main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

~Newbie Adoptions - incl. Training Prog.- UPD.: 12/25- Adopt: Mara, Bklyn, Plysion and more

Discussion in 'Welcome New Users' started by Skiara , Dec 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    Hello everyone! :)

This thread is for new members (newbies) to help them to get familiar with the JC and to get more involved in our community.

Newbies - if you feel a bit lost, are overwhelmed by this big forum, want to get used to the forum and its nature quickly, want to avoid common rookie mistakes or just want to make friends, then this is the best place for it. Here you can find a nice adopter/master, who will answer all your questions and help you as much as possible.

If you want to get adopted, just post it in this thread or send a PM to me, Skiara. Then I will put you on the list of free newbies at the next update.

After this you have three options to choose from:
    1. Waiting until an oldbie contacts you (this usually takes the longest time),
    2. Asking me, Skiara, if I can pair you up with one of the free oldbies (in this case it would be good if you could let me know about your interests, so I can find a good adopter),
    3. Sending one of the free oldbies a PM on your own (this is the fastest way).

Oldbies - are you interested in being part of the adoption program and helping a new member? Then there are three things to know about it:
    First, you can only become an adopter/master, if you have been registered for at least four months and have at least 400 posts. This should help to keep a certain quality standard. Second, if you adopt an adoptee/padawan, the adoptee/padawan trusts in you and that?s why it would be good if you take care and help your adoptee/padawan as much as possible. Please answer all the questions concerning the boards, and overall stay in contact all the time of your adoption.

And of course the third and last thing is the method of announcing your wish of adopting someone. If you want to adopt someone, just post in this thread or send a PM to me, Skiara, and let me know about up to three of your favourite boards. Then I put you on the list of free oldbies.

After this you have two possibilities:
    1. Waiting until a newbie asks you to adopt them (this could take a long time),
    2. Going through the list of free newbies on your own (this is the fastest way).

[b][u]Jedi Training Program:[/u][/b]

To give this adoption program a little bit more SW feeling, I created a Jedi & Sith Training Program for all newbies and oldbies who want to go through a Master-Padawan relationship.
    If you join the Training Program, there are five task-lists (separated in weeks, concerning the boards), which you have to solve. The tasks will be mainly about board-specific history, technical stuff and behaviour (inkluding where to post what). Your Master is the one who direct the tasks to you and says if you did them right. He/She is asked to give an update after every finished week.
    After your Master has posted or pmed me that you have finished the fifth week, you get sent the final tasks by me (Skiara). You have to send your answers/solutions of the final tasks back to me. After solving the final tasks successfully, your Master is free to give you the rank of a Knight.

Don?t forget, in the end you?re always working in a team to solve those tasks. ;)

[b]Masters[/b], if you and your Padawan want to participate, all you have to do is sending me a PM and I give you the tasks. Please, make sure to post after finishing all tasks of the weekly tasks at the adoption thread. Then I can change your status about in which week you are right now.

[b]Adopters[/b], if you don?t want to join the Training Program, but still wanting to use parts of the task-lists, then just send me a PM and you?ll get it, too.

[b]Important[/b]: Please, don?t give out the task list to anyone else. It belongs to the program and it wouldn?t be nice to see it spreading around so the new people know all tasks before they join this Jedi & Sith Training Program. Thank you!

[hr]

The adoption-ship ends whenever you both (adopter and adoptee) agrees that your adoptee is ready to discover the boards on her/his own

2. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
  3. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
  4. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Current Oldbie/Newbie Pairs

[color=5F110F]Master and Padawans, who are going through the training program:[/color]

5. MacCaffrey

MacCaffrey VIP star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 2000
    Very good! :)
    Congrats! :)

6. Darth Gangrenous

Darth Gangrenous Chosen One star 10

Jun 1, 2005
    A very good job Skiara. :)

7. DarthUncle

DarthUncle Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 20, 2005
    Very good! Great work Skiara :)

8. NARRABIE

NARRABIE Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 7, 2005
    Hi i am new here and know alot about star wars. I really want to be adopted so pleasd PM me and i will accept any offers cause so far i have no friends

9. REVANLORD

REVANLORD Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 2, 2005
    Need a hug? [:D]

10. Odd_Ball13

Odd_Ball13 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 11, 2005
    Don't worry you'll get friends soon.[face_coffee]

11. Eirate_rules

Eirate_rules Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2005
    I have a question.

Can I adopt someone?

12. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001
    Fantastic work, Sabine. I know how hard you worked on this, and it's really turned out brilliantly.

Nice idea with seperating the posts, as well. Great work! :D

13. MariahJSkywalker

MariahJSkywalker Poopoo Head star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2005
    Very nice, Skiara!

14. Darth Mischievous

Darth Mischievous Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 12, 1999
    I would be interested in adopting anyone interested in contributing to The Senate Floor Forum.

:)

15. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Thanks everyone for your kind words! [:D]
    Yep, it was really much work, but somehow it was nice work. ;) :)

And if you have any suggestions how I can improve Adoptions, please, let me know. :)

Thanks again. :)

Narrabie, you should listen to Odd_Ball and Revanlord. You'll get friends very soon and we would be happy if you stay at WNU for a while (for example in the hugging thread or Newbie Welcome Party).
    And I have put you on the list of free newbies. If you want to get adopted fast, you should let me know (and maybe about your interests) or send one of the free oldbies above a Private Message (PM). :)

Eirate, as long as you're an adoptee yourself you can't adopt anyone. But after your adoption and after your adopter releases you, I'll be happy to add you to the list. :)

Darth Mischievous, I have put you on the list of free oldbies. I hope you get an adoptee soon. :)

16. OBI-BEN-KENOBI

OBI-BEN-KENOBI Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 13, 2004
    No one wants me to adopt them... :(

I blame Tracy.

17. Odd_Ball13

Odd_Ball13 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 11, 2005
    I like this thread better the last.

Very nice Skiara!

=D= =D= =D= =D= =D= =D= =D= =D= =D= =D= =D= =D= =D= =D= =D= =D=

18. gaiatha

gaiatha Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    :eek:

Congrats Sabine! You made it!! :D
    Looks like you need something else to spent time on ;) :p

Let the adopting begin or better continue ;)

19. Jedi_Allegra

Jedi_Allegra Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 10, 2003
    Yeah go Sabine!!! Nice, nice. Very good for your first time! [:D]

Ben, I think I might have someone you might want to look into adopting. ;)

20. Darth Mischievous

Darth Mischievous Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 12, 1999
    Thanks, Skiara.

:)

I'm available to help anyone interested in posting in that particular forum.

It can be somewhat of a challenge to adjust to it, because it is a completely different milieu then other forums on these boards. More mature discussion takes place, and members are required to post in a more in-depth fashion.

Sometimes, people can be surprised by the general atmosphere and rules of the place, and I've seen even other mods from other forums be surprised at the differences in posting and rules...

21. iLoveAnakin7

iLoveAnakin7 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 17, 2005
    I would like to adopt someone!!

Is there anyone that needs to be adopted on the Fan Fiction or the Star Wars community boards?

22. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    OBI-BEN-KENOBI, maybe you can adopt Tracy? :p
    Nah, seriously, have you send one of the free newbies a PM? And if yes, have they answered?

Thanks, Odd_Ball, Gaiatha and Allegra. :D

Not really, I'm planning the further improvements, so I have something to do. But after that... you might be right, Gaiatha. ;) :)

Darth Mischievous, you sound really knowledgeable about that board. I'm glad to have you onboard. I hope you find an adoptee soon. :)
    The best (fastest) way would be to pm one of the free newbies, but I guess you know that already, right? ;)

iLoveAnaking7, I have put you on the list of free oldbies. Good luck in getting an adoptee soon. :)

23. Jedi_Jimbo

Jedi_Jimbo Jedi Master star 6

Oct 1, 2004
    I know what you mean.

But I do not blame Tracy, I have no idea who that is!

24. gaiatha

gaiatha Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    Maybe the "free" Newbies could write something about them?
    Would make it easier for the oldbies to adopt someone... Just a thought :)

25. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    We have thought about that earlier, Gaiatha. We didn't do that because we don't want to make them feeling uncomfortable. But I'll think about it again.

Do you mean to write down something in a post or something which I can add to the newbies in the list? :)

Jimbo, Tracy is a Mod. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.