main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:NZ New Zealand Idol

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by SimplyThrilledHoney, Mar 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SimplyThrilledHoney

SimplyThrilledHoney Jedi Youngling star 3

May 19, 2002
    Is anyone else watching this?

It's funny ... I'm not sure if this is the classic Kiwi cultural cringe or not, but in my opinion the NZ contestants aren't a patch on their Australian counterparts.

For the most part the song-choices have been pretty uninspired, and there seems to be a distinct lack of personality.

2. Kitt327

Kitt327 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 23, 2000
    I've been keeping up with it. I made a few earlier comments in the tv thread.
    One of my fav contestants was Christina, but she got voted out in the round with Camilla and Filipo. Maybe I should have taken the time to vote, lol, but at a $1 a vote, I'd rather put the money in a charity collection box.

3. SimplyThrilledHoney

May 19, 2002
    Don't you just want to throttle Fiona MacDonald? (To think I actually liked The Headless Chickens at one point.) When she cried a few weeks ago, I felt embarassed to be
    a) a New Zealander, and
    b) a human being ...

I really liked Jessie at her first audition, but I don;t think she's been up to scratch the last few times she's sung.

4. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Well, regardless of Fiona's present antics, I still think Vicarious is a classic album. :p

I watch Idol at the inlaws on Sunday nights, but don't really care enough to watch the drawn out eviction thing on Mondays. It's amusing and all, and yes I totally agree that this lot is pretty uninspiring on the whole.

As Finlay Macdonald said on bFM last week, maybe the standard of singer is about the same, but the entire show's format is tired now. Format fatigue, I think he called it.

I don't think Dominic helps either. They should have given that gig to Mikey, News or Slave & Otis. You know, someone with a personality.

5. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    Don't you just want to throttle Fiona MacDonald?

Yeah.. she's a great singer, but keep her off the TV plz.. :p

Does anyone know how many people actually watch NZ Idol? The few times I've actually watched it, I got the strangest feeling that the amount of "votes" these guys get are pretty small...

6. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    I think you'd be hard pressed to find a correlation between viewer numbers and votes received. ;)

7. SimplyThrilledHoney

May 19, 2002
    I don't think Dominic helps either.

The thing is, when he was hosting Space a few years ago, you know this is the sort of thing he would have been constantly taking the piss out of. And yet he plays this so straight.

Two words:

Sell. Out.

8. -Winter-

-Winter- Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 12, 2002
    I liked Jessie too, but she was pretty unimpressive on the show last weekend. :\

9. SimplyThrilledHoney

May 19, 2002
    I think Jessie peaked with her audition, when she did Bic Runga's "Drive". She's never sounded as good since.

Still, she's the token white-girl, so she may hang in for a while.

10. Kitt327

Dec 23, 2000
    Fiona McDonald judged our drama festival contest at our high school back in 99. We were told beforehand that a celebrity would be coming, but I don't think anyone had heard of her. Wrong generation, maybe.

11. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Did anyone make her cry?

12. Kitt327

Dec 23, 2000
    I'm sure my acting moved her to tears.

13. SimplyThrilledHoney

May 19, 2002
    nice story about the competition today ... some chump voted 500 times, not realising that the votes cost $0.99, and not $0.20.

Ummm .... yeah, well, errr ... I'd budgeted spending one hundred dollars on votes for a meaningless TV reality show, but ... errr ... five hundred is just too much.

Moron.

14. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Ahhh haa ha!

15. SithForceLord

SithForceLord Jedi Master star 6

Jul 2, 2001
    what an absolute munter.

16. YouAgain

YouAgain Jedi Master star 5

Dec 20, 2001
    I heard that he thought that his telecom $10 text plan covered it....

17. SithForceLord

SithForceLord Jedi Master star 6

Jul 2, 2001
  18. -Winter-

Mar 12, 2002
    Hahaha. [face_laugh]

I hope it was worth it though. :p

19. SimplyThrilledHoney

May 19, 2002
    this coming Sunday's theme is New Zealand music. I'll be interested to see what songs the contestants choose.

Fingers crossed for Space Waltz's "Out On The Streets".

20. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    LOL. Or that Mother Goose track...

21. Kitt327

Dec 23, 2000
    Some nice performances tonight, I thought. Whenever they do these 'NZ song celebrations' on the radio, or tv, I always hear songs and think 'that's a kiwi song? I thought it was a cover!'.

Margaret Urlich ... anyone know what she's up to these days?

22. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    I thought last nights performances were dreadful. "Making a song your own" doesn't mean strangling the life out of it and adding in trills and vocal hijinx. [face_plain]

I really think Eddie Rayner and Suzanne Lynch are to blame, in a big way. The arrangements are utterly awful. He "ENZSO's" every track (ie. slows it down, makes it a power ballad).

Thank God for Luke's inspired choice of "Sittin' inside my head". By far and away the only performance of the night that sounds like it came from a nationwide talent quest final. (Well, bits of other performances were OK, and Misty Frequencies wasn't too bad).

Fiona at least had the guts to tell the singers straight where their flaws lay.

As for Margaret Urlich, well a year or two back she toured with a reformed When The Cats Away. Dunno what else she's been doing though - based in Aussie I think.

23. SimplyThrilledHoney

May 19, 2002
    I have come to the conclusion that, as a whole, the NZ Idol contestants suck. Last nights' show was really embarassing. Apart from Luke's brilliant version of "Sittin' Inside My Head" every single performance was weak and most were seriously out of tune.

I think that the Australian contestants had a lot more variety and could sing a hell of a lot better. Certainly, there's no one even remotely up to the calibre to Paulini, Guy Sebastian or Cossima. It's all so incredibly wooden.

The contestant that irritates me the most is Michael Murphy. He sings every song in an American accent, a la Incubus ort another one of those whiney "I-don't-want-to-tidy-my-bedroom" rock bands. He even sung a Neil Finn song in an American accent.

As for Annie Crummer, had she been smoking a crack pipe or something?

24. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    I think that Michael guy sings like he's the lead in the school play.

Not good.

25. -Winter-

Mar 12, 2002
    every single performance was weak and most were seriously out of tune.

I second that. [face_plain] They made me wonder, as I watched the show--my gawd, if they can't even sing in tune, what the heck are they doing in a singing competition?!

My brother hates that Michael guy too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.