main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:QLD News of the Day

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by morgan-aleghieri, Sep 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigBossNass1138

BigBossNass1138 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    "New device 'uses emotions to play games."

Sounds like Ping from Megatokyo. :p

2. ImperialCourtessan

ImperialCourtessan Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 10, 2005

http://www.theforce.net/latestnews/story/R2D2_Mailboxes_Confirm_Rumors_104142.asp

3. Grieyls

Grieyls Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 2, 2000
    I so want one of those :D

4. kahli

kahli Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2000
  5. casual-jedi

casual-jedi Jedi Master star 4

May 6, 2002
    Professor Plum... with the Poison Gravel... in the Penguin Enclosure.

6. GoobaFish

GoobaFish Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002
    Poor Penguins. Maybe they will get a new enclosure now? The old one looked kinda tacky, seeing as though it apparently was an old converted swimming pool. Oh, right, the dead Penguins. Poor blighters! Maybe the otehr ones could be given a day at Wet n Wild. Huh? Oh, chlorine.
    :(

7. ImperialCourtessan

Mar 10, 2005
    Bit more on the R2D2 mailboxes... costumer friend Kay-dee has some news clips over at her site, she and local RL/501 members got to participate in the launch.

http://www.goldengategarrison.com/gallery/r2d2mailbox?page=6

There's 400 boxes across the States, and will be removed at the end of March. I hope they auction them off and donate the funds or something.

8. ImperialCourtessan

Mar 10, 2005

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1598886,00.html

*sigh*.

9. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    How depressing. The ironic thing is that I've heard several commentators liken the portrayal of the Persian army in the film to the American foreign policies that spark this kind of hatred in the first place.

10. Luke_Sparkewalker

Luke_Sparkewalker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    That's just wierd.

Talk about kicking up a stink over a movie that isn't even marketed as a historical piece, I'm all for freedom of speech but geeeeezzzz. Any excuse to bash America.

Makes you think that if Iran ever made a film based on thier depiction of the past, would the western world be able to condem it as much as 300? I doubt it.

11. Lozza

Lozza Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 8, 2005
    A bit of good and bad today. B*stard of a language, but one of the first steps towards the electronic gaming heaven we live in today. RIP.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=255846

12. kahli

kahli Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2000
  13. GoobaFish

GoobaFish Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002
  14. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    You can do all kinds of stuff on these new-fangled interwebs they got these days.

Why, when I was young, if we wanted bootleg movies we had to walk butt-naked through 40 miles of blinding snow to get them, and they cost us an eyeball and 2 kidneys.

And I tell you what, we were HAPPY about it.

15. morgan-aleghieri

morgan-aleghieri Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 2006
    I'm reminded of the "Four yorkshire men" sketch. For reasons of public security I shall refrain from actually quoting the entire thing from memory :p

16. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    "Oh we never had a cup! We used to have to drink out of a rolled up newspaper!"

:p

17. Kahlan72

Kahlan72 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 27, 2000
    Newspaper cups? You were loooky.

No. no...NOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But really who'd have thought our main uses for this internet thingy would be chatting and acquiring entertainment. Not me actually. I thought it would just be like a big Encyclopaedia and would be as boring as!

18. Grieyls

Grieyls Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 2, 2000
    A small proppartion is boreing as anything, A larger portion is very entertaining but most of it is just plain wrong.

19. Magnus_Darcrider

Magnus_Darcrider Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 24, 2005
    Why, when I was young, if we wanted bootleg movies we had to walk butt-naked through 40 miles of blinding snow to get them, and they cost us an eyeball and 2 kidneys.

And I tell you what, we were HAPPY about it.

Indeed we were. Halcyon days! I massage my kidney scars and polish my glass eye with pride!

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

20. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    A-yup. Only problem was, see, that on account of the price, a fellow could only get 1 bootleg movie 'fore he was blind and couldn't watch 'em! But we used to cosy up to them pirated betamax tapes and smell 'em by way of enjoying them. Remarkable bouquet a copied video has, doncherknow.

And as for trouble with the law, well, we didn't worry about none o' that. They couldn't sue the pants off us, see, on account of we didn't have pants back in those days, just potato sacks. And not them fancy sacks with holes cut in the bottom for your legs, no. We was too weak to cut holes, on account of walking 40 miles to get our movies...

21. Lozza

Feb 8, 2005
    Anyone else vaguely disturbed by this:

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=256843

22. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    A friend of mine is getting a Purity ring, as is her boyfriend. When I think about in context of those two, I find it to be sweet, but on the whole and despite my christian background I do tend to think there is a vague element of trendiness lying under it all... I don't think it's a stupid concept, but I find it hard to resist the urge to roll my eyes, make of that what you will. [face_thinking]

23. Magnus_Darcrider

Magnus_Darcrider Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 24, 2005
    I'm trying to come up with the most cynical statement possible to mask my discomfort over such a concept. The best I can do is:

"I wonder how long these Purity Soirees will keep going once the father realises he'll now have to buy his daughter three dress; one for this, one for her debutante's ball, and one for prom."

My snark is proportional to my caffeine levels, obviously.

Whatever happened to just using a rocking chair and a shotgun to scare the boys away??

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

24. Lozza

Feb 8, 2005
    I suppose my whole take on this one was the bit where it combine the whole thing with "encouraging father-daughter relationships". Without going to the whole "so wrong" side of the park, this vaguely reminds me of the imagery given to us by pop-culture of the 18th and 19th century. With all the other BS - emotional blackmail for women undergoing abortions, etc - which have recently been introduced, I'm somewhat disturbed by this apparent slow-slide backwards that may (or may not) be happening.

25. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    Of course, the funny thing is that we are the back-sliders in their eyes, Loz.

I can sympathise with the positives of this sort of thing, stuff like this is like the iPod of the Christian (and especially pentecostal) world...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.