NEW WEBHOST - CHECK IT OUT

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by JediTAC, Sep 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: AdamBertocci
  1. Macho Jedi Master

star 4
    if i remember correctly from when i got my previous host name you have to wait a few days to use it
  2. Bobobear Jedi Knight

star 1
    ...and it's a canadian host, to boot! hmm, I might switch over from readyhosting...
  3. Tri-Som_Gare Jedi Knight

star 3
    You ahve to wait a few days and change the name servers at the company you registered the domain with. If you did it through towerhist, then it was done through domain people. It was 2 days before everyone could hit mine. I was able to upload a start page and get there from a temp link. I am going to upload more stuff to test the download speed.
  4. DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff

VIP
    star 5
    Having had a PM conversation with Gare last night I realised I was supposed to change the DNS entries to my site! Doooh! I thought towerhost.com did that - so, I immediately went and did it (really simple), and now the site is ready for business. Hopefully it has propogated everywhere.

The site is pretty well the same as the old one, but obviously it is on new server. If anyone is linked to the old tutorials (on www.stormahead.com, or www.nutleys.com/darkskies) I suggest you change links to this site, as the other Dark Skies site is going down in the next few weeks (apart from the frontpage, which will link to this new site)

So in anyone gets the chance, maybe go to the movie section and test out the spiffy new server download speeds. I have finally uploaded a Sorenson version of the film, and a slightly better on2 version as well (500 pixels by 200) The Sorenson version is only 12 fps becuase I can't get it any better without making it huge. Maybe I'll try again soon.

But really the reason for the post is to thank Gare, and get people to try out this new webhost first hand. If it all works well www.stormahead.com will move over as well in due course :)

The Dark Skies link is in my signature.
  5. DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff

VIP
    star 5
    Information I just thought I'd share with the crowd...

My website/server was down for about five minutes yesterday, and it is currently down as I write this. I'm really hoping these are just problems becuase the site is so new ('net propagation) and not a full time problem with server reliability. www.towerhost.net is also currently down :(

I'll monitor this over the coming weeks and see how things go, and let everyone know.

EDIT: Okay, it's back up again. Down for just under two hours. Check out that site now then :)
  6. Sauja-Dupen Jedi Knight

star 3
    I signed up with OnMatrix.com the day before you posted.

The prices at OnMatrix.com are unbelievable, especially when you consider how much diskspace and bandwidth they offer.
    However, I don't have enough experience with them to really recommend them as a host.

I needed ASP.NET support, which Towerhost doesn't seem to offer.

I'll let you all know how they work out for me!

Sauja
  7. Tri-Som_Gare Jedi Knight

star 3
    No problem Daft, it is my pleasure. I have noticed also that the site has been unavailable several times already. Hopefully it is because it is new. It is always harder in the begining! I think alot of people have signed up, perhaps that may have seomthing to do with it. I'll check the downloads on your site from work today and let you know the results :)

On a side note, my band played last night to a great crowd and everyone there had a great time! I was hoping to see/meet some people from the boards, but I think it may have been a little far for a few of you :)

I am hoping to up some video to my site this weekend. I will post it when I have it finished so I can see what kind of downloads I get.

Gare

8. Tri-Som_Gare Jedi Knight

star 3
    Missed the edit time.

I was able to hit the site Daft. It appears the propagation has taken.
  9. DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff

VIP
    star 5
    Oh well, the site appears to be down again for me. :(

Can someone hit the darkskies link in my signature and tell me if it is just a 'local problem' for me, or the same for everyone?
  10. Lord_Homer Jedi Master

star 4
    darkskies link is working Daft :)
  11. DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff

VIP
    star 5
    Interesting. So it is a local problem, since it still doesn't work for me. Thanks for checking AJ :)
  12. Lord_Homer Jedi Master

star 4
  13. Macho Jedi Master

star 4
    lol, yeah it works daft and i was very impressed with the download speed...i think i will sign up sometime before i finish my trailer
  14. DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff

VIP
    star 5
    Sorry Homer Dude!

You know when you've had to much TFN fanfilms when you see icons and associate them with people (AJ posted up above so for an old gimmer it's hard you know?)

I checked out the link on Nikki's computer and it's up and running as well. In which case everything is spiffy, becuase the support service, and the download speeds are fine. Cool.
  15. Lord_Homer Jedi Master

star 4
    umm, I changed my icon to the one I have now. I used to have the one AJ uses now :)
  16. DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff

VIP
    star 5
    [face_laugh] Oh man that's terrible of me. I've just double checked and they aren't even the same icons. Gotta love dementia though Homer.

Wait....I hear sirens! What are those guys doing walking up the drive in those white coats?
  17. Amidala_Nutley Jedi Knight

star 1
    Thank God, they have finally come to take me away to some place peaceful, ahhhh

I will go and pack my bag ;) [face_love]
  18. Anonymous_Jedi Jedi Master

star 4
    LOL! At least I'm noticeable enough that Daft knows (almost) what icon I have :p

Anyways, turns out it wasn't towerhosts problem, Chris gave me the wrong information [face_plain]
  19. foxbatkllr Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I'm very close to getting webhosting from these guys. What's the max download transfer rate you've gotten from towerhost?
  20. DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff

VIP
    star 5
    My ADSL line only gives me 59k per second when it is totally maxed out, and when I download stuff from here it maxes out my line.

Just check for yourself (and no I'm not trying to pedal my movie :) ) but it's there for everyone to try. Go here and download something from the top links to see how it performs for you.
  21. guruguy Jedi Knight

star 1
    Daft,
    The line I am on right now maxes at about 161 k.
    With a standard download connection I get no more than about 60 k (60.4 k)from you.

I tried using my Getright downloader and used the segmented downloading and got the full 161 k.
  22. Night4554 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Cable, and I get Daft's at ~130 although it started at 306 ;)

¤Night
  23. foxbatkllr Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Sounds like some really good speeds. I don't know how much bandwidth I need though...should I go for the cheap plan or the one that costs 65 bucks? 2 gigs or 5 gigs?
  24. JediTAC Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I'm glad to hear that people are generally satisfied with their TowerHost websites.
    I will be sure to let Steve Legget (owner) know. :D

If you ever need to contact him (email), be sure to tell him that you are a friend of mine ... he is very excited with all the new customers he has been getting since I posted this thread, and he told me he wants to make especially sure that you are all satisfied and happy.

Same goes for anyone signing up for the first time ... tell 'em JediTAC sent ya. ;)

Just so you all know, I am not getting ANYTHING in return for this - no fee web space,
    no monetary kickback .... NUTHIN. I simply enjoy helping out friends - which includes all of you. :D

JediTAC
  25. Macho Jedi Master

star 4
    could someone explain what the transfer limit means? and yes tac, i know i can e-mail em :p
Moderators: AdamBertocci
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.