main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

NEW TV SPOTS!

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Garth Maul, Apr 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Philagape

Philagape Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 18, 2005
    OMG Tragedy 2 is stunning. I LOVE that music ... unlike any SW music I've heard before, more like LOTR. Every ad I've seen has been merely cool, but that one makes me want to see the movie NOW

2. stormcloud8

stormcloud8 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    Actually, I would compare the music more to Black Hawk Down or Gladiator. Very cool stuff. I do hope it is actually in the movie. It is beautiful and mesmerizing.

3. Philagape

Philagape Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 18, 2005
    Yeah Gladiator came to mind. It also sounds a little like the Passion of the Christ.
    I mentioned LOTR because of the emotional appeal of it.

4. qui_gon_jinn_83

qui_gon_jinn_83 Jedi Master star 1

Sep 18, 2002
    Another thing.

I just realized how good Yoda really looks here. There were a few standout shots of him in AOTC I think (like the scene with Mace in the senate chamber) where he looked amazing.
    But here, he looks REAL. Of course, I haven't seen the film yet, but from these clips we've been seeing, it actually looks like he is THERE.
    It's quite amazing I think.

I also watched TESB today, and it's fantastic how well the puppet still works. The performance is absolutely amazing.
    After seeing the PT though, it is a bit sad that we never get to see him really move around. He looks so lifeless when he's hanging from Luke's backpack.
    That is the only thing for me that doesn't quite work, but it is not a big matter.

Even though Yoda was great when the PT hadn't been released, I feel he has so much more character behind him now. A history. It's really the same way with Obi-Wan, Vader and the Emperor.
    I expect (based on the reviews so far) that ROTS will enhance this feeling even more.

Kind of off-topic here, but had to share my thoughts.

5. NorCalBirdz

NorCalBirdz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 28, 2004
    I started to see one of these on TV but I changed the channel without hesitation. I'm so proud of myself [face_smile]

I did hear Palpatine say "I know what's troubling you" and then I think he was saying "For three..." before I changed the channel. I'm guessing he was saying something like "For three years you've kept your marriage a secret" or something. Or mabye he didn't say "For three.." at all.

6. stormcloud8

May 24, 2002
    I saw one of the ads on a widescreen HDTV at a bar last night, and it looked spectacular. All of the things that I had seen on TV at home or my computer screen looked so new and vibrant and outstanding on HDTV. I can't imagine how good it is going to look in the theater!

7. JediPrincessKas

JediPrincessKas Jedi Master star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Oh man, that is so good.

8. stormcloud8

May 24, 2002
    The full trailer was just on TV (they're showing ROTJ on a local station here) and it was the first time I'd seen it on TV...it looks SO much better than on my little computer screen window!

9. leelee

leelee Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 4, 2003
    Dang stormcloud, you should have seen it on the big screen, it looks a thousand times better! :D

10. stormcloud8

May 24, 2002
    I will! Just 4 more days!

11. leelee

Jan 4, 2003
    4 days? Are you going to a charity screening?

Napolean D. "LUCKY!"

12. stormcloud8

May 24, 2002
    GOSH!!!

Yes, I am.

13. leelee

Jan 4, 2003
    That's so cool storm, I can't wait to hear what you think :)

14. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Yes, storm - I'm going to send you 1 billion PMs, because I want to know your take on certain scenes.

I know what you think of SW fairly well, so if you love the movie, I know I will. :)

15. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    Wow, Tragedy 2 is excellent. I'd say it's easily on par with an actual trailer. My favorite spot for ROTS, with Seduction second. I think I just really like the Palpatine/Dark Side stuff. ;) That shot of him raising his arms to the Senate: awesome stuff. It's really the first we've seen of him acting like the Emperor of the Galaxy (he was more in Sith Lord mode in ROTJ).

In fact, these last three TV spots have really felt much more like mini-trailers than 30-second commercials (well, Tragedy 2 is a minute, so really just "To Protect You" and "Seduction"). I don't know whether it's the editing or what, but it's surprising. Even ones like Tragedy, while good, still feel like something short dropped into a commercial break.

And because I love this line and its delivery:

"The Republic will be reorganized into the FIRST GALACTIC EMPIRE!"

16. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    I love the delivery of that line. In a lot of ways, this movie is really going to be about Palpatine. And we know Ian McDiarmid's performance will not disappoint.

17. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    ... and I just noticed that if you frame-by-frame Tragedy 2, you can see a very brief shot of Padme that goes by so quickly you probably wouldn't even catch it when watching at normal speed. I don't understand why they did that.

This bit of scoring kind of reminds me of Requiem for a Dream. I absolutely adore it.

18. Lexi

Lexi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2002
    I noticed that one frame with Padmé too (I must stop looking at the ads frame by frame. I'm getting spoiled doing that). Maybe they want us to subconsciously like her more or something. :confused:

19. leelee

Jan 4, 2003
    yeah I noticed that too.. weird

20. stormcloud8

May 24, 2002
    We've been warned not to freeze frame! If you see anything nasty please don't reveal it in here!

21. Queenie Amidala

Queenie Amidala Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 7, 2000
    That had to be a screw-up.

EDIT - Don't worry. The shot of Padmé is one we've all seen before in the trailer. So, there's no spoiler. It's only one frame, and you can't see unless you frame-by-frame it.

22. leelee

Jan 4, 2003
    It wasn't nasty or spoileriffic though, it was just a random shot of Padme standing there

23. stormcloud8

May 24, 2002
    You know, the end of that last ad/trailer is really heartbreaking. Forget about the movie, that trailer alone has completely changed my perspective on Darth Vader. With that beautifully mournful music playing, when Vader rises up at the very end of the trailer, I just feel so heartbroken for what has happened. The little boy, the mixed up teen, the man who just wanted to love his wife...now trapped for the rest of his days in a broken body encased in machinery, alienated from love and friendship and anything compassionate in the world. So very sad. He doesn't look terrifying or menacing or powerful...I imagine the heartbroken and pitiful shell of a man inside who probably would rather be dead than living the life he has ended up with. With only the Dark Side and his cruel master to keep him company for the rest of his days.

24. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Exactly. Wait till you see the movie.

I want to know if stormcloud sheds a tear Thursday night.

Considering I was getting choked up watching the TV spots and reading the reviews, it's going to be hard not to.

25. JediPrincessKas

JediPrincessKas Jedi Master star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    You know, the end of that last ad/trailer is really heartbreaking. Forget about the movie, that trailer alone has completely changed my perspective on Darth Vader. With that beautifully mournful music playing, when Vader rises up at the very end of the trailer, I just feel so heartbroken for what has happened. The little boy, the mixed up teen, the man who just wanted to love his wife...now trapped for the rest of his days in a broken body encased in machinery, alienated from love and friendship and anything compassionate in the world. So very sad. He doesn't look terrifying or menacing or powerful...I imagine the heartbroken and pitiful shell of a man inside who probably would rather be dead than living the life he has ended up with. With only the Dark Side and his cruel master to keep him company for the rest of his days.

Just reading that made me sad. :( There is no way I'm going to walk out of the theater with dry eyes. :_|

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.