main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

New York Invasion

Discussion in 'Archive: London UK' started by citizenjohn, Dec 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. citizenjohn

citizenjohn Jedi Knight star 5

May 4, 2001
    Well not realy an invasion, more like a visit. I will be visiting your city in late March.
    As The NYC FF & The London FF are twin chapters, it would nice to meet up during my visit.

So anyone up for a meet?

John

2. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I'm sure we can arrange something.

3. Lord-Tice

Lord-Tice Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 20, 2001
    Yep, a meet will definitely be on order for your visit, John :D

And if anyone has any suggestions for John and/or the meet, please feel free to post....a pub lunch is a must though! ;)

4. Kiz-Joa_Janall

Kiz-Joa_Janall Jedi Youngling star 2

May 14, 2005
    Ooh Tice, I couldn't have put it better myself. [face_dancing]
    Twill be good meeting you CitizenJohn.

5. jamierichards

jamierichards Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 12, 2002
    and it's my birthday at the end of march...
    36!
    shocking.

6. citizenjohn

May 4, 2001
    Wow another Aries :). Im actualy flying out on my 32nd birthday so this is a bday gift to myself. And Koren yes it will be nice to meet everyone :)

7. timbolton

timbolton Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 14, 2003
    Hey John! Sorry I had't posted this yet, I was going to post a thread in between Christmas and New Year, once I was settled down with writing a lot of FF-UK work [face_blush]

I WILL come down to London for this as I told John chatting to him via PM, the only problem for me will be that I come down the Saturday before and I will have to leave the Monday evening (probably early but I'll check train times) - so I'll only see you for a short time pal :(

But I am 100% certain I will meet up with John, been too long since I saw any of FF New York City. Hope FF-UK London can have something good on for him.

Anything you are particularly interested in doing John? Touristy stuff or maybe like when Nat came down - see some SW sites (Elstree studios etc?).

Any Londoners up for a meet on Sat / Sun with me btw? Probs better the Sunday since I'll travel down on the Sat (or Friday if it's possible). Then I can spend some time wandering the capital :D

8. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    If you're limited for time I'd skip Elstree. When I went you couldn't go in (they don't do tours) and you could just barely see the 'George Lucas Soundstage' sign through a chain-link fence that had stuff piled against it. It really wasn't worth the train trip and walk on a real hot day. The rest of the main road was a mix of charity shops and other small stores. There was a shopping area with a WH Smiths but that wasn't worth the trip.

9. jamierichards

Nov 12, 2002
    as the resident elstree studios geek-i mean,expert-lordtice is the man to ask regarding all things elstree.
    i've never been and would very much like to go... but maybe by car.

10. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    Sadly Elstree isn't as good as it used to be a few years ago. Now with Big Brother being filmed there more often then not, all the gates have been heavily covered up where as before you could see right through into the studios.
    However, maybe this would be a good opportunity to visit Whippendell Woods in Watford, which is where they filmed the Naboo forest scenes in Episode I: Whippendell Tree

11. jamierichards

Nov 12, 2002
    ooh,good call lordtice!
    although,god knows what it's like getting there by train?

12. chrisfree

chrisfree Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 28, 2006
    Wow. This close?! What have I missed?!:oops:
    It does look nice. Perhaps I could make that my next walk. Might be cheaper than a £15 day return and looks photogenic enough for me. :D

13. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Actually you can get there by Tube - Watford is on the Metropolitan Line, though it looks like a long trip. (Look way to the left end of the Metropolitan Line on a Tube map). You can see a map of the area here.

14. chrisfree

Apr 28, 2006
    Thanks for the map!
    Lol, is that a boundary line between Three Rivers and Watford? We used to go to the Three Rivers for walks... about 10 years ago. [face_laugh]
    Memories. Now I really want to go.

15. jamierichards

Nov 12, 2002
    now all we need is for someone to find the spot where they did the filming.
    obi-wan being chased by the stap,etc...

16. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    I did a quick google search this morning to see if there are any location hunting nerds out there who have done a write up for Whippendell. I found one which explains where Jar Jar jumped into the lake to swim to Otoh Gunga, the only problem is they couldn't remember if you need to take the left or right path at the car park entrance :oops:
    I'm hoping to find a better one though, but I'm liking the idea of going to Whippendell very muchy!

If you have any tips for us though Chris, please feel free to indulge us ;)

17. chrisfree

Apr 28, 2006
    Erm, tips as in...?

Since the woods are left out of my London A-Z I had a look at the Memory Map and it doesn't seem such a big forest. I could scoure it in a day or two. I have like 3.5 gigs memory on my SD cards, I can take an awful lot of photos. ;)

That's my plan.

18. jamierichards

Nov 12, 2002
    i saw a website ages ago... actually,seeing as i can't remember what it was called,it pretty pointless even mentioning this... but there was this website that had some fairly detailed explanations regarding locations,trees,shrubbery,etc...
    damn my poor memory all to hell!!!

19. citizenjohn

May 4, 2001
    Hey Everyone

I got some questions before my trip

1. Should I bring my heavy winter parka or should I bring my lighter weight jacket? Im coming in at the end of March and was wondering what the weather is like.
    2. Ballcaps, does anyone in London wear them or would I stand out as a tourist? Im not talking about a Sports team ballcap, but I have a nice one that my work gave out that I like wearing.

Thanks

John

20. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Hopefully by the end of March it should be warm enough for the lighter jacket, with maybe a sweater underneath at night. However, the way the weather is going you never know. Keep an eye on the weather forecast closer to your trip to get an idea on temperature. If your jacket isn't waterproof you might need an umbrella as we normally get quite a bit of rain in the spring.

People do wear baseball caps in London. I see NY Yankees ones a lot. However they are considered 'naff' and a uniform staple of the chav class. (Google is your friend here..).

21. citizenjohn

May 4, 2001
    Ahh gotcha ;)
    Well my hat isn't a Yankee or Met cap. It has the CBS Logo on it, lol. Maybe I'll just wear it on the plane.
    As far as jackets, thanks :)

22. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    No problem. Let us know if you have any more questions! :)

23. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    John, do you have finalised dates for your London trip yet?
    I recall you mentioned the 26th-30th of March but just want to make sure :D

24. citizenjohn

May 4, 2001
    Matt

Yeah Im still coming out the 26th to the 30th :)

25. timbolton

timbolton Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 14, 2003
    I'm gonna look into the possibility of staying Monday and travelling up to Liverpool early Tuesday and going straight into work so I can spend all of Monday day and evening with you John. Hopefully I can get a fast train.

Any Londoners up for meeting on Sat/Sun with me if I come down for the weekend before too?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.