main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

New TV Series: Best Guess

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by highvoltage_999, Oct 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The2ndRest-in-Peace

The2ndRest-in-Peace Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 27, 2002
    >>Is it that expensive now? I was under the (mis?)impression that the first animatrix short (the CGI one) wasn't that expensive. eh *shoulder shrugg*<<

Well, keep in mind that "Final Flight of the Osiris" was a short, and probably had the benefit of accessing CGI models already created for the films for some elements.

The Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within, which was of comparable CGI quality, cost 137 million dollars to produce an hour and 40 minute film.

So, chopping that roughly in half for a hours-worth (factoring in potential commercial runtime) of show would be $68 million. Now, Lucas could obviously reduce that somewhat, since he also has access to previously produced CGI content, but still- you could probably produce almost a whole season's worth of episodes (we'll round down to 15 to account for possible reductions) in live-action for that much.

Now, the cost for all-CGi would obviously drop if Lucas settled for a lower cartoon-level look like Starship Troopers, etc. But I don't see that happening.

2. younghansolo

younghansolo Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 2, 2002
    I gotta say any post rotj story would be great. I love the idea about rogue squadron, but didnt Han Solo General that group?
    Personally i think George will do it post epiii because he seems determined to flog that prequel dead horse. He could well ignore a lot from the EU like he has done with his movies. E.g the han solo trilogy.
    Dunno mybe i'm a bit sinical? but i think it wont ever be exactly what the majority of fans want but something completely different.
    Nice to imagine though, - all those tie fighter/ X-wing dogfights damn that would be awesome.

3. 79-N-O-A-C

79-N-O-A-C Jedi Youngling

Nov 24, 2004
    I thought the high price for FF was because it was groundbreaking. As will all subsequent costs after the R&D has been done, would not the same CGI technology cost less (how much, i dont know)?

4. lightsaberdude

lightsaberdude Jedi Youngling

Nov 22, 2004
    I reckon it shouldn't be at any particular stage during the films in particular. Just random stories with no affect on continuity at all. As long as it doesn't screw with plot points of the films i'll be pretty happy with it. Stories like tales from jabbas palace and so on. random bounty hunters, smugglers, droids, pilots, imperials, jedis, whatever. Have the episodes have no real affect on each other as well, like different characters each time, maybe a two parter every now and then. Just a different story each episode about some one makin their way in the star wars galaxy let it be during the old republic or empire times. Not new republic tho, thats too difficult for a regular non star wars fan to comprehend i reckon.

5. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    They should make a Star Wars Movie who the two people Dicovered the Force and how one made the Jedi Order the other the Sith Order. It would be about 6,000 years ago or maybe 10,000 years!

6. jengafett

jengafett Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 2004
    http://iesb.net/star%20wars/starwars52004.htm

Here, it's Boba Fett, not confirmed, but likely.

7. HanJones

HanJones Jedi Master star 2

Nov 26, 2002
    Let's see. One web site citing a rumor from Harry's crew over at "It Ain't Cool News."

Dubious.

8. StarDude

StarDude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 28, 2001
    That new series has GOT to follow the droids and their adventures with Captain Antilles. Imagine how much weight will be given to their introduction in Episode IV.

Luke: "Have been in many battles?"
    Threepio; "Several I think."

Think Rohan Nichol signed on to do the TV show now that he's been confirmed as playing Captain Antilles in Episode III?

[image=http://www5.airnet.ne.jp/kaz/CHARACTER/image/rohan_nichol.jpg]

9. Lavaman

Lavaman Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 19, 2003
    I still think that the TV Series will be based on the Knights Of The Old Republic videogames. The large popularity of KOTOR would make this transition a great possibility. Also, us fans love Darkside Characters, and would love to see the History of the Sith. :D

10. StarDude

StarDude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 28, 2001
    If you really think about it, the wisest choice would be series following the droids' adventures between Episode III and IV. It's a perfect way to bridge the PT with the OT. And what better than showing it through the droids' POV? I can't imagine them going a different way. If they don't do this with the live action series, which I think they will, they'll do it with the next animated series.

11. Blackout

Blackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2000
    *cough*ain'tthatinfowiththepicclassedasaspoilersinceapostwaseditedtheotherdayforexactlythesameinformation*cough*

:) {||||| ?||} ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

12. Boba_Mack

Boba_Mack Jedi Youngling

Feb 24, 2004
    I think that's a fantastic idea, using the short stories from the "Tales of" series of books, lightsaberdude. They would be, if i remember pretty easy to do as far as special effects go, and they would be relevant to what people know about the movies anyway. I would definetly watch

13. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    *cough*ain'tthatinfowiththepicclassedasaspoilersinceapostwaseditedtheotherdayforexactlythesam einformation*cough*

It's about as far as I'd allow without going over. Merely knowing he's in it, without knowing anything else, is fine within the context of this discussion...

14. General_Grievous1138

General_Grievous1138 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 9, 2004
    Something about boba or jango or even better jaster or the mandalorian wars jesus that would be awesome!

15. HanJones

Nov 26, 2002
    It is sounding more and more like the series will be post-ROTJ. The Kevin Smith talk is boiling and sounds like it is getting close to being announced. If those rumors prove to be true, then we'll have Luke played by Mark Hamill popping up from time to time, so we're looking at post-Jedi timeframe here.

Come on "Rogue Squadron"!!!!!!

16. Darth_Monarch

Darth_Monarch Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 12, 2004
    <<It is sounding more and more like the series will be post-ROTJ.>>

Indeed, Lucas if I recall, I can't exactly quote him though, said that the movie era will be left alone after episode III. So no show between III and IV. But before or After is probably up for consideration. I would say after, if they want to include Hamill, and all they have to do is make it a generation after ROTJ.

So who would they show, hmmm? Jacen and Jaina Solo, and Ben Skywalker maybe. They already have the characters, and even then they could make it 18 years after NJO for Ben Skywalker. Luke would be around 60, the same age as Obi-Wan. There you go.

17. Skywalker2B

Skywalker2B Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 8, 2000
    Hmmmmm...I have a couple thoughts here.

First, I thought I read somewhere that there could be more than one tv show? This could allow for rumors of both a post-RotJ and an in between RotS-ANH show we're hearing now. We do know that at least one of them will be live action, but there could be one or more in either animation or CGI.

Second, concerning the Kevin Smith and Mark Hamill rumors, Mark is good at voice acting, so just because he may be in the series doesn't mean that he HAS to be playing Luke (automatically placing it in the post-RotJ timeframe). He could be an alien, or some other masked character in a between RotS-ANH series.

Personally, I'd rather watch a post-RotJ series, but will take whatever I can get.

Just food for thought.

18. HanJones

Nov 26, 2002
    If the rumors are true and the TV series is set post-ROTJ and will only have Luke making guest appearances, what existing minor characters from the films or EU characters would you like to see play major roles in it? What sort of new characters should they look at introducing?

My picks:

Wedge Antilles
    Corran Horn
    Rogue & Wraith Squadrons
    Mara Jade
    Booster Terrik
    Mirax Terrik
    Iella Wessiri
    Winter
    Kyle Katarn
    Grand Admiral Thrawn
    Ysanne Isard

This would be a great way to tie EU characters into the story, there would be a built-in audience for them, lots of already pre-existing merchandise that could be repackaged for consumption by new fans, etc. This would be a win-win for both fans and Lucasfilm corporate so long as the quality of scripts, acting and special effects was all up to snuff.

19. obiwan122586

obiwan122586 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 12, 2003
    I dunno. The whole idea of a SW television show is somehow kinda scary. Star Wars just doesn't feel like one of those things that can have a weekly show. I mean, that's what we have Star Trek for, right? Yes, boo and hiss me all you want, but Star Trek is a universe designed for the small screen, and Star Wars is the kind of epic that requires the cinema or a thick novel to be done properly. **cough**starwarsholidayspecial**coughcough**

But by the same token, Star Trek doesn't translate too well in other things, which is why, IMHO, the films, games, and books aren't that great.

I just think we should proceed cautiously here and not get too excited about our favorite saga hitting the small screen on a weekly basis. It could be a huge disappointment. But will I watch it every week anyway? HELL YES!

20. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    What Channel will this Star Wars T.V. series be on?

21. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    Calm it! We don't even have official confirmation of the series happening and you're already wanting to know what channel it'll be on???

22. TheCat

TheCat Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 21, 2001
    Why's it got to be one time or the other?. I'd love to see a pre-TPM AND post-RotJ era explored. With clever writing, the two could be successfully merged together with some kind of a common thread.

As it stands, this post RotJ era sounds frickin awesome to me!. Seeing Luke as an old Jedi leading a new band would just rock. He was the wide eyed kid I loved on screen when I was five. Seeing him all these years later and what happened afterwards would be a real treat.

23. dudalb

dudalb Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 14, 2001
    "It is sounding more and more like the series will be post-ROTJ. '
    With a caution about unconfirmed and proofless rumors, I have always though it would be post ROTJ because that would be the easiest to sell to a mass audience. The bitter fact is that a lot more people have seen the original trilogy then the prequels, and in a expensive show like this, you have to aim at the widest possible audience.
    I like the "CLone Wars" cartoon, but that is a low budget cartoon aimed at a specific audience. If you are doing a very expensive, widely promoted live action prime time series you have to aim at a much wider audience.
    If the Smith rumors are true it's going to be interesting since SMith is going to have to write for a wide audience,not just the Star Wars Fans.Sad to say, this might be happening because Smith's films have not been doing all that great. "Jersey Girl" was a total box office disaster.

24. SithSleuth

SithSleuth Jedi Youngling

Dec 23, 2004
    I'm very, very weary of a TV show based on SW. If it were to be done, how cool would it be to go back even further than TPM. I'd like the show to be about Sidious and how HE becomes a Sith. Time period is maybe 1,000 years previous. The show would need to be structured like Babylon 5, with an ongoing story arch. If it turns out to be like Star Trek: Voyager, based on a planet of the week format, the show is DOA.

In the book "Skywalking", Lucas has so many interesting directions to take a new show based on the initial draft revisions he did for SW. One things for certain, Lucas always uses ideas from previous material. So I bet the title is something like "Adventures of the Starkiller" or something to the effect.

25. JMaster Luke

JMaster Luke Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 7, 2000
    I wounder if Anakin was changed in ROTJ to hayden because lucas knew he was gonna make a TV show post ROTJ and the actor that played anakin before is dead (he's dead right?) so by have hayden being the ghost in the movie then he could make anakin involved in the TV show too. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.