main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

New Trilogy vs. the EU

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by ThatWanFromStewjon, Nov 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThatWanFromStewjon

ThatWanFromStewjon Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 8, 2012
    Hi,

The Star Wars EU is a pretty monstrous creation.

If the story for the new trilogy features (as I pray it does) the original core characters of Luke and friends (I think Artoo and Threepio are a given), I am wondering if it has any place in it for the EU.

Lucas made it clear during the Prequels that the EU wasn't really a "canon" he'd adhere to if it went against his story. This was never really an issue as the EU mainly focused on the years after ROTJ or ancient times.

Let's assume that Luke is either the central or mentor figure. This would mean there would be a jump of maybe 40 years between ROTJ and Episode VII, to bring Skywalker's age into line with Hamill's as there is an old story that Lucas did once say this.

This I believe would put the trilogy in the midst ( or more likely) the aftermath of Jacen's fall and the death of Luke's wife. Not to mention the death of Anakin Jnr. And everybody's favourite Wookie. And that in the intervening years everything our heroes had fought for was destroyed, rebuilt and destroyed again.

Like JJ Abrams and team did with Star Trek, they had to basically ignore the canon and look at Trek from the point of view of the average cinema goer and not the fans. If that movie had had to carry the weight of its history it would have collapsed before they got anywhere near even casting.

Will it be best for the new Star Wars movies to ignore the EU and just bring back
    Luke and the others?

Should their children be the EU children, just loosely based on them or be brand new characters?

I think John and Jane Q. would be disappointed to find out that Han and Leia's son became an evil murderer?

I know I feel that way as it is.

Would you think that abandoning the EU is a small price to pay for getting our gang of heroes back on the big screen?

2. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    ThatWanFromStewjon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.