main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

new wotc books??

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: RPG & Miniatures' started by Xenomaniac, Nov 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xenomaniac

Xenomaniac Jedi Grand Master star 2

Oct 8, 2000
    what books are on schedule to be released by WOTC? On their website, they still list stuff from this past Spring as upcoming. I was just wondering because it seems like we haven't had them release anything in a while. Thanks.

2. FrobiWanKenobi

FrobiWanKenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 28, 2002
    They pushed back the Ultimate Adversaries book due to sub standard quality and artwork issues (and from what I've heard the new artwork for the book is going to rule). But that's looking like late spring early summer of next year.

Geonosis and the Outer Rim worlds is due out in the early part of next year (but I'm hoping for some advanced copies to be on sale at GenCon SoCal).

The Clone Wars Sourcebook is in production and should be ready by late summer.

Hope that helps.

3. dizfactor

dizfactor Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 12, 2002
    oh, good. all i had heard of was the Outer Rim book, and i was wondering whether WotC's support for the line was flagging.

the Clone Wars era book is welcome news. now all we need are a TOTJ/KOTOR era book, a revised NJO era book, and maybe an NR era book, and i'll be happy.

4. JediAlly

JediAlly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    Part of the PotJ and DSSB cover the TOTJ era. But they do need to do an update on the DSSB, NJOSB (Vector Prime to Star by Star), RESB, and Starships of the Galaxy to meet the rules in the RCRB.

I also believe they're doing a second NJOSB that covers the post-SBS books.

5. dizfactor

Aug 12, 2002
    Part of the PotJ and DSSB cover the TOTJ era. But they do need to do an update on the DSSB, NJOSB (Vector Prime to Star by Star), RESB, and Starships of the Galaxy to meet the rules in the RCRB.

IIRC, they've posted revisions for the DSSB to fit the RCRB on the WotC site. SotG, however, is in massive need of a revision, preferably on the scale of the UAA.

I also believe they're doing a second NJOSB that covers the post-SBS books.

i've heard that they were working on a revised NJOSB that covers the whole series, not just the post-SbS era. as much as the book-by-book approach was good for the original NJOSB, if there's a revised version i think it would be more useful to have it divided into more traditional chapters like Timeline/History, Ships, Characters, the Force, the Yuuzhan Vong, etc.

6. dizfactor

Aug 12, 2002
    oh, and what's Ultimate Adversaries? i can see it being one of two things:

- a GCG-style book on advice for creating memorable adversaries, which i'm not terribly excited by.
    - a collection of information on enemies other than the Sith, the Separatists, and the Empire, which i'd be frothing at the mouth for.

if it is the latter, does anyone know who will be in it? personally, i'd like to see a book cover the following:

- the Mandalorians
    - Black Sun
    - the Morgukai
    - the Hutt kajidics
    - the Chiss Empire
    - maybe also the Vong, the oft-mentioned but little-detailed Sun Guards of Thyrsus, the Anzati, and others.

7. DarthArraKul

DarthArraKul Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 30, 2003
    i just want some new books!!!!!!

and by the way .. a book with actual info on established adversaries would rock...

anyone out there remember crackens threat dossier???? that book provied years of back up villans... hehehhehehe

8. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    I'm certainly looking ahead to the release of that Clone Wars sourcebook, as it should contain a great amount of new material that will enhance a major chronicling project that's been going on for more than two years now, over in "Literature."

Heard that it's also likely to be the first volume of a two-book series; the second one containing information from the period closer to Episode III and the Jedi Purge.

The Geonosis and the Outer Rim Worlds volume also sounds like a great companion to the Coruscant one...I tend to pick these up more for the universe/historical data within than for actually participating/running a campaign, lately.

9. FrobiWanKenobi

Nov 28, 2002
    Bill and Chris didn't mention a second book during the SWRPG Update at GenCon. They were really excited about getting a preview of all the stuff going on at Skywalker Ranch last August so that all of that material (along with what has and will be in the Clone Wars novels/comics/TV show) will be covered in the Clone Wars sourcebook.

With the New Jedi Order nothing has been confirmed - however one of the most interesting ideas I've heard on the subject was to make a second book a campaign setting like venture like the numerous examples that D&D has.

I'd expect that the Ultimate Starships of the Galaxy book to be annouced for late 2004 or early 2005 since that seems to be a very good choice for the next revision.

One of the other concepts that was mentioned was a X-Wing Sourcebook covering the adventures of Rogue and Wraith Squadrons.

10. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    One of the other concepts that was mentioned was a X-Wing Sourcebook covering the adventures of Rogue and Wraith Squadrons.

[face_shocked]

You're kidding?!?

Would that include the now mythical "Lostworlds" material left behind in the original WEG sourcebook design (with attached MAS original fiction?)

11. FrobiWanKenobi

Nov 28, 2002
    If they are going to include that they didn't mention it (this is one of the few times that I've ever heard of it).

And WotC has spoken with Aaron Allston (who I got to met) about writing the X-Wing book but nothing is in stone.

I'm hoping to pick up some more info on WotC's 2004 SWRPG product line next month at GenCon SoCal.

Oh, Chris Perkins defined the Ultimate Adversaries book as a "book full of things to kill." Big droids (like the spider droids from AotC), new villians along with old EU villians.

12. Fingorfin

Fingorfin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 7, 2001
    So, it's a Monster Manual for SW?

13. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    I agree wholeheartedly that a new Tales of the Jedi/KOTOR-era sourcebook for the game is needed again. The original WEG book, while utterly excellent in its content, was only current up through the conclusion of The Freedon Nadd Uprising series, and contained almost zero information concerning the events of the Sith War.

With a new volume, they could not only incoporate the entire TOTJ canon to date, but also the events of Knights of the Old Republic (the Mandalorian Wars, Darth Malak & Revan, etc.), while also bringing up to snuff the play mechanics for the current system (for those of you gamer-gamers out there). With the success of KOTOR this past year, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see something announced along these lines in the not-too-distant future.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.