main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Abq Newbie here, have some questions.

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by WomackD, Aug 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WomackD

WomackD Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 20, 2003
    Hello. I live in Albuquerque and would like to have some information about Mos Alba and what meetings are like.

I would also like to know if any of you have the Interactive R2-D2 Droid and what you thought about it.

Finally, i was wondering if there were any local stores/costume shops that sell or rent Star Wars Costumes and Helmets. Is there such a place or do i have to overpay for StormTrooper garb online?

2. BrotherHalo

BrotherHalo RSA Emeritus and Heckler star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 12, 2003
    Welcome, WomackD!

I'm not completely qualified to answer the questions posed by you, (I've only been a member since May, and have sadly made only one meeting). But I'll do my best:

1. Mos Alba is Albuquerque's chapter of Fan Force. It's been around for over a year. I know other members can give you more info than I. We meet once a month for a meeting at the Barnes and Noble on the west side. Check out the thread for meetings here:
    Monthly meeting
    But the group also gets together to work on costumes, other social occasions, and for no occasion at all...
    2. I'm not sure about any costume shops around town that have Star Wars costumes. A couple of our members have or are obtaining some high quality ST armor. Gecko_Fett should have his pretty soon and Lady AnakinSkywalker has hers, but still needs to assemble it. Gecko told us his suit cost him $550 shipped and he ordered it from someone in the 501st out of SoCal. You still need to get a body suit and make yourself a blaster, but the armor itself is pretty high quality, from what I know.

I know others can answer these questions better than myself. But some handy threads to read (IMO) are:
    Meetings
    Stormtrooper Outfit
    Member Info
    General Discussion
    Mos Alba Website

3. LadyNaberrie

LadyNaberrie Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 7, 2002
    Welcome WomackD!!! Hope you have fun in our little shin-dig we love to call Mos Alba!
    Also check out the Welcome New Users Thread for our website and other information.

4. Wook

Wook Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    Welcome WomackD!

I (if this is what you're talking about) got the R2 as a Christmas gift...had fun terrorizing the dog and trying to figure out a way for him to serve drinks at my New Year's party 8-}

I probably wouldn't have spent $$ on it for myself though..the novelty wears off soon enough, but it's cool to have.

Costuming shops are kind of limited here - but we are having a costuming workshop at my house next month (Sept 14th) if you would like to come...

5. Gecko_Fett

Gecko_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 1, 2003
    Welcome WomackD!

Gecko Fett (Jess) here!

I have looked into this Stormtrooper armor thing long and hard....and unfortunatly there is only one way to go.....dump the money in a ABS suit of armor! My next costume project will be a Clonetrooper or a Biker Scout Trooper...

I have also been making blasters too recently! If you have any questions...feel free to email me!!

As for the R2 unit...I almost bought one at Wal-mart....after Christmas on clearence for $50.00...but I did not :(

6. WomackD

Aug 20, 2003
    Thanks for the responses. I have a few more questions:

1. For those of you that have made or ordered StormTrooper gear, did you also make the helmet? Does the helmet come with the armor you purchase?

2.I have always wanted a StormTrooper helmet, where would be the best place to get one, with a resonable price?

3.At the costume workshops, are people making ST armor or things like Jedi Robes and other ideas that require sewing?

4. Books: Is there a book that members decided to read then discuss the next meeting, like a book club? I was just curious how that works...

5. If anyone wants an interactive R2-D2, i would consider selling mine for half of what i paid for it (or trade for a stormtrooper helmet :)

Finally.. Whoever came up with the idea, name and logo (Mos Alba), cudos! It is the best and most original logo i have seen among the Fan Force entries.

7. LadyAnakinSkywalker

LadyAnakinSkywalker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 6, 2001
    I've had my armor for about a year and a half now...maybe two years. I haven't done anything with it. [face_laugh] However, it does come with a helmet that you must assemble with fancy lenses and all of that good stuff. :D

8. varza

varza Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 7, 2002
    OKay finally able to make it here...

Welcome WomackD!

I will try to answer some more of your quesitons...

2.I have always wanted a StormTrooper helmet, where would be the best place to get one, with a resonable price?

You would probably have to order it thru the same person Gecko got his...

3.At the costume workshops, are people making ST armor or things like Jedi Robes and other ideas that require sewing?

yes and no... some people are making their costumes-I will be working on my lady sith costume. One person is working on a lightsaber. Some others costumes and some are making weapons. as well... it is what ever you want to work on. We work together because sometimes we can help each other...

4. Books: Is there a book that members decided to read then discuss the next meeting, like a book club? I was just curious how that works...
    A book club/subgroup has been brought up before and it may happen at the moment though everyone is reading their own thing but you can discuss the books here: Book Chat

5. If anyone wants an interactive R2-D2, i would consider selling mine for half of what i paid for it (or trade for a stormtrooper helmet how much is half?

Finally.. Whoever came up with the idea, name and logo (Mos Alba), cudos! It is the best and most original logo i have seen among the Fan Force entries. Don't know who came up with Mos alba but the logo design has been a work in progress, started with Chrom and then Lor took it over... and thanks!

I am glad you are here WomackD

9. LadyAnakinSkywalker

LadyAnakinSkywalker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 6, 2001
    There used to be a thread around here where the name was decided, but it looks like it was deleted. :( The actual fan force concept was birthed by myself and LadyNaberrie one day in class back in high school. ;) I was only 17 at the time, so I unfortunately could not represent the group. But, from what I hear, varza is doing an amazing job and I can't wait to stop by and see how things have progressed myself. ;)

10. WomackD

Aug 20, 2003
    I bought my Interactive R2-D2 at ToysRus on xmas eve for $99.

11. VoidDancer

VoidDancer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 13, 2002
    Hey WomackD,

Glad you can join us here, welcome to the team. I'm Void, the regional (and busy...sorry) admin. If there is anything you need then please let me, or Varza, know and we'll be glad to help you. Looks like you're jumping right in, glad to have you aboard.

12. BrotherHalo

BrotherHalo RSA Emeritus and Heckler star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 12, 2003
    Hey WomackD,

Why are you looking to sell your R2. I know I'm interested in it, but I was curious...

13. skyra

skyra Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 9, 2001
    Welcome WomackD!

Glad you were able to find us and hope you
    can come to the next meeting.

14. WomackD

Aug 20, 2003
    BrotherHalo:

I guess i was just expecting alot more when i purchased the Interactive R2-D2. However, i am very picky most of the time anyway.. If you are interested, it is for sale.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.