Newbie Adoptions v3.0

Discussion in 'Welcome New Users' started by MASTER_OBI-DAN, Jan 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Skiara
  1. MASTER_OBI-DAN Jedi Master

star 4
    Newbie Adoptions List:
    />
    Hello, newbies! :D Are you feeling a bit lost? Are you intimidated by the sheer size of the Jedi Council? Do you want to blend in quickly, make friends fast and avoid common rookie mistakes? Then you?ve certainly come to the right place! Here, in the Newbie Adoptions Thread, we have a collection of extremely talented and caring oldbies who are dedicated to helping you learn the ways of our beloved Jedi Council. [face_love] And once you?ve been adopted, you?ll be able to ask any question about the Jedi Council, no matter how small or silly you may think it is, to your adopter. So, come get adopted today! ;)

• Newbie Adoption Co-ordinator: If any adoption information changes or if problems arise, please notify me (Stridarious ) via PM as soon as possible. :) .

• Adopters/Oldbies: To adopt a Newbie, you must be a registered JCer for at least the last three months and you must have at least 400 posts to your name. Oldbies may only adopt one Newbie at a time; requests by Oldbies to adopt another Newbie will only be heard via Private Message and granted with just cause. After you have adopted a Newbie, it is recommended (but not mandatory) that you both make notation of your relationship in their signatures (E.g.: ?Adopter of User B,? and ?Adoptee of User A?). Lastly, adopters are encouraged let their adoptee progress at their own pace and to wait until their adoptee feels that they are ready to come move on and emerge from ?under your protective wing.? ;)

• Adoptees/Newbies: Newbies are encouraged to click on the names of free Oldbies and to look through their user profiles. Newbies are not restricted to selecting a free Oldbie from their continent or who shares their interests, but are encouraged to select any free Oldbie of their choice. If a Newbie finds a free Oldbie who they wish to be adopted by, they are welcome to send that Oldbie a ?Private Message.? Alternatively, if Newbies prefer, they can either wait for either an Oldbie to contact them or they can contact me via a ?Private Message? and I will pair them up with one of our extremely talented and caring Oldbies, who shares similar interests. ;)

Free Oldies Waiting To Adopt: (JC Forums Of Expertise).
    />
      Asia/Oceania: [l
    />/>/>/>
  2. MASTER_OBI-DAN Jedi Master

star 4
    Just for Newbies: A Guide to Essential Threads.
    />
    • The JC Glossary v5.0: Have you ever comes across a term or abbreviation in the JC that you are unfamiliar with? :confused: If so, you may want to check out this thread, as chances are that you?ll find out what it means. :)

• A Newbie?s Map of the Boards: A great thread that will give you a quick overview of all the JC?s main forums. ;)

• The Guide to Administrators and Forums: Here is a complete and up-to-date list of all the Administrators, Managers, and Moderators and the forums that they're assigned to. :D

• The JCC Guide to Better Posting: An excellent thread that will not only help to improve the quality of your posts but will also to help you to avoid making common rookie mistakes. ;)

• The Complete Colour Listing: Here is the thread that lists all the colours that are available for use in the JC. :D

• Practice Markup Codes: Have you ever wanted to try out a certain markup code before using it in a formal post? :confused: Well, here is the appropriate thread to practice it in and to experiment with others. :)

/>/>
  3. MASTER_OBI-DAN Jedi Master

star 4
    Just for Oldbies: A Guide on How to Attract Newbies.
    />
    • Sell Yourself: Advertise yourself in your bio. For example, you may want to begin by listing your favourite SW film, SW book and SW character. Here's a true story: when I was newbie searching for an adopter, I ended up choosing one strictly because it was evident from both her username and bio that she was a huge Obi-Wan Kenobi fan like me. Now, if I had found an adopter that was an über-Björk fan too, I may have made a different choice. Thus, if you have any passions/interests outside of the SW Universe, you may want to list these too, as you may just happen to cross paths with a newbie who is also a kindred spirit. ;)

• Get Your Hustle On: For those of you very keen on adopting newbies, be sure to post in the various ?introduction? and ?help? threads that are often posted in the Welcome New Users forum. In these threads, always be sure to be warm, welcoming, helpful, courteous and respectful to newbies. And only if the moment is fortuitous, gently re-direct them to the Newbie Adoptions Thread or mention the many merits of being adopted by an seasoned oldbie like yourself. But always be mindful not to be either overbearing or pressuring. ;)

• Adoptee Recommendations: If you?ve spent some serious time both helping and developing a good rapport with an adoptee of yours, who is now ready to graduate to midbie-status, you may want to ask them if they wouldn?t mind posting a personal recommendation of you and your abilities as an adopter in the Newbie Adoptions Thread. Most former adoptees will gladly do this, as a sign of their appreciation for all your efforts with them. And if you're particularly keen and if you have their permission to do so, once their recommendation is posted, you may want to add it to your bio for all those searching newbies that may stumble across it in the future. ;)

/>/>
  4. Morgaine Ex-Manager

star 6
    Looks great as always, Dan. :D

Thank you so much for all your great work. :)
  5. Skiara ~• Manager WNU •~ ~• RSA FFC •~

Manager
    star 10
    Great work, Dan! :D

And thank you for your time and your great work! :)
  6. Admiral_Thrawn60 Jedi Youngling

star 6
    I'm available to adopt someone. :) I post all over the place. JCC mostly, but also FF Canada, FF Atlantic Canada, The Senate, and Games, in order of decreasing activity. Need any additional information?
  7. Mara_Jade_Fan Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I am willing to adopt someone as well. I usually stick to the Fanforce Pacific Region and the Collecting forum though, and will occassionally be seen in comms and the YJCC.
  8. DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    w00t!! New thread :D!

Great job, Dan :D!!
  9. Obi Anne FF admin Celebrations, Europe

Administrator
    star 7
    I'm also willing to adopt somebody.

Areas: FF Europe, FF community, SW misc, Costuming and Props, Senate, Amphitheatre, Welcome New Users
  10. JaegerGhent Force Ghost

star 5
    Looks really good, Dan! :)
  11. TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus

star 6
    good job dan, this looks excellent :D
  12. JediPrincessKas Force Ghost

star 5
    Wonderful job, DAN. :D

And I'm looking for a new Newbie to adopt. :D I post mainly in the JCC, but definitely know my way around the Amphitheatre and Fan Force - Southeast U.S. :)

JPK
  13. Jedi_Learner Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Beautifully put together Dan. Thanks for the time you've put into this. :)
  14. lumberjedi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Dan, this is seriously awesome. Wowy-wow-wow-wow!

All you need is love!
  15. dArTh_wenley Jedi Grand Master

star 5

Thankyou for all the hard work you are putting in to this Dan. :)
  16. droideka27 Manager Emeritus

star 7
    Yeah! Dan you are doing an AMAZING job. :) Very impressive.

At any rate, newbies please PM me! I'd love to help you out. And especially anyone in the Orange County Area, who may possibly be interested in getting involved in our Fan Force Group. :)
  17. BriaTharen Jedi Master

star 4
    great job Dan!

im also willing to adopt. areas- fan fiction stories, costuming and props, the amphitheater, JC community, and JC election game.

~bria
  18. Obi-Bunnie Force Ghost

star 4
    Great job with the new thread. :)
  19. KrystalBlaze Force Ghost

star 5
    Great job, Dan! Really, great work! *bows*

I'd adopt a newbie... but I allready have one! ;)
  20. Wildwookiee Force Ghost

star 4
    I also am willing to adopt a newbie...I'll indoctrinat....I mean educate the future minds of this fine institution.
  21. Cam_Mulonus Jedi Master

star 4
    Dude there's like a major shortage of newbies!

If they were to come in here, they'd be mobbed like NSync at the mall. :D
  22. Mara_Jade_Fan Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Perhaps the newbies don't know there is such a thing as Newbie adoptions? I have seen quite a few Jan 03 members on the boards, so I know there are plenty of newbies.
  23. Cam_Mulonus Jedi Master

star 4
    Then I have an idea. Maybe we should post in the welcome newbie posts, and INVITE them to try out the adoptions if they would like. That might work...
  24. Morgaine Ex-Manager

star 6
    It's already being planned, as Obi-Dan stated here. ;)
    Advertising in forum introduction/index threads: This last reform involves inserting links to and advertisements of the Newbie Adoption Thread in either the introduction or index threads of as many JC forums as possible. In fact, I already have a few threads like The JCC Guide to Better Posting scouted out. But this reform is going to take some time to implement, as I will have to contact the Moderators specific forum and ask for their express permission; but I am confident that it will pay off. :D
    />

If you can come up with any other ideas, please tell us! :)

//edit: I just realized that I probably misunderstood your question, Cam. :D You mean the introduction threads right here in WNU, right? ?[face_plain] Some people already do 'advertise' the Newbie Adoptions in there, and I don't mind at all if you continue to do so. ;)/>/>
  25. Jedi_Learner Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    You could always put it in your signature. I'm feeling generous so I'll put it in my profile. 8-}

Edit: I'll put the link in both my signature and profile. :)
Moderators: Skiara
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.