main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Newcastle mini meet - Saturday 2nd September 2006

Discussion in 'Archive: North' started by nlindenj, Mar 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. edgejedi88

edgejedi88 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 13, 2005
    10th June sounds like a good day to meet - I have nothing else planned right now so...

How about meeting up outside of Waterstones, near the Monument at say 12.00? (prob the only way to be sure we find each other!)

Sounds like a good plan Nige. =D=

2. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    You guys enjoy your day, I'll be at Download Festival, I'm afraid :(

3. edgejedi88

May 13, 2005
    £135 was just way to expensive just to see Metallica - thats all I would go to see. Newcastle centre will be a barren waste land without the nu-metal kids on a saturday....

4. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    Developing a liking for bands some kids have never heard of works to my advantage ;)

5. nlindenj

nlindenj Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 5, 2006
    12.00 sounds fine but, at the monument? you will get engulfed by the panpipe/steel bands and the 'end of the world' groups (lol) and the comic fair starts at 12 not too far away
    i'll be there

6. spike_thmid

spike_thmid Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 13, 2005
    10 June !?!?!? Good gravy man...... :eek:

that's the date for Englands opening World Cup match against Paraguay

of course if football isn't your thing :eek: then you'll have no worries regarding parking & queues in Newcastle City centre !!

[image=http://www.nelliecashman.freeservers.com/images/tumbleweed.jpg]

7. ObiWanCon

ObiWanCon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 15, 2004
    I don't believe this the first meet in Newcastle my local city and you choose June 10th the first England game of the World Cup http://darthno.ytmnd.com/

8. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    Even I'm going to watch the England match while I'm at Download :p

Looks like a football-orientated meetup for you guys, eh? ;)

9. nlindenj

Mar 5, 2006
    ok then, i was only going by the dates of the comic fair, what time does the match start? get the meet up over with then watch the match

10. edgejedi88

May 13, 2005
    Football? Pah. [face_shame_on_you]

If you guys prefer footie, then maybe best to change the date...up to you...its SW all the way with me...I wont be in NC for an hour and then rush off to the telly - I like to shop!!![face_peace]

Decisions decisions.

11. spike_thmid

Apr 13, 2005
    football isn't just about the 90mins, the build up will start at the crack of dawn

I'll sit this one out I think, I'm sure there will be plenty more chances to get dragged around the shops by Jase :p

12. timbolton

timbolton Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 14, 2003
    WIth it being so soon, I will have to bow out of the first Newcastle meet afraid :(
    But I'll try and be there in (Force) spirit, all blue and glowy :p
    Just had a big change of circumstances, knew it was going to happen this year, but not like ... just now. So although I plan to come to as many meets as I can, I better be careful and budget properly fron now on. I think the second expected change may be in the wind.

13. nlindenj

Mar 5, 2006
    it looks like footy has won out again
    here are more dates of comic and card fairs in newcastle
    july 22nd (bit close to bristol event)
    sept 2nd
    hope these are better

14. spike_thmid

Apr 13, 2005
    whoa, whoa....

no need to change your plans !! like I said I'm sure they'll be plenty of more mini-meets & Newcastle is only 40mins up the road.

of course :D

15. edgejedi88

May 13, 2005
    This is the crest from my new shirt I recently purchased to celebrate the World Cup
    [image=http://www.goldjewelryontheweb.com/images/Gold/dz10849t.jpg]

16. jedi_master_booth

jedi_master_booth Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 24, 2005
    I personaly cant see the point in football ?

17. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Football is a glorious game.

pitting the skills and strengths of 11 men against another 11 men.

The tactics and abilities paramount

The trust you need to have in your own team to back you up.

The fact that on the pitch there is nowhere to hide, if you fail the team fails with you.

Fantastic for fitness (unless your a Goalie)
    Strikers run on average 5 miles in 90mins, midfield 8miles and defenders 4 miles.

It's a fantastic game to watch with friends, the feeling of seeing your team succeed, the hollowness as they lose. Battling back from a percieved defeat or losing at the last can stir emotions rarely registered by a lot of men.

While I accept that people don't like the game and respect them for their views, don't ever forget the impact that football has on some peoples live's

It honestly isn't just about kicking a bag of wind on a piece of grass, a park, an empty car park etc...

It's far more important than that.

18. Dickie

Dickie Jedi Master star 4

Jan 19, 2005
    Football is a girls game.

pitting the skills and strengths of 11 silly men against another 11 silly men.

The tactics and abilities are overrated by commentators, to give an air of importance to what is, in essence, a pointless game.

The trust you need to have in your own team to back you up has no meaning, who needs trust when they're being paid £250,000 a week to back you up?

The fact that on the pitch there is nowhere to hide, if you fail the team fails with you, but of course, you get paid whatever the outcome. Also, everyone can watch you as you roll about in 'agony' after being brushed by another player.

Fantastic for fitness (unless your a Goalie)?
    Strikers run on average 5 miles in 90mins, midfield 8miles and defenders 4 miles. On the other hand, I do 4 miles on the beach every morning in 20min, slowly building back up to 6 miles in roughly 30min, bear in mind that is over unpaved footpaths and sand, and I'm recovering from an ankle injury.

It's a fantastic game to watch with friends, the feeling of seeing your team succeed, the hollowness as they lose. Battling back from a percieved defeat or losing at the last can stir emotions rarely registered by a lot of men, possibly, because they don't get out enough. I truly don't get this, watching other people play such a game? Does anything really change if they win or lose? Why make such a big deal of 22 grown up boys having a kickabout?! The emotion etc, what the hell?!

While I accept that people like the game and respect them for their views, don't ever forget that at the end of the day, it's just a game. They aren't heroes. They're normal guys like you and me. They don't do anything special.

It honestly is just about kicking a bag of wind on a piece of grass, a park, an empty car park etc...

It's not important.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. :D
    Most of it is meant to be lighthearted, but you get my drift.

19. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    Lol @ footie war above! :p

Back to the meet - nlindenj, you shouldn't feel the need to reschedule, you have quite a few NE people wanting some form of meet. I am sure a few can go to the comic con, and then meet up with the others TV induced into a mix of hypnotic coma and screams (of rage and joy) :p You can laugh at them then hehe.

I think the September comic con in Newcastle will be out for North, since it is either Nat's London or York meet. The one before maybe ok again for NE, but July is turning out to be a hectic meet month for FF-UK regional, at least for me lol.

20. spike_thmid

Apr 13, 2005
    The point of supporting football is an impossible arguement - I suppose it all boils down to "tribal instinct"

It is a way of being part of something, it is stamped into your soul. You have no choice over the team you support, well I don't - I was born in Middlesbrough, and being only a small part of the club I love & what it represents it me give me great pride.

The actual playing of the game for me is only a very small part of it. An attack on your team is like a personal attack.

Oh, and I strongly disagree with the remarks on goalkeepers, while you may not run the same distance, your flexibility, concentration & reactions are far greater than others on the pitch - speaking as a member of the goalkeeping family :p

21. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003

Slaps Dickie with a Halibut.

I shall respond further later good sir.

I'm also a Goalie and while it is taxing is someways it is certainly not as strenuous and being an outfield players (I've nearly killed myself in midfield in the past)

22. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    Since this is meant to be the Newcastle meetup thread for organising, can you lads take it outside lol! :p

Men and their football! *rolls_eyes_completely_round_head*

23. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    Football is a girls game.

Have you ever watched womens footbal?!?!?!?!? :p

I never mentioned sex though I said it was a glorious game your counter arguement had no basis

1-0 to me

pitting the skills and strengths of 11 silly men against another 11 silly men.

Non Arguement

2-0 to me.

The tactics and abilities are overrated by commentators, to give an air of importance to what is, in essence, a pointless game.

Incorrect, have you ever tried running at full tilt with a ball at your feet, keeping it under control and then being able to execute a perfect cross?

The tactics are key to the game as well.
    Do you play with one man up front and pack the midfield limiting the room the other team has to play.
    Do you know your oponents team well enough to be able to let them have more room on the ball as you believe you abilities are greater.

Tactics are very important in football

3-0 to me

The trust you need to have in your own team to back you up has no meaning, who needs trust when they're being paid £250,000 a week to back you up?

I never brought wages into this, and whilst I agree that wages are insane (I'm a strong proponent that they should all get paid a basic wage and get exceptional win bonuses) the wages have no baring in trust.

If that players doesn't perform he lets his team down, At amateur level he'll get blasted by his team mates for the next week. At professional level that could be the difference of playing at the world cup or in the conference.

I'll concede draw here though as you raise a good point with wages

4-1

The fact that on the pitch there is nowhere to hide, if you fail the team fails with you, but of course, you get paid whatever the outcome. Also, everyone can watch you as you roll about in 'agony' after being brushed by another player.

Re the payment issue see arguement above, Re injuries I'll concede you that. It's a part of the game i detest along with players signalling the ref to card another player and diving.

There is still nowhere to hide but cheating has reared it's ugly head in a bad way on the pitch now.

4-2

Fantastic for fitness (unless your a Goalie)?
    Strikers run on average 5 miles in 90mins, midfield 8miles and defenders 4 miles. On the other hand, I do 4 miles on the beach every morning in 20min, slowly building back up to 6 miles in roughly 30min, bear in mind that is over unpaved footpaths and sand, and I'm recovering from an ankle injury.

Ok great your getting fit well done. Running however is a completely different exercise too football due to the varying pace of the game.

I personally find running to be the most tedious way of getting fit and if I can play football I'll run further and enjoy myself more.

I'll give a draw here as well

5-3

It's a fantastic game to watch with friends, the feeling of seeing your team succeed, the hollowness as they lose. Battling back from a percieved defeat or losing at the last can stir emotions rarely registered by a lot of men, possibly, because they don't get out enough. I truly don't get this, watching other people play such a game? Does anything really change if they win or lose? Why make such a big deal of 22 grown up boys having a kickabout?! The emotion etc, what the hell?!

Some things stir huge emotions in people, sport happens to be one of them with a large proportion of this country.

Don't tell me you've never gone to watch something (a band, ballet, motor racing etc...) and found that huge emotions have been stired.

yes they're having a kick around but their performance on the pitch and whether they win or lose can hold a huge importance to some people, and if your playing it yourself then it can take on an even greater meaning.

As Spike says tribal instinct. The atmosphere watching England play live is outstanding. Old Traffod is the only place I've ever hugged a complete stranger as a result of England scoring a goal.

6-3

While I accept tha

24. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    Thanks for ignoring me Terry and spamming this thread with your football post. I ain't happy right now. [face_plain]

I hope we don't get this again mate.

25. Dickie

Dickie Jedi Master star 4

Jan 19, 2005
    Like we said, each to their own with whatever floats you engine, tickles your boat or revs your fancy :p

It is still vastly overrated, and a lot of people take it far too seriously. I used to be a keen LFC supporter, but got put off by the sheer amount of money, and the whole "Oh no! That ball touched me! Have I broken a nail?! I know, I'll roll around clutching my leg to get some sympathy!" thing. Allegedly, the recent FA Cup final seemed to be clear of that though, so you never know, things might get better.

Being truly honest, I've watched motorsport and felt emotion, but because of identifying with the drivers. Barrichelo's face when Ferrari screwed him over for another win, Raikonnen's after being let down by reliability and only just missing out on the championship, I know how they feel as I've had similar experiences. Mostly though, I'd watch something because I find it interesting, rather than supporting a team/driver, and I personally find football boring (although tennis ties with golf for the lead there :p). I do find the whole tribal thing a little backwards though, 20,000+ years of evolution and people still feel the need to form little tribal groups?

I'm going to leave it at that, seeing as the whole thing was meant to be lighthearted anyway :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.