main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Newbie here, What do you guys/gals do?

Discussion in 'Archive: Albany, NY' started by Dark_Father, Jul 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark_Father

Dark_Father Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 23, 2000
    Hey there everyone. I am definitely not a newbie to the Star Wars world but am a newbie at these fan force forums.

Ever since I saw Star Wars on the big screen in '77, it's been a nice part of my life. Can't wait for this next movie to come out.

My wife appreciates Star Wars but can't talk in depth about it. My kids are to young to do anything except imitate R2, running around the house and beeping (although that is awfully cute). My friends just aren't into Star Wars like I am. Not that I want to talk about it 24/7, I have many interests other than Star Wars.

Just a little background. I'm 33, computer programmer for a financial marketing company. Married w/ two daughters. Live near Saratoga. Hobbies/passions include: most sci-fi, multimedia development, hockey! hockey! hockey!, music (both performing and composing), comics, and hopefully soon, flying.

Question is: I've read some of the threads in here about meetings, events, etc.... but what actually do you do at, say a monthly meeting? I seriously have no idea.

You guys all seem pretty cool, so let me know what the Scoundrels do.

Steve

2. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    Awesome, Steve, well the meetings are kinda get to gethers really. Some can be movies or some can be just dinner and or both.

We talk and have fun. Get to know each other as well.

And I am 27. And I am a mechanic for a lincoln Dealership here in ALbany. Pm for any information you need.

3. Dark_Father

Dec 23, 2000
    Thanks a lot, I appreciate the info. Not a lot of time to go out these days (with a 2 and a 4 year old) but I'd like to get together. Already reserved a 'day for myself' for the opening and informed my wife that my plan was to see the movie, walk out of the theater and go right back in! :) Anyone here planning on going to the midnight showings?

4. beezel26

May 11, 2003
    I think three quarters of the JC is planning on going on the midnight showings.

And I am free after the fifteenth. Unless you want to do something early. But the week of the fourteenth and fifteenth I am busy as is Narundi.

5. NarundiJedi

NarundiJedi Jedi Master star 6

Oct 8, 2001
    I'm planning on going to the midnight showing, for my bachelorette party. ;)

Hi and welcome! :) I'm one of the youngins in this fanforce but somehow they felt I should have a leadership role. :p Anyhoo, I'm 22 (soon to be 23) and I work in Watervliet as a mechanical engineer. I live in Schenectady with my fiance and my two cats. When I'm not working I enjoy baseball (and love the Red Sox, much to Beezel's chagrin), movies, writing (mostly fanfic), and I have been known to be a hockey fan. I'm also into techno and dance music, and have the equipment necessary for recording my own if I ever get off this computer to do so. :p I also have a classical piano background and have been composing my own songs since I was eleven.

I'd love to do something with you guys. I don't have anything in the works yet for next weekend, but the 14th I'm at a wedding in NYC. So basically you can meet us whenever it's best for you. There's a new Indian place opening up in Saratoga across from Chanti's that I've wanted to try, so if you're the type who will try new things (or if you already like Indian) then we could do that. I like food and like meetings involving food. Beezel will tell you how well I can put it away. [face_mischief]

Jae O:)

ED: I writes good english . . .

6. beezel26

May 11, 2003
    Yes she is smaller than I am and can out eat me.

And I am a Yankees fan.

Hey I like going to Saratoga this time of year. Its an exciting place to go. Especially at night with the night life. maybe you could bring your wife and she could bring her fiancee and we could all meet and then see the night life of Saratoga afterwards. you know the live bands outdoors and other places.

7. SaberGiiett7

SaberGiiett7 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 2, 2002
    Saratoga is a circus this time of year. :rolleyes:Pleasure to meet you, though, Dark_Father/Steve. :)I'm the tag-along member of the FanForce. I've only actually been to one meeting before. ;)Do you go to games in Glens Falls?

<[-]> Saber

8. Dark_Father

Dec 23, 2000
    Sorry, it been a while since my last post. Been really busy with family and work and, as of late, my home computer's been on the blink. Solved though as of today when I've completed building my own my new computer (no more Dell for me!).

SaberGiiett, Glens Falls once in a while. We are season ticket holders for the Albany River Rats. Started going there when we lived in Colonie and even though it's more of a drive, you gotta stick with your team, right? Miss the Red Wings though, those games were always fun.

With the arrival and construction of my new computer, the old one is going to become a webserver. I'd be glad to dedicate some of that to a website for the FanForce of the Albany area if you all think that may be helpful. Content and layout ideas would be appreciated.

Anyway, exciting times ahead. Trailer next week and more and more spoilers out from time to time. Anyone here spoiler free or should I feel free to discuss those in this forum also?

Take care everyone!

MTFBWY

Steve

9. Maulfly

Maulfly Moderator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    Hey Steve. :D

How long did it take you to put together your own computer and was it very hard to do? I've got a nearly two year old computer that (I think) had its harddrive die on it, so I was going to try my hand at tinkering with its insides.

Just a couple more days before one of your own escapes down to Texas. ;) :p

10. beezel26

May 11, 2003
    he may escape to Texas but he will always be a scoundrel.

And he will always root for a NY team no matter how many hillbillies surround him.

11. NarundiJedi

NarundiJedi Jedi Master star 6

Oct 8, 2001
    I'm spoiler free, so I'd appreciate it if I didn't hear anything else except comments relating specifically to the teaser trailers and posters once they're already released. I'm not stupid enough to think I can avoid them. ;)

And why would anybody want to root for a NY team when they have New England right next door? :p [face_mischief]

Jae O:)

12. beezel26

May 11, 2003
    because the yankees are just that. A NY team.

And how about we get together for the Incredibles on November 5th. It has the trailer in it.

13. Dark_Father

Dec 23, 2000
    Maulfly,

Not hard at all, I think the trick was ordering everything that fits together. Here's what I did. Ordered a new tower case, motherboard, procesor and memory (two 512K sticks) from NewEgg.com. Total cost: just under $400.00. Took my DVD-drive, my DVD-RW drive, and my 120Gb hard drive from my old computer.

First thing is installing the processor and heat-sink on the motherboard. Not too tough, processor drops right in to the socket and heat-sink snaps on top by spring-latches. Most unnerving this about this is the pressure you have to put on the heatsink (you feel like you're going to damage the processor) in order for it to snap into place. All is fine, processor survived.

Then I mounted the motherboard in the case which is just hanging it on one mounting screw and fastening it tightly with other screws. After that, it's just plugging in the memory and all peripherals to the mother board. Directions were great and all-in-all pretty damn easy.

Best thing about it (especially vs. a Dell) is that when a new processor comes out, I can drop it right in to the montherboard (up to a certain point) or purchase a new montherboard and processor (about $150.00 for both) and I've pretty much got a brand new computer.

If you decide to do it let me know if you need any help.

Steve

14. The1Neo

The1Neo Jedi Master star 6

Jan 20, 2004
    I'm a baber. A youthful looking 29. I love the Yankees and the Bears. I'm really into music and poetry.

15. monetrpt

monetrpt Jedi Youngling

Jul 19, 2003
    I'm a music teacher (34). I love most kinds of music. I play in a band (guitar), collect WWI British Rifles and have 4 year old twins (Boy and girl). No they are not named Luke and Leia. As much as my wife likes Star Wars she wouldn't go for it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.