main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jack, FL Newbie

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by avoidinreality, Oct 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. avoidinreality

avoidinreality Jedi Youngling

Oct 23, 2005
    Hi! Can you stand another newbie? *grin*

I actually did not see SW until I was around 21, when a co-worker insisted I had not lived until I saw it...or something like that. When my now husband and I found out that we were having a boy in 1999, he went directly to his parents house and came home with BOXES of figures, ect, that he had saved for just that moment. Needless to say, I'm not a born fan, but rather a fan by osmosis. *grin* It grew on me...and now I'm the one that has ownership of all the figures because my son would rather play with trains.

I'd love to hang around here for a bit if I could...see if I can learn a few things. I started late, so I have a lot of catching up to do.

You can call me Firkey (or any variation such as Firk, Firkster, Firkinator...my personal favorite *eyeroll*). It's my last name. Once they hear my last name, no one ever remembers my first name so I stopped answering to it a long time ago.

2. ---Vossk---

---Vossk--- Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 14, 2005
    welcme to the club,Firkinator :rolleyes: !any thoughts of a costume?

3. Anakin-and-Padme

Anakin-and-Padme Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 2, 2005
    Welcome Firkster...

I remember watching Star Wars when I was a kid in the 70's and loving it. Then it fell into oblivion in my mind. Replaced by E.T., then Annie, then Grease 2.
    I would go to my best friends house when I was 8 and her brother had all of the Star Wars stuff EVERY where. We would terrorize him and his room. He was about 10 and he was convinced we were going to break something cool. We probably did, but I don't remember.

Needless to say it wasn't until I married my husband that Star Wars came back to the forefront. Pretty much been there since.

I'm Patrice and my husband is Chase. I do most of the posting because Chase works too much. He just relays me messages...

Glad to have you as there is always room for one more...Welcome!

4. avoidinreality

Oct 23, 2005
    Thanks for the welcome! Costume....hmmmm....you know, I've seen people in costume and thought it was the coolest thing in the world, but I've never thought about what I could do with it. I can't sew, and I'm short and *gasp* quite heavy. :( I'd have to meet with you guys for ideas and beg for help from a seamstress. Guide me! :)

5. avoidinreality

Oct 23, 2005
    Hi Patrice (and Chase)! :D I probably should have grown up with SW since I'm in my 30's, but my mother was anti-anything that wasn't geared torwards little girls and my dad did whatever it took to make sure my mother stayed quiet. If I ever see Strawberry Shortcake or Rainbow Bright again, I'll probably puke.

6. Anakin-and-Padme

Sep 2, 2005
    Hmmm, good thing you had a boy or you would be looking at those toys all over again!!!

I have my Strawberry Shortcake lined up for my munchkin when she hits 3...wanna borrow them until then???[face_laugh]
    I also had the Sea Wee's (little mermaid dolls with a floating lagoon) which hardly anyone even knows about. I took LOTS of baths (2 & 3 a day) when I was a kid just to play with them. (too much info...) I WAS the cleanest child ever though....

Yes, after 3 boys my mother TRIED to turn me super girlie. She failed miserably and has to live with the fact that I played with dolls like all girls, but I usually did it outside in the dirt or in a tree. My dolls were usually captured by the enemies (my older brothers) and I had to go and rescue them with my other brother who is just a few months older than me. :eek:

Sooooo, you guys coming bowling on the 29th???

7. avoidinreality

Oct 23, 2005
    Oh, I have a girl too! She has one Barbie doll, and she runs it over with her brother's trains all the time. She likes the Care Bears, and I'm just fine with that...I was Care Bear deprived when I was little.

Sea Wees!! OMG, I forgot about those. Didn't they come with a sponge lily pad or something to float on...and babies? I understand the "clean kid" thing, I grew up to run a homemade soap business. Trying to run anyway. Life loves to stir things up over here a LOT. :)

I'd love to go bowling!! I haven't been in years. Can we get those bumper things? [face_whistling] My husband drives limos on the weekend, so it would depend heavily on his schedule. He wouldn't come with, I just need him to babysit. Where do you guys normally meet? I'm in Orange Park, close to Middleburg, but I'm familiar with the Mandarin and Baymeadows area...anything else and I would need serious directions.

8. Anakin-and-Padme

Sep 2, 2005
    You are welcome to come. We are bringing our 2 little ones because we don't have people we can rely on anyone to babysit. They will just make it more interesting. So if you think you can keep your eye on them they could come (I know I don't like taking my 2 anywhere without Daddy unless they are strapped in - HA!). Hopefully you can make it.

I think we had talked about the lanes on San Jose.

9. riquigonjin

riquigonjin Jedi Youngling star 1

May 1, 2005
    :D Welcome to the group:D. I hope to meet you at our next get together. I'm Riqui (Ricky), and my sons name is Wylee. SO WELCOM=D=

10. Leia214

Leia214 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 24, 2004
    YAY - another Star Wars chick! Welcome to the boards and our group. My name is Julia and I am one of the founders of our local group. My husband Mark pops in occasionally but I am the main SW nut in our house.

I have been a SW fan since I was a kid in 1977 - my brother got me the 'Early Bird' set that first year and I still have it - I have been hooked ever since and buy WAY TOO MANY collectibles. Our whole living room is Star Wars themed but luckily my husband doesn't mind.

Hope to see you soon at one of our events coming up!

11. ObiWanAmanda

ObiWanAmanda Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 10, 2005
    Welcome, welcome....my name is Amanda (DUH :) ) anyway I am glad you found us...well i guess you could say I AM a born SW fan...I was born in '77. I was the only grandchild and niece on my mom's side...her brothers have always been huge SW fans (still are) so I grew up with it. I still have the very first SW figures from ANH :) I have friend who call me weird because of it..but hey I like it so what does it matter?

Glad you found us and I look forward to meeting you soon.

12. avoidinreality

Oct 23, 2005
    Wow, thanks for the warm welcome everyone!! :D

Patrice, I try not to bring the kidlets to functions alone because I have a tendancy to have to watch EVERYTHING they do and I can't seem to relax enough to enjoy myself. I'm working on that...it certainly isn't good for them to have Mommy hovering over them all the time, even if they are young, and it isn't good for me because I haven't yet cloned myself and they like to run off in different directions just to see how fast I can run. :) Especially if I'm just meeting you guys for the first time. I see the bowling outing is set at 1pm, and that may be perfect for me because most people want limos later in the evening. I might only be able to play one game, or just sit around and watch (which is perfectly fine by me actually)...and...I know where the lanes are on San Jose!! Yippee! [face_dancing]

Is the Halloween outing in the shopping center next to Starbucks on Blanding? I know I would definately be able to meet there, my husband takes the kids to my in-laws for Halloween and we aren't on speaking terms. It'll give me something to do, but I wouldn't be in costume. I suppose I could walk around and introduce myself to all the Storm Troopers and Jedis. :D

13. ---Vossk---

Jun 14, 2005
    wait,what?halloween event?how come i wasnt imformed of this ? *GASP*

14. DarkTrooper85

DarkTrooper85 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 4, 2005
    Welcome to the Group. we all look forward to meeting you in person.:)

15. ---Vossk---

Jun 14, 2005
    your messages are so customized to each newbie,darktrooper....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.