main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Next Generation Console Game Expectations

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Lando_Bubrissian7, May 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Even__Piell

Even__Piell Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2001
    PlayStation and PlayStation have the exact same controller. There are no differences other than an updated force feedback

2. alpha_red

alpha_red Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 24, 2003
    the games were just plain better.

Bull. They just advertised better. 99% of all PS games are crap.

3. P_J

P_J Jedi Youngling

May 18, 2004
    That's the funny thing isn't it?

PS1 had so many more games. They had many good games, but then take that, just like any console, multiply it by at least 50, and that's how many games that it has that aren't worth even renting.

4. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    PlayStation and PlayStation [2] have the exact same controller. There are no differences other than an updated force feedback

My guess is that the PS3 controller will make the L2 and R2 analog and "trigger-like" just like the GC.

I think the Nintendo Revolution will probably add something similar to the L1 and R1 on the PS1/PS2 controllers in replacement of the Z-button.

XBox 2 should probably remove 2 buttons from the 6 on the right.

5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    At the very least, I expect Nintendo to add a "left side Z-button" to mirror the actual z button.

If they just make the crosspad a tad larger and find a way to make the Z button (s) a little more natural in their placement, then they'll have perfected their cotroller, IMO. As it is, the GCN's controller feels like a glove.

6. Vader_vs_Maul

Vader_vs_Maul Jedi Master star 3

Dec 4, 2003
    I agree. The GCN controller is very comfortable to play with. I even like the Z-button. And in fact, I wish more games could use it as a trigger button. The analog R-button just doesn't feel like a trigger.

7. Darth_Kevin

Aug 30, 2001
    So far I rank the GC at number two overall, just below the DC in terms of comfortability and utility. I still find the Z-button uncomfortable to use - I think at the very least is should be lowered so I don't have to stretch my index finger, or maybe make it a middle finger botton underneath the trigger on the handle, similar to the Z-botton placement on the N64 controller.

8. TIE1138

TIE1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 3, 2002
    If they just make the crosspad a tad larger and find a way to make the Z button (s) a little more natural in their placement, then they'll have perfected their cotroller, IMO. As it is, the GCN's controller feels like a glove.

I couldn't agree more.

.....or maybe make it a middle finger botton underneath the trigger on the handle....

That's a brilliant idea. I've always thought that while both thumbs and index fingers are busy, my other fingers feel a little bored.

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    >>just below the DC in terms of comfortability and utility<<

The DC controller wasn't bad in the button layout department but as far as comfort goes, it left my hands in a lot of pain after using it (especially on fighting games). You really needed to get the madcatz version to solve that problem, but then you encounter the same face button layout problems that plague the XB controllers.

10. Lando_Bubrissian7

Lando_Bubrissian7 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 14, 2004
    Does anyone miss the DCN's unforgettable classic VMU? I really wish the Next-Generation Consoles would consider adding that to their controllers; at least one of them.

Sega, to me, was most memorable for its Dreamcast days though they were the most short-lived. I mean wouldn't it be cool to play a Star Wars adventure on a memory card? Plus, it saves space for the console itself!

11. Rabid_Balding_Ewok

Rabid_Balding_Ewok Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2000
    I'm not a big fan of the Cubes controller. It looks and feels like a cheap piece of plastic. The thing is so fragile I always feel tempted to snap it in half when I use it. It's a horrible controller for FPS and fighting games. But I guess thats what we get for Nintendo trying to cut corners and make the cheapest system. And those thumb sticks have got to go. They should have at least tried to mirror Sony and MS by letting the sticks click in.

>>> Bull. They just advertised better. 99% of all PS games are crap.<<<

Wow, you must have hated the N64, Saturn and the 3DO then. Because the PSX had more critically acclaimed games then any of those systems. Not to mention that it had great games for every genre, Racing, RPG's, strategy, fighting., ect. It had it all.

-----signature-----
    "Rabid Balding Ewok, you make me sick.
    If there was an enemies list, you'd be on mine."
    [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh]

:::*::(^^) :(^^) :::::::
    ::::::/::::^^:::::\ ::*::
    :::::/###-^^-##I :::::
    : *:.l##/(*)# (*)\\:::::
    :::/##(###.00#)#I ::::
    ::(___/#*#(XXX)/__) ::
    ::/000{{{{www}}}}\:: Ewoks Will Eat You!

12. -RebelScum-

-RebelScum- Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 21, 2004
    make a version of StarWars Galaxies for the DS and PSP since they can go online and do have good graphics. the graphics of the system might be up to the PC version and if it isnt it will still be close

13. -RebelScum-

-RebelScum- Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 21, 2004
    i have to disagree there. Virtua Fighter Remix on Saturn was a much prettier game than anything on the PSX at the time. the key word being at the time. it was on par or better than the first Tekken. it wasnt until Tekken 2 that PSX surpassed it as developers got better. see also Panzer Dragoon. just as good or better than anything on PSX at the time.

N64 was graphically superior to PSX of that there can be no debate. N64 had better lighting effects, better polygon engine, and anti-aliasing. N64 suffered because of two things, the cartidge media, and Nintendo's inability to produce games people wanted. Square did not abandon the N64 because of the hardware capabilities. graphically N64 could have produced good enough graphics. they abandoned it because the media would not suit their games.

you can absolutely compare PSX and Dreamcast. look at the time lines. dreamcast was released in 1999. PSX was on its downard slide and it STILL outsold the superior machine. dreamcast was in second place for its entire lifespan. if PSX wasnt beating it, PS2 was.

the point is, its not how many polys you can push, its not whether or not you support 4xAA, and it doesnt matter if your machine has a hard drive or built in network support. what matters is the games. all the whiz bang graphics and hardware are worth nothing if the games arent good.

I agree, and the PSX did have better graphics then the N64, much smoother, the N64 could of never pulled a FFVIII, thats just my opinion though

14. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    PSX having better graphics than N64? !!!

Compare the graphics, textures and anti-aliasing of Rogue Squadron or Ocarina of Time to, say, Demolition or even Metar Gear Solid.

15. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    The thing is so fragile I always feel tempted to snap it in half when I use it.

I always have the same temptation :p But then I realise its a platinum controller so I won't do it ;) This is not the case with the wavebird though. Which feels quite solid.

I have to say one thing though, in my opinion, the GameCube controller is the only controller of the three consoles where you don't feel overwhelmed by the controller and that you can easily pick up play with it, no matter what you're used too.

16. Vader_vs_Maul

Dec 4, 2003
    That's because it has so few buttons. Compare it with the Xbox and PSX controllers.

17. Macewindu77815

Macewindu77815 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 13, 2002
    I find the GC controller the most comfortable by far...and the only change I would suggest to it is maybe like other people have said put the z button on the back of the controller...and the only thing I hope for in nintendos next system is backwards compatibility.

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    >>That's because it has so few buttons. Compare it with the Xbox and PSX controllers<<

It has 2 fewer buttons than PS2 (lacking "L1" and select) and 2 fewer buttons than XB (lacking white or black [the other subbing for Z] and select).

I haven't felt the loss of the select button at all, so I wouldn't even count that, personally. Which means it's only a difference of 1 button, really.

19. Vader_vs_Maul

Dec 4, 2003
    Oh...I didn't bother to count. It just seemed like it they were so few in comparison. :p

Which probably means that the GC controller has a much more...shall we say 'tidy' look than the other two.

20. TIE1138

Apr 3, 2002
    Wireless controllers should be standard, let's get rid of the wires already. While on the subject of wireless, all broadband adapters should be wireless as well.

Wires are so last century.

21. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    While on the subject of wireless, all broadband adapters should be wireless as well.

I'll use wireless when it's as fast as wired. Not before.

¤Night

22. Darth_Kevin

Aug 30, 2001
    Wow, you must have hated the N64, Saturn and the 3DO then. Because the PSX had more critically acclaimed games then any of those systems. Not to mention that it had great games for every genre, Racing, RPG's, strategy, fighting., ect. It had it all.

The original comment was based on percentage. PSX also had a lot more games in general. For example, if 1 out of 20 PSX games were good, and 1 out of 5 N64 games were good, N64 then has a higher percentage (20% as opposed to 5%), but if the PSX had 1000 games total and the N64 had 100 games total, the there would be 50 good PS games and 20 good N64 games. PSX had it all, but most of it was crap, and everytime you got a game you had a much higher chance of buying a crappy game.

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    That tracks somewhat- I never found many games on PSX that interested me much, and most didn't seem that great- shy Final Fantasy perhaps, but I never got into that series.

By contrast, I seemed to find many more enjoyable titles on the N64.

24. TIE1138

Apr 3, 2002
    I'll use wireless when it's as fast as wired. Not before.

Granted and agreed. So not only do I now hope for wireless, but wireless that is faster than current wire. I thought it already was about up to par, but it won't hurt to hope for it.

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Actually, I'd first prefer they make a wireless with rumble capability.

The lack of that feature is the only reason I've only bought 1 Wavebird instead of 4. Battery life be damned.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.