main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

=== Newbie Welcome Party - Ten Year Anniversary Edition ===

Discussion in 'Welcome New Users' started by Morgaine, Jun 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Morgaine

Morgaine Ex-Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 2001
    Hello and welcome everyone to the latest installment of the Newbie Welcome Party! :)

Ten years ago to the day, the http://boards.theforce.net/Welcome_New_Users/b10181/2972308][/url]first party began. The Welcome Forum was a very different place back then - there were no social threads, no games, no adoptions... we didn't even have our own moderator. New people would come in, post a thread to say hello, get maybe a handful of replies and then move on to other forums.

With the start of the Newbie Party, a community began to form, a group of people gathered who would hang around to welcome the newest members, to help them find their way around the forums and answer all the typical newbie questions, and to give new people the chance to get used to posting at the JC in a smaller, more friendly environment without having to fear being treated as a clueless n00b. And of course to socialize with each other, too! A lot of close friendships were founded here, with some people even traveling halfway around the world to meet each other in "real life" too.

And now here we are, ten years later, and the party is still going strong. So strong in fact that our forum moderator http://boards.theforce.net/UserPages/Profile.aspx?user=Skiara][/url]Skiara has decided that our old party thread was too big and we should (once again) start a new one. So here we go! :D

If you are a new member: Welcome aboard! [:D]

This place is bound to accumulate lots of pages quickly again, and I know huge threads can be rather intimidating, but please remember: this place is for you. This is a social thread filled with lots of small talk, and there is absolutely no need to read all of it before you start posting. Just go directly to the last page and jump right into the ongoing conversation!

You might feel like you're intruding on some private conversation between friends, but really, we're just here to keep the place alive, answer any questions you might have and hopefully make you feel welcome when you come in to say hello. So don't be shy! :)

But enough talk now, let's get this party started! Drinks are on the house, as always, and of course we still have a swimming pool, a bowling alley and all sorts of other entertainment for you to enjoy. Oh, and chocolate of course. Can't forget the chocolate. :p

Have fun, everyone! [face_dancing]

Edit: Thread got closed, because there's a new party (new version): House-Warming Party!

2. Padawan4687

Padawan4687 Jedi Master star 5

Jul 10, 2010
    Happy anniversary to the first Newbie Party! :D
    I hope the new one will be just as fun as the first.

3. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    Second post! :p

We have a bowling alley now? We might as well just add an arcade and pizza joint and call it good.

4. Darth Gangrenous

Darth Gangrenous Chosen One star 10

Jun 1, 2005
    Arcade? Pizza? Sounds good to me! :D

5. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    ALL HAIL BLUE YODA!!!

Er... I mean... congrats on a decade or somesuch. Dont know what else to say, other than that this release better have color corrections and special features we haven't gotten in previous "anniversary" editions. How many times am I supposed to buy the same Newbie Welcome Party over and over, while Lucas just rolls around in my money like Scrooge McDuck and I never get the version we fans deserve. It's all well and good that we're here getting yet another Newbie Welcome Party, but so help me, Lucas had better have color corrected Vader's lightsaber and put digital Yoda in TPM and added more in depth commentaries to this edition or I will refuse to buy any more than possibly the next 8-10 releases of this WNU series. Yay! Another new version of my favorite thread series of all time. Lucas is raping my childhood. I hate this entire series now, why did he have to keep making them...? Is this really gonna be the version the fans want or is money all that he cares about?!?!?!?!!!1!!!one!!!?!?!?

What the heck is this thread about, again...?

6. Morgaine

Mar 19, 2001
    [face_laugh]

Now I feel like I should've been handing out 3D glasses for this thread. :p

Hmm, Pizza for breakfast... hand me a slice, will you. ;)

7. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    Luckily, you haven't forgotten the pool. It's still our beloved chocolate pool, isn't it? *looks for the switch to turn it into chocolate*

Thanks for posting this Anniversary Party, Morgaine! [:D]
    Very nice done! :D

8. Morgaine

Mar 19, 2001
    How about a compromise - two pools, one with chocolate, one with water. ;) 'Cause I could really use one with water right now, it's way too hot and humid where I am. [face_sweaty] (we need more emoticons :p)

Thanks, glad you like it! :D

9. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Blech, humidity.

On a less humid note, I graduated from crutches to a cane. It's a step in the right direction and I'll soon be back on my feet, so long as I don't get off on the wrong foot. Injuries like these, though, only serve to strengthen the sole.

10. Darth Gangrenous

Jun 1, 2005
    A cane? I have one of those that I need to use from time to time.

Two pools sounds like a great idea. :D

11. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
    Ten years...that's a long time.

Come to think of it...come November it'll be my ten year anniversary too. :D

I've been a nerd for quite some time now. :p

12. CPL_Macja

CPL_Macja Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 29, 2008
    **Goes to throw a brownie at D_G but then thinks it might be bad karma to throw food at a man with a cane.**

[face_thinking] [face_thinking] [face_thinking] [face_thinking] [face_thinking]

**Throws the whole plate at him instead!**

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

:D :p

13. Lexi

Lexi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2002
    Wow, ten years! Well, I guess a "Happy birthday" is in order :D

14. CPL_Macja

CPL_Macja Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 29, 2008
    How appropriate, a ten year old group for a group who acts like a bunch of ten year olds.

15. Morgaine

Mar 19, 2001
    Isn't it. :p

*wonders if that means she posted like an infant ten years ago* 8-}

I actually missed my own 10-year anniversary by two days. :( But I've been a nerd considerably longer than that, anyway. :D

Congrats on the upgrade, TrakNar. ;) What did you do to require crutches in the first place, if you don't mind me asking?

16. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    I missed by three-year board anniversary two weeks ago, so I understand. :p

17. Darth Gangrenous

Jun 1, 2005
    There is an angry Mole looking for you. Shall I tell him where to find you? [face_devil]

18. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Jedi Master star 5

Sep 5, 2004
    Wow 10 years. Very impressive. :D

19. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Car drove over my foot. Nothing was broken, bruised pretty good, though and I was on crutches for about a month. I'm glad to be rid of them. Now I'm gonna start taking walks (well, gimps) in the morning to restrengthen my foot and ankle. Since my ankle won't bend quite as well as it used to, I'm going down hard on my hip and knee, and my lower back is starting to feel the pain.

20. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    ^Something that everyone needs. [face_plain]
    Glad that it is gets better each day and hopefully you can walk normal again this summer, so you can enjoy summer. :)

My 10 year anniversory needs a bit over a year. ;)

Right now I wonder how it is possible to reduce the download amount while going online. It's not that I'm downloading movies or anything, I guess it's just all the stupid spam I get. Does anyone know a solution how I can stop downloading that spam?

21. Darth Gangrenous

Jun 1, 2005
    What are you downloading that's adding spam to it?

22. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Oh, I meant email-spam. Tons of emails that are worth nothings, spam. [face_plain]

23. Darth Gangrenous

Jun 1, 2005
    Some e-mail services have settings that you can adjust to send more of the junk into your spam/junk folder. Does yours have such settings?

Oh, I forgot to mention that about two hours ago we had a small earthquake.

24. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    My has such a setting, but then some non-spam get considered as spam. So I need to turn that off. :( It would be cool, if there's a preview function before my email program downloads them completely.

Since you've forgot, it was just a small one, right? If one was here, it would be of high interest, since we rarely get some that is feel-able. ;)

25. Darth Gangrenous

Jun 1, 2005
    Several people felt it but I didn't. It was a 4.2 and I usually feel anything over a 4. In April 2008, we had a 5.2 that startled me out of my slumber then a few hours later we had a 4+ as I was online. In fact, I think that I was on here during the aftershock. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.