main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Newbies and Veterans....

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by JediMaster_Jen, Sep 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    This kind of relates to KrystalBlaze's idea to get new authors noticed more, but it's really different. I like the idea, but since I think a lot of authors probably would prefer not to have their work used by someone else, maybe we could try something different.

If the mods could do it, what about having a board just for new authors, for say, two months. For two months, a new authors story could be displayed apart from the established writers and their works, just so everyone could get a feel for the new stuff.

Now, understand, I'm a little biased, I'm a new author. So what does everyone think? Good idea, bad?

2. Herman Snerd

Herman Snerd Jedi Master star 6

Oct 31, 1999
    IMO, separating new authors off to a separate board would only give them less exposure to the 'older' members, not more.

Effectively, it would create a small group of newbies who would share one forum together. Then once they were no longer classified as new authors and placed back in the forums with everyone else, they'd be right back where they started.

3. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    The old authors have become recognized because they have worked for it. No one was there to help them. They worked hard and they wrote good stories. For this they were recognized and probably started a fan following of sorts. It can be hard work to become a popular writer on this site. While it may be difficult, one must welcome the challenge and defeat it on the journey of becoming a recognized writer here. The newbies will just have to work hard and try their best and then they will be recognized. They will have to work for it but that is life.

The idea is coming from a good place. I just don't agree with it. I understand your effort to help new users. However they have to work for something. They must set their goals and excel towards them. It is not the moderator's job to help them reach their goals. Besides the only people in this new forum would be new people. Not too many other users would visit it.

They just have to understand that it may take awhile but in the end it will be worth it.

-Seldon

4. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    In theory, that's considerate, but I agree with Herman that segregating them will not help them. My recommendation is that there be a New Author Index or something to keep people apprised of new additions. Or maybe noobs can be turned green?

5. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    A new author index would be a good idea, I think. :)

6. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    A new author index sounds good. If someone is willing to work on it.

Another thing is if there was a forum how would you define a new writer? It could be an old writer with a few stories looking for more of an audience. The mods would have to come up with a definition for new writer which is not too vague and not too specific.

In regards to the green idea. How would you be able to make new writers green in the FanFic forums and not other forums. They would basically be all over the JC with green colors. Really in some ways it would be like VIP status granted for being new.

-Seldon

7. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    One thing I'd like to see return is the story of the week/month feature, provided someone were to keep it updated. This was, in my experience, an excellent tool for exposure.

EDIT: Spell, I can.

Dana

8. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    i like the idea as i am a new writer and no one seems to be interested in what i write, i like OCs too much

9. Herman Snerd

Oct 31, 1999
    The odd thing about original characters is that most claim to like them, but OC fics get the fewest readers.

I suppose people mean they like their own original characters. ;)

10. Sara_Kenobi

Sep 21, 2000
    Dana's idea might be more simple to do. And that way everyone would have the chance to have their fiction exposed for everyone to see.

I think it might depend on how the stories would be chosen though, for it to please everyone.

A new author index would be grand too though. If the index were to happen, and to keep track of all new stories by new authors, it would need more than one person taking care of it, I think, or the poor keeper would be doing a lot of forum jumping.

You would also have to define what is a new author, and how you'd look for them. Clicking on everyone's profiles that posts a story would be torture. Especially for three active forums.

The most simple plan I would support is what Dana said, I think, but if a new author index is decided upon, I'll gladly watch out for the Saga. I think I'm pretty familiar with who is new inside that forum.

11. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    I have a question...

The idea sounds great and all, but isn't that what the Welcome board is for? :confused:

12. Indra

Indra Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2003
    Just some advice for newbies that I got when I started posting here. Before sending in your stories, spend a few weeks browsing the boards. Look at other stories and leave reviews, so that people get to know your name. Then, when you post, they will recognise it and take a look at your story. I followed this advice and it worked very well. :)

13. Jedikma

Jedikma Jedi Master star 4

Feb 5, 2004
    That is excellent advice Indra.

Building up a reader base takes time. Those that have been here longer and have a large reader base have worked hard for it.

Finding someone who will adopt you and help you through the boards is also a good thing to do.

14. kayladie97

kayladie97 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 6, 2003
    Reading others' stories and leaving FB for them is the best way to go about getting readers for your own story, IMO. I joined here in June 2003. I lurked and read a lot for about three months. When I did start posting, I probably left FB for at least 30 different stories before I finally started posting my story in December 2003.

I'm pretty sure a few of those readers were ones that I'd left FB for and they went "Hey, I know that name." I often do the same thing now. If someone new leaves me FB, I'll check their sig or their bio and see if they've written anything. If it looks interesting to me, I'll check it out.

As it's been mentioned, building a reader base isn't something that happens overnight, but the effort is well worth it. :)

15. Sara_Kenobi

Sep 21, 2000
    I was thinking, instead of creating an index, why doesn't someone create a thread similiar to that where new author can just go in the thread, and post about what they're currently writing?

And that thread would only be for new writers?

16. spiritgurl

spiritgurl Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 6, 2003
    Like this? (found in the FFR index thread along with other newbie related threads :) )

sg

edit: it needs to be "unlocked" though ;)

17. Herman Snerd

Oct 31, 1999
    That thread is now unlocked for anyone who would like to post in it. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.