilight 3/10
    jedi academy trilogy 9/10
    lotf 8/10
    tcw 7/10
    tfu 7/10
    jedi trial 3/10

23. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    Darksaber's not there, and that hunk of bantha poodoo's usually lower than Crystal Star

24. Manisphere

Aug 25, 2007
    Am I the only one who likes Darksaber? Lower than Crystal Star?

25. Reww

Reww Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 2, 2008
    Aww after reading alot on just the last page I have to edit my book list. I was wondering when I get into the junior jedi knights and young jedi knights, I heard that they are made towards younger kids, but I think I am gonna read them. I was wondering how many pages they are? I am on the 2nd book of the thrawn trilogy and I guess I'm wondering how many pages I got before I reach like the New Jedi Order. I want to be able to get through Legacy of the force before 15 months is up and I don't see that happening. I think I had it down to 14.75 months if I read a book a week, which I'm pretty sure I can't continue.