main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

San Fran, CA New Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by AKAI_FETT, Jan 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JedHead1

JedHead1 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 20, 1999
    Olivia just happens to be in the latest TV Guide and on the cover of Playboy. Another one to add to the autograph list. ;)

As for the movie, I liked it a lot, and like Ming said, lots of robot fighting action. It's not meant to be a "thinking" movie. It is what it is - an escapist, action-packed summer popcorn flick! Those guys like Harry Knowles need to get out from behind their computers and get some sun and fresh air once in a while! So sad that they bash a movie before it even comes out - not that it matters, because people will see it regardless. Get a life (and a girlfriend). [face_shame_on_you] He should hang out with the "geeks" from the movie - they get out from behind their monitors and keyboards and party and socialize when the chance comes!

2. Harlock415

Harlock415 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 2003
    Those guys like Harry Knowles need to get out from behind their computers and get some sun and fresh air once in a while! So sad that they bash a movie before it even comes out - not that it matters, because people will see it regardless. Get a life (and a girlfriend). shame_on_you He should hang out with the "geeks" from the movie - they get out from behind their monitors and keyboards and party and socialize when the chance comes!

The irony meter just blew up on that one.

By the way, Harry Knowles is married. So unless he's in politics he should not have a girlfriend. Don't know about Massawrym, Capone, or Quint though.

3. Jedi_Tenken

Jedi_Tenken Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2000
    I think it all depends your expectations going in. Mine was explosions, robot carnage, and Megan Fox. WIN WIN WIN... lol To me for the plot I was expecting it on calibur with a Godzilla movie. There's no "real" plot but it's just fun to watch the crazy carnage and big things fighting each other. Slightly better than most Godzilla movies I think and the effects were far superior.

4. Harlock415

Aug 21, 2003
    I'll eventually watch this movie, but I'm not paying for it. I did not pay for the last one either, actually - and I saw that in the theater.

5. Jedi_Tenken

Aug 11, 2000
    Aim for the scrotum Rob... [face_laugh]

6. Jedi_Tenken

Aug 11, 2000
    $400 million word wide... Hmmm yeah, I think it did well... I smell Transformers 3. lol

7. Ms_Skywalker

Ms_Skywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 17, 2005
    My siblings went to see the movie yesterday BUT an hour after it started the entire mall was out of power so we had to evacuate! So I only saw the first hour :(

8. Jedi_Tenken

Aug 11, 2000
    I hope you got comped for another show. Besides... I imagine our local err... "procurement of media expert" is working on it as we speak. ;)

9. Harlock415

Aug 21, 2003
    Coincidentally, have watched the first hour also. It's so bad it's good. Found myself laughing out loud a lot. The Rock em Sock em Robots stuff is cool though. Was that a nod/homage to 10,000 BC in the beginning? [face_laugh] And of course there's the self nod to Bad Boys II. Seriously, Bad Boys II? Couldn't Bay get the rights to one of his better movies?

Best and most creative review I've ever seen. [face_laugh]

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/jahnke/jet063009.html
    Honesty may or may not be the best policy but it?s certainly one of the most valuable commodities a critic can have. If you?re writing an opinion piece, you owe it to your readership and yourself to be as open and candid as humanly possible. And so, Constant Reader, I feel it is incumbent that I level with you this week.

I could not bring myself to go see Transformers: Revenge Of The Fallen.

This was not a decision I came to lightly, believe it or not. After all, I?ve gone to see plenty of movies that I had little to no interest in for the sole purpose of writing them up in the Electric Theatre. But in this case, I felt that I had already decided months ago that I wasn?t going to like this movie. That attitude is the kiss of death for any filmgoer. You?re basically daring the filmmakers to prove you wrong and the only way they can do that is to make a movie so surprising, so engaging and so unique that you have no choice but to suck it up and admit you were wrong. And let?s face it, Transformers 2 is probably not any of those things.

Under the circumstances, if I were to write a review of this movie, it would be doing a disservice to the film, to myself and to all of you. Instead, I decided to bring in a guest critic. I wanted someone whose taste in movies I respect and trust but was also part of Transformers? key demographic. Above all, I wanted someone who wasn?t just willing to see it but genuinely wanted to. Fortunately, I didn?t have to look very far.

My guest critic this week is seven-year-old Max Haaga. If the name sounds familiar, you may know his dad, Trent Haaga, from such movies as Terror Firmer, Citizen Toxie: The Toxic Avenger IV, Easter Bunny, Kill! Kill!, Gimme Skelter and many more. Trent and I co-wrote the book Make Your Own Damn Movie! with Lloyd Kaufman and his movie Deadgirl will be playing midnights in select cities July 24 with a DVD release from Dark Sky Films following on September 15 (it?s already available in Region 2, so snatch up a copy if you can). Trent and his lovely wife, Lynh, graciously allowed Max to cover Transformers for me. Here?s his report.

[b]NOW IN THEATRES

Transformers: Revenge Of The Fallen
    Review by Max Haaga (age 7)[/b]

The movie was about the Decepticons wanting to blow up the sun. The Autobots were the good Transformers that wanted to stop them.

I liked when those little balls that the tiger Transformer, when he spit them out and they turned into little Transformers. It was funny when a chicken was on an army guy and the army guy said, ?Get off of me!?

There was lots of explosions. There were lots of helicopters and army guys.

I?ll give the movie one thumb up. My daddy said the movie made his soul sick and he wants his money back.

[hr]Great job, Max! I?ve included Max?s unedited original review above. That?s pretty much what my reviews look like before they get formatted for the site, by the way. A million thanks to Max Haaga (and his mom and dad) for this week?s review. Check back in a couple weeks for Max?s thoughts on Brüno! (Just kidding?I can probably handle that one myself.)

[/blockquote]
    [face_laugh] The link even has a scan of the original lined paper the kid wrote the review on.

10. Jedi_Tenken

Aug 11, 2000
    I think the kids points are valid... [face_laugh]

11. Harlock415

Aug 21, 2003
    [face_laugh]

Since you brought up Godzilla movies...The remote controlled 1974 Mecha Godzilla! http://tinyurl.com/lf8jye

12. Jedi_Tenken

Aug 11, 2000

Ah! That's awesome! I WANT!!!! :D

OMG it does all the attacks in Godzilla vs Megalon! Hahaha where's King Saesar?! hehehe...

13. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    This was on the Late Show a couple nights ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=capoqysbgI0

[face_laugh]

14. Jedi_Tenken

Aug 11, 2000
    I so missed it last night! Thanks for posting it! [face_laugh]

15. Jedi_Tenken

Aug 11, 2000
  16. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    "Transformers 3" set for 2011:

http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/take5-10-05-09.html

17. Harlock415

Aug 21, 2003
    Looks like Walmart is getting an exclusive IMax version of the Blu-ray of Transformers 2 http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=3510

18. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    Out on DVD and Blu-Ray tomorrow.

Best Buy will carry an exclusive Optimus Prime bust and a $50 gift card for Sideshow Collectibles, as well as have a savings of an additional $2 for the first two hours of business.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.