News from up North.

Discussion in 'Ventura County, CA' started by marmakecam, Oct 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marmakecam Jedi Master

star 4
    Well, the big news: Kelsey is going to be playing the part of Padme on one of the Star Wars floats in the Rose Parade in January. She's going to be wearing one of the actual costumes that Natalie wore in the movies. We don't know which one yet, I think it depends on which fits better. She gets to go for a fitting next month at the ranch. Pretty cool, eh?

In unrelated news, we sorta met George Lucas at the ILM Halloween party (didn't really get to talk to him though). We got a picture with him, we're wearing Serenity costumes which makes pretty funny. If I can manage to get the photo off Kelsey's camera I'll post it, I tried tonight and it didn't work. I'll figure it out when I have more time.
  2. GentleBant Force Ghost

star 5
    WOW!

That's awesome news!.....Oh, I'm so going to be glued to my TV.

:~)

Will she have any handmaidens? (Yes, I had to ask!)

And can't wait to see your party pic!
  3. marmakecam Jedi Master

star 4
    I was wondering about the handmaidens too. I sort of doubt it but you never know, there are going to be a lot of people in costumes.
  4. GentleBant Force Ghost

star 5
    I volunteer! ;~)

Well, except I won't be anywhere near Pasadena, most likely...and uh, yeah.

5. GentleBant Force Ghost

star 5
    Does she know which gown she'll be wearing? And are you allowed to tell us if she does know?
  6. marmakecam Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm allowed to tell but I don't know yet. I think she'll find out on the 17th when she goes to the Ranch for fitting. I get to go so I'll try to get pictures.

It looks like I may be in the parade too, as an Imperial Officer, but I don't really want to. I will be helping out in some form either way.
  7. YoungJedi11 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Why don't you want to? Aren't you pretty much living your life dream up there?
  8. GentleBant Force Ghost

star 5
    Awesome! And c'mon, you'd make a great Imp. :~D

Oh, I'm so excited for you!

(Psst, if you are allowed to take pics and see any handmaiden gowns while you're there, would you snap a few pics for me?) Are you going to post the fitting pics at your blogthingy?
  9. marmakecam Jedi Master

star 4
    I don't want to because I've never really desired to be in the limelight or anything like that, I prefer to work behind the scenes. I don't want to walk in something as huge as the Rose Parade... unless I had a mask on or something. Not to mention the thought of walking 5 miles in boots doesn't really appeal to me. And no Garrett, I'm not really living my dream, Kelsey is living it for me! :)

If I see any handmaiden costumes I'll definitely take pictures, actually if I see anything cool at all I'll take pictures (if I'm allowed) and yeah, I'll post them in my blog.
  10. GentleBant Force Ghost

star 5
    Yay!

Oh yeah, I bet Imperial-issued boots would be painful. :~D

But you've gotta' agree that getting fitted for it and actually getting to wear a real[/b] uniform would be awesome!
  11. marmakecam Jedi Master

star 4
    Yeah, they're actually making them for us I think. It would be a thousand times better if I got to keep it though!
  12. YoungJedi11 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I have no idea where I heard this, but I think the shoes they make you wear for costume stuff like that is not half-bad. I'm pretty sure it was on a behind-the-scenes of the Macy's or Rosebowl, but they don't actually outfit you with costume-quality shoes, it's stuff that's made for long and comfortable walking. Just thought I'd throw that in there.

Anyhow, that is so sweet you guys get to do that. Tell Kelsey to put a good word in for me up there.
  13. marmakecam Jedi Master

star 4
    As it turns out, the people helping who don't have costumes are going to be wearing sort of fake Officer uniforms, basically what the band is wearing. So you're right about the shoes, they're called "marching shoes" so they must be fairly comfortable.
  14. GentleBant Force Ghost

star 5
    LOL...Hmmm, I don't remember marching band shoes being all that great.

So you're going to be in costume, either way?
  15. marmakecam Jedi Master

star 4
    Yeah, despite my best efforts I have to be in it.
  16. Keiran_Horn Jedi Master

star 4
    I'll be recording the parade on my VCR to show off to my family. :)
  17. GentleBant Force Ghost

star 5
    Just so everyone knows...(reposted with permission...)

Call for Costumed Rebels and Rogues!

Good evening, members of the Rebel Legion, Southern California Fan Force, and Southern California Garrison. Please pass this email along to your fellow Fan Force and Legion members. I?m counting on this group to be the messengers, not necessarily to want to march in costume (although you might want to!). Thank you!

You might have heard that Lucasfilm would be looking for a few ?non-stormtrooper? costumed characters to walk in the ?Star Wars Spectacular? in the Tournament of Roses Parade, to happen January 1, 2007.

You heard correctly! We are! We are looking for a few very cool Star Wars movie characters to walk alongside our floats, wave to the audience, and add some additional Star Wars atmosphere and charm to an already exciting presentation.

Here?s a sample of the costumed characters we?re looking for:

· Boba Fett
    · Jango Fett
    · Zam Wesell
    · Tusken Raiders
    · Rebel Pilots
    · Rebel soldiers
    · Darth Maul
    · TIE Fighter Pilots
    · Red Imperial Guards
    · Chewbacca
    · Jedi
    · Other hero and villain characters
    · Not all these characters will necessarily be represented. Final selection will depend on quality of costumes.

· Darth Vader ? Darth Vader would not be in the parade, but could be in some other appearances during the Rose Parade time, and could possibly act as backup for the parade Vader.

To apply, email good quality photos of your costume, front, back, and side, plus a close-up head shot, to:

Mary Franklin

Mary.franklin@lucasfilm.com

By Wednesday, November 15th, 2006, 6:00 PM.

Please send your contact information, including address, cell phone, and preferred email address with your email.

Preference will be given to Southern California characters who live within driving distance of Pasadena, but costumers from other locations will be considered.

If you and your costume are accepted to march in the parade, you will be provided hotel accommodations, meals during your rehearsal and performance period, as well as travel expenses appropriate to where you live. Travel expenses cover one person, and the hotel rooms will be for four marchers per room. Meals at the official hotel will be provided, but for troopers and official parade participants only. As we have maxed out the official hotel with participants alone, additional hotel rooms for families and friends will need to be booked separately, by the individuals themselves. If you choose not to stay at the hotel, you will be responsible for being there on time to take the shuttle to rehearsals and performances.

These character marcher positions are not paid positions.

What criteria are we looking for in Rose Parade character marchers?

· Quality of your costume ? does it evoke ?movie real??
    · Ability to march 5 ½ miles in costume for at least 3 ½ hours without removing your mask or getting out of character.

· Sturdy costumes that will stay together with marching and waving.
    · Availability to be in Pasadena from December 30, 2006 through January 1, 2007 for rehearsal and marching.
    · Will the Rose Parade audience be able to recognize your character? Not all characters or personal interpretations of characters will be immediately recognizable as part of the Star Wars universe by those watching the parade.

· ?Suspension of disbelief? provided by your costume. Will audience members see you in your costume and think you could have walked right out of one of the movies?

· Southern California characters will be given first priority due to our travel budget considerations.

Any questions, please drop me an email! I?m very much looking forward to seeing some of you in Pasadena!

Mary Franklin

Events Manager

Lucasfilm Ltd.

(415) 623-1107

FAX: (415) 623-1540

18. marmakecam Jedi Master

star 4
  19. GentleBant Force Ghost

star 5
    Cute place!

If it didn't cost as much to ship stuff to you as it would cost to just buy it, I'd give you guys stuff and furniture. :~)

Congrats on being out of the hotel!
  20. GentleBant Force Ghost

star 5
    Wow!

I got accepted to do the Rose Parade.

:~O

Guess I'd better practice long walks...

What sorts of home-stuff do you guys need most?
  21. marmakecam Jedi Master

star 4
    That's awesome GB, are you going to be a handmaiden? I wonder if you can be with Kelsey since the costumes fit together.

Kelsey got to do her fitting today. I'll post all the pictures and info as soon as I can. She got to try on two from Episode 2 and one from Episode 1.

As for what we need most, I'm not even sure. We don't have much of anything right now. If you have any extra kitchen stuff like dishes tupperware, cooking stuff whatever. Really, if you have any stuff you don't need just let me know and I'll tell you if we have it or not. I think Kelsey is getting some stuff from her grandma but other than that we're on our own. So yeah, anything you have that you don't need let me know! Thanks!
  22. GentleBant Force Ghost

star 5
    Do you guys have towels and stuff?

I'll dig around...only trouble is shipping costs. :~)

I was accepted/"invited" to wear my flame dress, so if she's wearing an Ep I, that'd be awesome. :~D
    It'd be awesome to get to "attend" to Kelsey!
  23. marmakecam Jedi Master

star 4
    We do have some towels, we kind of had to go out and buy some. We just got the stuff from Kelsey's house and grandma today so we're a little better off. I think the main things we need now are clothing hangers, silverware and cookie sheets but really any kitchen stuff could be good and other random house stuff. We're going home for Thanksgiving so if you find any stuff you don't need I can come by and get it. Or if you happen to be going out of town and through Camarillo you can always drop it off at my parents house if you have time. Thanks!

In other news, we went to a SFFF meeting today. It was pretty fun, they seem like a good group. They're a lot more organized than we are but it's less personal too. I guess it's a give and take.
  24. Miana Kenobi Costuming & Props Mod - Retired Admin

Manager
    star 8
    I just heard about Kelsey, and WOW congrats Matt and Bant too!!! I'll be there decorating the floats for the 3 days, so I'll definitely get to meet you guys at the judging. Congrats!!!
  25. GentleBant Force Ghost

star 5
    We're driving through the Bay Area at the end of Thanksgiving! Trading places with you guys, I guess!

Hey, I'm anxiously awaiting Kelsey's "trying on" pics....! :~)

Tell her I'd love to get a pic with her if I'm allowed that near to her that day. :~D

Hmmm...I'll try and catch on on IM sometime this week and talk with you about what sorts of stuff you guys need, and dig through our extra stuff.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.