Colum, GA new to the group

Discussion in 'South East Regional Discussion' started by jedi_kanol, Feb 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedi_kanol Jedi Padawan

hi my name is derek and i have been looking for a star wars local fan group here in columbus even though i live in harris county. Any way im glad to be part of the group and looking to be a big part

here is message boards that might intrest you

http://www.grandarmy.org/boards/index.php
  2. Cosmic_Knight Jedi Knight

star 1
    Hi, Derek. Welcome.

Forgive me for being a bit negative here, but I really hope there continues to be a group here in the Columbus area. So far, we have scheduled 2 meetings and one other activity this year. We began reserving a room at the new library for our meetings, and this is a very good place to meet, fire alarms not withstanding. Problem is, no one is showing up. At one point, I counted close to 20 'members' of the local club; some have posted here, most have not. Two of us have been to both meetings, only two more came to the the January meeting, and only two people showed up for the other activity. I think we have a good group of people, and we seem to get along for the most part when we do get together. I don't completely understand why participation has dwindled, but it has, and nearly to the point that it's not worth the effort.

All that said, keep an eye out here for further info. Hopefully, participation will increase and we can keep this going. If you do want to join, I encourage you to try to attend the next meeting to show your interest; same for anyone else who reads this board.

Thanks, and may The Force be with you.
  3. jedi_kanol Jedi Padawan

ill check the boards every day. so i will be at your next meeting. when ever that may be
  4. Phoenix21 Jedi Knight

star 1
    I'm glad you're showing such great enthusiasm, we could use it. We have costumers, collectors and just about all of us are convention goers.

Our meetings are held the 2nd Sunday of the month at 3pm at the Cols Library on Macon Rd. If you come in the main entrance, take a left down that hall past the elevators. There are two meeting rooms on the left (Synovus Rooms). We are in one of those.

Hope to see you next month!
  5. MotF FanForce Chapter Rep Columbus, GA USA

Chapter Rep
    star 2
    Welcome Derek,

Our business end of the meetings (and some functions) are on the 2nd Sunday at the Columbus Library on Macon Rd, 3-5pm, the room is great! Nice and big and loaded with all kinds of special equipment - we can watch movies, do power point presentations, etc. We also have a 'day out' during the month.

Added humble opinion. Actually. we have 3 functions in March: the meeting, a dinner night, and for those interested in costuming - an evening at Cassy's. We'll begin the costuming guild meeting with a presentation of available patterns, how to measure your size, and picking materials. Drew & Abby are our Costuming Guild liaisons. And, even if you don't want to costume, you can still come and maybe play video games, trivia or one of the several board games.

Hancock Fabrics just had a 99c sale on patterns, so I picked up several of them. Then after looking at them, they have that horrible 'dicky' instead of an under tunic. Oh well. I have also found a web site, www.fashionfabricsclub.com. Material suitable for the Jedi outfits start at 4.75 a yard, usually $10.

An annoucement was in the East Alabama of the Ledger Enquirer and will be a permanent annoucement. I'm looking into several other places to advertise.

I heard from 3 new families that are interested in joining. Some might not come to the regular meeting, but can join in on activities. I feel we are still a young club (we started with 2 folks, then 4, then 8...it will continue to grow, :)

One lady I talked to this week has a son who is very into Star Wars and wants to go in October to the Hospital. This is really great. The mother was glad to know we are a family oriented club.I've already had several folks asking about the 2006 Christmas parade. We need to find a company that will let us borrow a trailer. I know the new manager at Toys-R-US and we might be able to help out with Toys-for-Tots this Christms. So many opportunities within the community,

We have so much to offer the community and each other. We have super great people in the club, each with their special talents, ideas, and contributions.

I just wish we could the word out to the soldiers at Ft Benning...if they are into SW, it would give them something to do and not be stuck on base, so to speak. However, the base won't let advertise in the Benning paper. So, we need to consentrate there. Any ideas>

Well, best stop now :) before I wear your eyes out.

Cathy
  6. jedi_kanol Jedi Padawan

thanks for all and i mean "ALL" the imformation especially about the costume items looking foward to being there in march. march 11th i think if im not mistaken is the second sunday in march. like i said looking foward to it.
  7. MotF FanForce Chapter Rep Columbus, GA USA

Chapter Rep
    star 2
    It will be great to meet you and have you join in. Bring your friends <G>.

Email me with your home phone number & address @ dandylions72bhs@hotmail.com

Cathy
  8. MotF FanForce Chapter Rep Columbus, GA USA

Chapter Rep
    star 2
    Derek, sorry I couldn't make it Sunday. Didn't get back from B'ham in time. Went to celebrate our only living Aunt's 80th birthday. She is a kicker, let me tell you! She does everything at 80 (fishes, travels, camps, church, still cuts hair, gardens) and I hope I'm like her at that age.

My cousin had emergency open heart surgery Tuesday and he is doing well. Really gave us a scare. Anyway....

We have our 'activity night' this weekend. Hope everyone can make it. If you need more details, let either Holly or me know.

Bring patters, material, etc. I'm bringing the sewing machine and serger. If you have a table, please bring it.

I'm bringing pigs-in-a-blanket, a cake, and diet drinks. This should be fun.

And, if you aren't into sewing, there is still plenty to do - GAMES :)

We'll have the monopoly, both trivia, and I think Casey has the clone war game.

Cathy
  9. jedi_kanol Jedi Padawan

im going to bring my xbox and my star wars games i have four on the xbox just in case anyone wants to play them there more than welcome to. unfortunately i wont have my costume to work on but ill be there.
  10. MotF FanForce Chapter Rep Columbus, GA USA

Chapter Rep
    star 2
    Derek,

Can you bring your Xbox and games to the April Meeting? This would be cool presentation <G>

Cathy
  11. jedi_kanol Jedi Padawan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.