main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

New Trailer Visual Effects Glitches

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by John_FC, Mar 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JEDIBYKNIGHT

JEDIBYKNIGHT Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 17, 2001
    Happy Ninja - You're right. And it bugs me that you're right. You shouldn't have said that, man ! Awwww... :mad: I know this isn't really a spoiler, but still !

2. Happy Ninja

Happy Ninja Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 20, 2000
    You're not just jealous because I mentioned it first, are you? :p

3. princehamlet

princehamlet Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 6, 2001
    <"I am dying of laughter here .........

To think that ANY of you think you could TOUCH the artistry of George Lucas and/or the ILM artists is HILARIOUS.">

I swear TAC, one day I'll make you eat those words. We're a new generation of film makers. We work in the backgrounds on desktop computer with half assed software or even freeware. Still slowly but surely were creeping up. Even if were just the pioneers who start the revolution, we will soon say "The circle is now complete, you were our role models growing up, but now we are the masters" or I personally will say "The circle is now complete, you were our role models growing up, but now we am the masters"

4. Lord_Rive

Lord_Rive TFN Fan Films Staff star 4 VIP

Jun 29, 2000
    Really? You're going to say, "...we am the masters."...?

5. JEDIBYKNIGHT

JEDIBYKNIGHT Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 17, 2001
  6. Darth_Apporth

Darth_Apporth Jedi Master star 1

Nov 29, 2001
    Glitches in the thread for New Trailer Visual Effects Glitches?

7. DaftMaul

DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff star 5 VIP

Feb 18, 2001
    After saying we am the masters I like to hit them with 'all our bases are belong to us I find that really scares ILM :p

Joking aside, I actually admire your drive/ambition. Although you may not acheive your loftygoals, the higher you aim, the higher you should end up even if you fail.

8. DarkATX

DarkATX Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 14, 2000
    Truer words have never been spoken Daft :)
    Hey, look at me...if I'm nice to the spuervisor he might even let me ride the forklift at work :p
    Funny, I have at least a half dozen classmates who went onto bigger and better things in terms of working for visual effects houses in the immediate area...all because of one they were really good and two, they got their demo reel done...after 2 years I still have nothing to show for it...so if you want to grow start putting all your stuff on tape now and keep sending out those demo reels and if you're lucky you'll get a few great critques on how to improve and if you keep applying yourself, minding what you have learned you will get that dream job doing visual effects somewhere.
    :::gets off his soapbox and heads back to work to unpack meat and dairy products form the freezers :p :::

9. Avene

Avene Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2000
    To those of you who think you can take on ILM. Well maybe you can when it comes to rotoscoping sabers or maybe some simple compositing. But I'd like to see you write your own Maya API plugins, PRMAN shaders, scripts, build your own physical models, or anything else ILM are well known for.

10. Happy Ninja

Happy Ninja Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 20, 2000
    I can't remember who, but someone once said, "Even if you aim for the moon, but fail, you may land amongst the stars..."

Sounds good to me...

The way I see it, doing a fan film gives you a wide scope into doing, whatever it is you want to be doing. And if you do it well, you might get some recognition for it.

That's the reason why I want to do a fan film - learn to tell a story; learn to make a film; learn to rely on myself; and then transfer those skills that I will have gained on this project to something where I can venture out into the world...

It's a building block.

11. LUEKSYKWALKER

LUEKSYKWALKER Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 1, 2001
    i didnt like how the clone troopers looked.. they looked to CG

12. EddieZigg

EddieZigg Jedi Youngling

Oct 12, 2001
    Seen the trailer and thought "Ooohhh yeah!!"
    I personally cannot wait to see this baby.
    George Lucas is the man, ect, ect . . .

Mistakes ? that's what makes us human right ?

13. Ardens_Furore

Ardens_Furore Jedi Padawan star 4

May 14, 2001
    Even if you aim for the moon, but fail, you may land amongst the stars...

... and run out of oxygen on your spacecraft.

14. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    Or melt.

But seriously... from E2, I've just got a really kickass idea for a movie... possibly shot over the summer, called...

don't know yet. But it'll be cool. :D

15. princehamlet

Apr 6, 2001
    <"Maya API plugins, PRMAN shaders, scripts, build your own physical models, or anything else ILM are well known for. "> he he ho. Render-what? Whats so great about Renderman? It's faster maybe then the Lightwave renderer, but it really isn't all its cracked up to be. Go to http://www.exluna.com/ and download the free BMRT2.6, to get a kind of taste of Renderman is like. Renderman is like Maya. It's not the best but it's thought of as.

16. Obi-Timbo

Obi-Timbo Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 29, 2001
    I think there are some good views on this and why the sabers may have looked bad as well over here at Dv Garages Forumon the new trailer. Even Alex Lindsey adds a few words...

17. Corrin_Wyndryder

Corrin_Wyndryder Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 17, 2001
    Hey I've finally seen it :D :D :D

Is it just me, or were there Yellow Lightsabers?

And the Lightsabers looked fine to me. Remember, they're supposed to flicker a little because... because... it's part of the technology of Lightsabers. Yeah, that's it...

And otherwise, I think that Lucas is trying to make the look and feel more artistic. I thought the trailer was great.

Did anyone notice that the one Green Lazerbeam focused like the Death star gun?

18. DaftMaul

DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff star 5 VIP

Feb 18, 2001
    I noticed this a while ago, but didn't mention it becuase it's REAL geeky, but since this thread seems appropriate it seems lightsabres have a little flare going on when they ignite, as can be seen here
    [image=http://www.stormahead.com/images/geek.jpg]

As soon as the fanfilm makers get the hang of doing certain things (sabres) ILM make them more impressive each time to always stay one step ahead (and as for the rest of the stuff they're more than a step ahead :) )

19. princehamlet

Apr 6, 2001
    Has anyone downloaded the 30mb one of FilePlanet? It's on the main page, I would download it but I have 56k and have better things to do. But to anyone who has-is it better then the "Large" off apple.com?

20. Alex-Kushaan_Exile

Alex-Kushaan_Exile Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 29, 2000
    The sabers in most shots look finished and TPM-like (rain duel looks fine), but there are a few shots where the quality is undeniably awful (the last frame of the big Jedi battle shot at 1:58 is the best example). The other trailers were the same way, though. I'm sure they're just not done with those shots yet, so no big deal.

The only other real problem I had was the first clonetrooper shot. They looked like CG there.

BTW, "I'd like to see YOU do better" is no excuse for ILM to screw up, since they obviously have much more training and since this is their job (film critics aren't people who have made good films, but they can tell the difference between good and bad films). But again, I'm sure ILM just had to hastily finish a few of the shots needed in the trailer, and I can't imagine not seeing an improvement in May.

21. datoolman

datoolman Jedi Youngling star 3

May 13, 2001
    Sorry... with the budget this and any of the last SW films have had, they have no excuse for releasing any trailer with unfinished footage.

D

22. Nobody

Nobody Jedi Youngling star 1

May 4, 2000
    From datoolman:

"Sorry... with the budget this and any of the last SW films have had, they have no excuse for releasing any trailer with unfinished footage. "

Er, the VFX don't just pop up on the screen all perfect and finished. Just because they've got a big budget doesn't mean the FX shots are done months before the release. They have two months to work on them, I'm pretty sure they'll be fine and we'll all watch with our mouth agaped.

BTW, is your quote from Seven on Nine in "Tinker Tenor Doctor Spy"? I think that's where I heard it. :)

-nobody

23. Janz_Walker

Janz_Walker Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 9, 2000
    Hmm well if you guys want to pick it apart for technical glitches, be my guest. But I'm just going to sit back and enjoy it. I don't think looking through the movie or the trailer frame by frame was what Mr. Lucas had in mind when he set out to do this project. :)

SW Chris

24. DarthFoole

DarthFoole Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 23, 2001
    "Just because they've got a big budget doesn't mean the FX shots are done months before the release. They have two months to work on them"

not really. It takes a long time, a few weeks at least, to prepare all the film prints required for a big movie distribution. They don't have two months to finish. odds are, they're packing up to get prints made right now.

to everyone else:
    a critic is someone who knows the way but can't drive the car.
    -kenneth tynan

25. Jedi_Ross

Jedi_Ross Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 2, 2001
    Actually, a lot of the time, Lucas has given us unfinished, or less-than-perfect shots to keep our expectations lower, so that when we all run to the theaters in May we'll be surprised.

And remember that ILM and LUcas are breaking now grond with every Star Wars movie made. Ep. I was the first film to rely on bluescreen and small sets. THere's compositing in every shot. In Ep. II they seem to be taking it to the next level. A fast moving chase sequence on Corescant (sp) more character and CGI interaction, I mean, you'd make mistakes too if you had extensive CGI in every single shot in the entire film. Plus, an army of Clone Troopers? The only other CGI army that fought battles was in the Mummy Returns, and we all know how bad that turned out. So cut them some slack. :)

And I have no doubt that EP. II will be one of the best films of the year (the other might be The Two Towers).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.