main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Pittsburgh, PA News and reviews on Toys and Collectibles!

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by jedi_master_sal, Jun 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedi_master_sal

jedi_master_sal Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2002
    Actually I haven't checked it out yet. (snowspeeder) I will tonight and report back.

On another note, I got the Acklay last night. Actually, my fiancee picked it up for me. It was at the Robinson Wal*Mart. Only three were there so I doubt there's any left today. It retails for $15.

I like it BUT, you really have to fumble with the legs to get a good pose. Has a nice metallic finish. (don't really remember it being metallic in the movie but it still looks cool)

2. greencat336

greencat336 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 27, 2001
    Sal, just wanted to say thanks again for picking up those figures for me! And then at the last minute providing me with a second set for my nephew to play with.

3. JediJasen

JediJasen Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 15, 2002
    Ok, not SW toys this time, but since theres talk about the LOTR's movie here are some toys I saw at my Wal Mart. There wasnt much really. But they did look pretty awesome. I personally liked the Ringwraith. I plan on getting at least him. Very detailed they all were. There was a pack that included both Frodo and Sam. And there was the Giant Troll that was in the Mines of Moria. I didnt see if they made these figures, but they look like they are from the same makers of the Spawn figures. Very detailed, very cool.

4. BrendonWahlberg

BrendonWahlberg Jedi Master star 2

Nov 14, 2001
    Hi, Sal,
    thanks for offering to check on the figures included with the snowspeeder. You say the Luke is OK. Is the Dack figure, with its blue rebel symbols on the helmet, present and accounted for? Will I be buying this from you with a smile and thanks?

It's too bad I have to ask about this, but I have heard of people who return things to stores after switching the exclusive figure for a common one.

thanks,
    Brendon

5. jedi_master_sal

May 20, 2002
    I checked last night and it's a GO!

Thanks for reminding me about the puffy collars. That nailed it for me and I am happy to confirm that the snowspeeder is the true deal.

It's yours Brendon. I paid $31.76 (this is with tax included. Still have the receipt.
    (Don't forget the 35 cents from the previous fig.)

You can just make it $32 even.

6. BrendonWahlberg

Nov 14, 2001
    OK, it's a deal on the snowspeeder. Thanks for picking it up in the first place. From what you said, I'll never see one at Wal-Mart. Yet, I did look for one every time I went to the store, all during the period when they were supposed to be a store exclusive. But I never saw one. It reminds me of the Y-wing at Target. I had to show up early Sunday morning in the pouring rain having called ahead to find out when they were putting them out. A few other fans my age were there. We all got what we came for, but after that, I never saw a Y-wing in the store again. When the Cantina Showdown was an exclusive set, I never saw one in a store.
    I saw a B-Wing only once, and a skiff only because I did a rain check.

Does this echo anyone else's experiences with exclusives? Why do stores seem to stock and sell so few of them? I pity the 12" figure collectors who had to face so many exclusives. I just wish I understood why, when a store claims an exclusive, they do such a poor job of getting the stock out to the average buyer. Do they lose money as a result? Where does the stock go?

Now there will be accessory sets and cantina sets as exclusives this fall. I can only hope that being in this group will make it possible to obtain some of them.

Brendon

7. jedi_master_sal

May 20, 2002
    Brendon, i will explain fully the reason for store exclusives and availability at the picnic. There is a dark side to the manufactures and retailers and since I am the council member for toy and collectibles, I would be more than happy to explain it to you and the rest.

(Right now too busy at work and the post would be extremely long)

8. jedi_master_sal

May 20, 2002
    Alright, my fellow collectors, here is a great update for you.

The following are due to release in the near future:

Basic Figures Collection 1:
    Jango Fett, Slave I Pilot
    Clone Trooper, Republic Gunship Pilot
    Destroyer Droid
    Tusken Raider with Massiff

Basic Figures Collection 2:
    Lott Dod, Neimoidian Senator

Deluxe Figures:
    Clone Trooper with Speeder Bike

Unleashed Figures:
    Mace Windu
    Darth Tyranus

Playsets:
    Geonosian Battle Arena

12" Figures:
    Dengar
    Zuckuss
    Imperial Officer

Action Fleet:
    Luke Skywalker's Snow Speeder
    AT-AT

Target Exclusives:
    E4 Death Star Set w/ Death Star Trooper
    E2 Jedi Arena Set w/ Battle Droid
    Hoth Invasion Set with Hoth Rebel Soldier
    Endor Patrol with Imperial Scout Trooper

Go here for more info http://starwars.hasbro.com/bountyhunter/repnews_content.cfm?id=75. Check that page for the other link to the second page.

Great pics if you want to see them.

This is Hasbro's official site.

The Target exculsives mentioned above we already knew about but this was part of Hasbro's official release so I just threw them in as well.

There have been reports of those sets being found at Targets across the nation, but I haven't found them locally yet.

On another note the Deluxe Mace w/RED battle droid is out. I have one and can bring it to the picnic for all to peruse (not for sale). Even KarateYoda17 and I were looking on Sunday (8/3/02) and found two more so go get them. The Acklay is out but initially in limited numbers. Again, I have it and will bring for "show and tell"

I've seen scans of the long awaited 12in Dooku and he looks great.
    The new technology they are using for these toys is great. It is called real-scan.

It uses a scanner that can scan a face and build a 3-dimesional shape from that scan that can be used in making the molds for the face of a specific character.

Very cool and high tech.

9. jedi_master_sal

May 20, 2002
    The Silver Anniversary R2-D2 has been added to Toy's "R" Us computers.
    It is listed as "AC EX R2D2 GWP" (the GWP means gift with purchase). The SKN number is 632433 and the retail has been set to $0.01. TRU usually sets giveaways at the penny price, so they can be scanned at the register and stock can be kept track of (for replenishment, sales, etc.). It will be advertised in October. A minimum purchase price has still not been set, but from what's been said it should be between $25 and $40. Hasbro continues to say there will be enough for everyone that wants one.

This info was gleaned from my "other" site.

I thought you'd like to know the specifics.

10. greencat336

Jan 27, 2001
    Today at Target I got a "Action Fleet: A New Hope: Dune Sea Ambush" figure set.

It has the cutest little Bantha (with real fake fur, hee hee) with a tiny little Tusken sitting on her back. Oh, it came with Luke's landspeeder, too.

I don't remember if this series was mentioned on this thread or not and frankly I don't feel like scrolling back looking for it.

There was also "Tatooine Droid Hunter" with the escape pod and dewback with stormtrooper rider. "Mos Eisley Encounter" with a more sporty silver speeder and a ronto (sp?) with a Jawa rider, and "Imperial Endor Pursuit" with a AT-ST, a trooper on a speederbike and Luke on a speederbike.

They cost 5.99 each.

11. jedi_1966

jedi_1966 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 31, 2001
    Anyone have news on the Unleashed Anikin and Darth Vader (i know iknow...ain't it weird?)?

12. jedi_master_sal

May 20, 2002
    Thanks GC for mentioning the Action Fleet packs. They are indeed out and a good price. If you didn't get these the first time they came around now is a great time to buy. Good packaging, not clutered like the older ones where.

The Action Fleet ships are being found in droves.

Target exculsive accessory pack are out!!!!!

I picked up a Hoth and Battle Arena set last night. Hoth leaves a little something to be desired but still okay buy.

Love the Battle Arena set. Cool RED battle droid. Great articulation (like the EPI BD's) nice accessories.

Haven't found the Death Star or Endor sets yet but I know they shipped (talked to the toy dept. manager) The last two mentioned will for now probably be the most desired and therefore the least found as many collectors no doubt will buy multiples of these. Afterall, these sets were designed to be ARMY builder sets and that seems to be the case in the early going with the DS, Endor sets.

Interesting note about the Endor set, the scout trooper has a Major error. Seems during the assembly of the figure the cod piece (hip area) got turned around, so his "butt" is in the front instead, though the legs face the right way. So far this error has not been fixed and they have all been found to have this error.

Hopefully Hasbro will fix this....we'll see.

13. jedi_master_sal

May 20, 2002
    I have now found the Death Star and Endor accessory packs. Actually they were found on Wednesday, I'm just now getting around to posting it, sorry about that (busy at work).

Anyway, the Deathstar pack is great. Not to many people got lucky with getting a DS trooper so here's you chance. The Endor set is cool even though Hasbro screwed up the figure (see above posts). I especially like the "helmet xylophone"

These sets were created for those collectors who are army builders like myself.

I already have
    1 hoth (not planning on getting any more)
    3 battle arena definitely want more maybe 5 total
    2 endor maybe 2 more of these
    and finally 2 deathstar sets. This is the one I want the most as I need more troopers to fill up my displays. The hoth figure leaves something to be desired so I predict that it will clog the shelves more than the others. Nest will either be the Endor or Battle Arena.
    With RED battle droids coming out "single" carded in the near future the accessory packs my taper off in sales, after all they are twice the price of single figures. The Endor pack may taper off quickly as well since the Biker scout was just released a few months ago. Couple that with the figure error and this may start to see some shelf time.
    The definite winner of the accessory packs is the Death Star one. As mentioned, the figure was had to come by. I got mine through the fanclub. These (DS trooper) weren't produced in mass numbers so many collectors will be buying him up quickly.

As always if anyone need/wants these sets and would like for me to pick them up for them let me know. First ask first serve. Just remember that if you ask and I find you MUST complete the transaction. I or anyone else who trades/sells does not like to be stuck with figures.

For the scalpers it isn't such as big of a deal since they make their money back. I on the other hand ALWAYS sell at cost and can ill afford to absorb the cost and also don't want to make a bad name for myself with many returns to stores. They frown upon this and eventually they will mark you for this and you won't be allowed to return stuff. I've seen it happen and I enjoy my hobby to much for it to happen to me, so again please if you ask, consider that a formal request and you must pay for items when received.

Sorry I got a little off target, but I felt that needed to be reiterated.

14. jedi_master_sal

May 20, 2002
    AH YEAH! new stuff to be found!

I just purchased the Anakin, Padme, Darth Vader Unleashed. Awesome, especially Vader.

Found them at KB's in the mall at Robinson. $17.99 (a little pricey but still I have them)

Okay here's a UPDATE.

New toys for later this year are:

Obi-Wan (Arena Battle) with spear throwing action for fighting the Acklay beast

Mace Windu (Total Control)

Darth Tyranus with Sith lightning

Padme Amidala with soft cloak and articulation, which is presumably one of her dressy outfits

Library Droid 2 Pack (SP-4 & JN-66) who were in a cut scene (as mentioned on the official Star Wars site)

Tusken Raider with a detachable head.

As with all things, nothing is guaranteed. Hopefully they (Hasbro) will make all of these.

More news on upcoming figures coming soon.

Happy Hunting and as always...

MTFBWY!

15. BrendonWahlberg

Nov 14, 2001
    At Toy R Us, the Jango Fett Slave I is $10 off, making it $20. I decided to buy one at that price last night. But the deal is only for the rest of this week.

Brendon

16. karateyoda17

karateyoda17 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 9, 2002
    Sal, does the vader have a TCG card? If so could you tell me the stats :)

17. jedi_master_sal

May 20, 2002
    Oh yes my friend it has a Card. But maybe I should make you wait......

Oh alright I'll tell you.
    Vader: speed 40, p6, h5, use 3 force add 3p, use 3 force prevent 3 damage.
    Anakin's is up there as well: speed 60, 5p, 4h don't recall his special at this time and the Padme card is the same as in the regular deck (nothing special about it)

Does that help?

18. karateyoda17

Jul 9, 2002
    THANKS SO MUCH. Man Sal, your the king of collecting :), I really want that Vader unleashed now hehe, is the figure itself very nice?

19. jedi_1966

jedi_1966 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 31, 2001
    OH YEAH!You know it is!I want 'em!I'm gion' ta get 'em,right now!

20. jedi_master_sal

May 20, 2002
    Oh yeah, that figure is awesome. I think this will be one of my most prized pieces in my collection. I may have to buy a second one, just so I can keep one in the package all pristine and like.

I don't usually keep things in the package with some rare exceptions and Vader Unleashed is one of them.

I HIGHLY recommend this piece even for the non-toy collectors. It make a great conversation piece and "brightens" or is that darkens up any room.

21. karateyoda17

Jul 9, 2002
    Mman I want Vader SOOOO bad. Wish I could find him, I want all 3 really but Vader is the one I want the most!

22. 1Bobafett14

1Bobafett14 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 3, 2001
    The newer action fleet ships look great! Dooku's ship is fantastic, love the sail on it.
    Also the "Newer" AT-AT, which is technically the "older" version of the AT-AT looks awesome as well. I love how they molded the base for it similar to the late 90's action fleet remote control AT-AT, the "natural" style bases look great if you're one to display your stuff opened. I only wish they made this one remote controlled as well.

I too love the unleashed line, when we saw em at C2, the whole group of us checking out the display thought they were fantastic. I'm taking my chances on the fact that these will eventually go on sale. If I see em around $10 or less, I'm grabbing them.

I've lucked out so far on the C2 figs, got most of em on sale. One of the last figs I needed w/background card(battle droid) I found in Harrisburg recently.

Over the last 4-5 yrs. I haven't been running out and buying stuff as soon as I see it. I've been pacing myself, and have been extremely fortunate judging what stuff will end up in the clearance bins(sometimes you win...). It's been nice, cause I have been adding a ton of new stuff to my 3,000+piece collection, at a fraction of the cost, and at the same time saving some serious cash!

23. jedi_master_sal

May 20, 2002
    I almost forgot to mention this....

I went up to Pymatuming Lake this past weekend and on the way back stopped in Greenville which is just south of the lake. There, I went to the local Wal*Mart and found 7 Snowspeeders and 5 Tie Bombers.

No I didn't buy them all, but I did get one of each for Max (KarateYoda) and an extra Tie Bomber. I don't really need this one but wanted it, but if any of you would like to have it I'm willing to sell or trade for it.

The Cost is $32.50. As far as trade, well offer me a trade and we'll see if we can make a deal.

BTW, I talked with the customer service person there and she said some lady had brought all of those back at one time and claimed "They didn't want them anymore." You all know what that means..."SCALPER!"

Who in their right mind would give up that many if they were a true collector. She propbably couldn't sell them for the price she wanted (which I guess to be twice the price if not more). Goody for me and Max and to someone if the want the extra TB from me.

Serves the person right. I just wish I could have been there, saw her turn them in then go buy three of them right away. Oh she would have been P.O.'d.

Well anyhoo, LMK about that TB. Right now it's still MIMB. (MIMB= Mint in Mint Box)

24. greencat336

Jan 27, 2001
    Just sharing . . .

I just bought what has to be the weirdest thing in my collection. The Jar Jar Binks 3-D Adventure Board Game. I'm not a Jar Jar fan, but it was too freaky to pass up.

And it had Qui on the box cover ;)

25. jedi_master_sal

May 20, 2002
    Bring it to the meeting and let's have a go of it.

NEW news (?) anyhoo....

Toys R US has released it's exclusive Landspeeder w/Luke. I just picked it up last night at the TRU in Robinson.

VERY MUCH improved paint detail. I beleive this is a new mold, (I could be wrong though) (You all better write that one down, I don't often admit that, he he)
    The figure is from the land of SUCKdom, but still it's worth it. The packaging is great. Lots of "Windows" to display this if your a "Carded" type collector.

Me, I just opened it about an hour after I got home.

Good luck.

(I'll be bringing the second one I picked up for ROX to the meeting so all of you will have a chance to view it.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.