main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:VIC Next meet! 11th October

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by SithLord-Mixo, Sep 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dags

Dags Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 3, 2000
    Apparently Channel V will be turning up to the meeting to film some stuff - though I don't know why.

So there ya go, ya might get ya mug on the tube!

2. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
  3. lordvaderFF

lordvaderFF Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    Nah...don't be put off by that...if you don't want to be filmed, just act normal....they only film the major geeks.

4. SithLord-Mixo

SithLord-Mixo Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 21, 2002
    Geek!....starts biting the head off a chicken

5. oldbenk31

oldbenk31 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 27, 2003
    I am still going to try and make it but we are moving in to the new house on the 13th so it may be a busy weekend.

6. SithLord-Mixo

SithLord-Mixo Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 21, 2002
    1 day to go people!

7. Protege-of-Thrawn

Protege-of-Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 14, 2001
    Have fun guys! Be sure to keep Mixo away from the ball pit: the magistrate was quite specific about that when he filed the last injunction.

8. lordvaderFF

Nov 29, 2000
    Well I would have posted some pics from yesterdays meet, but it was hard to find anyone to hold the camera to take my picture.

Way to go peoples.

9. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    This meet went well?:confused:

10. PulsarSkate

PulsarSkate Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2003
    Ohh, I was hoping there'd be a report by now. How was it?

11. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Yeah, unless they are all still there! :eek:

12. Dags

Dec 3, 2000
    So if you have a scheduled VicFF meet and only two people turn up, LordVaderFF and myself, does that still constitute a successful meet?

<starting to hear the closure of the big creaky doors of VICFF>

As for the meet itself, yeah it was a great day. Around 80 people turned up, Channel V were there filming stuff for their show, a representative from Scienceworks came along to explain in detail what the Science of SW exhibition was all about, SW was recast using modern day actors, and we finally proved why Jedi are evil.

13. lordvaderFF

Nov 29, 2000
    and as always Dags ran an awesome and entertaining auction.

14. PulsarSkate

Nov 4, 2003
    Wait...Jedi are evil?

15. Dags

Dec 3, 2000
    Yes they are and I proved it using 100% CANON material - Yoda in particular is the main culprit.

16. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    I must say I am disappointed that only you two were there, with all the pre notice and hype behind this I would have expected alot more. Apathy seems to be running deep in Victoria. Can't keep holding you guys up by your suspenders, you seriously need to have a meet every 4 months with at least 3 people there. This is not brain surgery, others do it all the time. :( Come on Guys, have a meal at a pub, drinks even on a Sunday arvo. Something, I don't want to see you lot go under, and if you've been watching I have been pushing you hard to stay alive. But I can only do so much, and coming over there to arrange a meet is out of the question, and a little extreme. When the VicFF was established, the rules were clear, they still apply. Posting is one part, but a meet is the other half. Please help me help you!!

Good work Dags and Vader, you did your best and I know you had the best intentions of the VicFF in mind.

I have a feeling there is some kind of 'background' history I don't know about, that much is clear enough to me, but we're all grown up aren't we? Time to move on? I hope so.
    ;)

17. PulsarSkate

Nov 4, 2003
    Ha! Awesome :p

18. Dags

Dec 3, 2000
    I completely understand where you're coming with this. Maybe people were busy or were out enjoying the sunshine. On the other hand though, this was advertised as an official meet so...

I think the problem is that VicFF has simply run out of active members. Sure there might be a lot of people registered, but in terms of how many Victorians are actively a part of this group (not just the odd poster here and there), I think it'd be lucky to have 5.

Ultimately I think VicFF is dying under its own weight of disinterest. The lack of threads, active posters and inability to hold successful meets supports this. It's worth noting that I only came back because LordVaderFF asked me to as VicFF was under threat of closure.

In any event can I suggest you allow VicFF another chance. If people here are keen to meet up (and keep VicFF alive for a little while longer), then the next Skyforce meeting is December 13 - same location, same time. Now if there is some anti SWI sentiment going around, then so be it and another meet can be arranged by someone else though historically that's never worked as we all well know.

If the December 13 meet also fails to attract any VicFF people (though I'll be there :) )then I guess the writing will be on the wall.

Feel free to PM me about this if you wish.

19. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Sounds good Dags How about you start a thread and let everyone know about this December meet, and let it be a second chance to save this place.

I am sure you guys don't want to see the VicFF die, and to spur you along, can you imagine how the SAFF will react if you guys slide off the boards?!?! ;) :p

20. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    *sigh* I couldn't make it in the end because I've got about a billion deadlines to meet this month, and the time management skills of a goldfish. And I probably won't be able to make December 13 because that's when uni graduations are and my parents will be here.

If we wanna meet for lunch/coffee sometime in Nov or early Dec, though, that would be kosher.

21. oldbenk31

oldbenk31 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 27, 2003
    I wish I could have been there, my move to the new house that weekend kept me from coming. I would love to try and attend the next meet to help out and also meet some other SW fans. Glad that the meeting this weekend went well, and again wish I could have made it.

22. Protege-of-Thrawn

Protege-of-Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 14, 2001
    Is there anyway to perhaps - I don't know, might be crazy - but perhaps find some flexibility in such draconian "rules" (which sound like some cellar-dweller in the states had a sugar high and though themselves a bit too-self-important when writing them up?)

Whilst it may be through a wanning period, I know VicFF in the past has been cyclical. Some periods of utter inactivity, then there was a big rush of folks, and now it's down to - as has been noted above - only a core 5 or so folks. Further to that, a lot of folks are quite busy with a host of other things, be they career or otherwise. Both JE and I travel a fair bit with work and study, and aren't always in Melbourne to attend such events, as much as I'd make the committment if available.

It just seems silly to be stressing so much over meeting quotas and all that sort of crap. It's about fandom, no? Folks having fun through the mutality of their fandom. Although I'm not surprised to see such UnWise rules in place, I'd have hoped for some more contextualisation for their implementation. I understand that lower hits means less revenue from the banner adverts, but I suppose I foolishly hoped that a fan-based community would be less mercantile. It'd be a sad day if some time down the path there IS another surge of Victorian interest, and that this website isn't still here to either catch new folks, or at least point them via the link to StarWalking, which is obviously the resourced, established and active arm of fandom in Victoria.

I don't understand how some folks seem to be online posting everyday - and kudos to them for doing so - but the fact that VicFF is absent such all-day-online types is hardly sound reason to judge the fans who do value this forum or to get all heavy-handed and delete it.

Events are now being advertised, people are at the very least taking note and attempting to find the time, and considering he lives in a remote part of Victoria, Mixo is doing a bang up job at trying to stimulate interest and encourage people ahead of time to meet these silly quotas. Is this really the time to be banging on about deleting the board and such rot?

23. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    So much as you think I am just being a pain in your proverbial, I am only doing my job. And like any good 'worker' I am following the rules of my 'boss' as it were. The question has to be asked 'why should all FF in the world live by the rules and you guys not?' I'm sorry if you don't like the rules, and that you believe someone who is in your opinion unable to make such rules, but when the Vic FF was established, they agreed to those same rules, like all Fan Forces world Wide. We are all busy, and no, I do not spend my entire life in front of my computer, today alone I have made curtains for my sons room and various other things. Yeah, I'm a mum, but I'm busy too.

Yes, the posting here is wonderful, you guys are alive and I'm very pleased about that. I have nothing against the amount of posting now, its way up to standard, and I did say above that the December meet might be a second chance to get together. It's been near on three months since I stepped in, and longer before that with Hawk since there has been a meet in Victoria. I'm only following the rules, and the pressure coming down from the Admins here at TF.N. As I have said before, don't shoot the messenger. I do take my position seriously as RSA, and I, for the most part enjoy being able to pop into various FF and interact with members, so me reminding you that a face to face meet is necessary is all part of the job, good or bad. And I've not been mean about it, infact I think I have tried my best to be upbeat and positive. I want you guys to stay around, but when I'm getting the questions from above, I have to answer them honestly. One face to face meet with three or more people every four months is the rule, and that is all I am asking for, all the rules are requiring. I am sorry if it feels like I am flogging a dead horse, it's certainly not my intention. Just trying to do my job without making too many enemies. ;)

24. Jet-Eye

Jet-Eye Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2001
    Are you fair dinkum? What rubbish.

This is just a fan forum with very active posters, so what if a few rules say that we should meet up every now and then. What, is it costing them bundles of cash to run the bloody thing? Get real. What is with this place and taking yourselves so seriously? Sure, abuse should never be tolerated, and it's good that the forums have a strict anti-swearing policy. Good for you! Dem's good rules. But dear oh dear, shutting down an active forum because we don't meet up? Brilliant, way to ruin a perfectly functioning forum.

It never seemed to be a problem before - for five, no, strewth, how long have I been here, SEVEN years - that we hardly met up, why is it now all of a sudden such a big problem?

You know, I hardly see some of my best mates more than once or twice a year, should I just tell 'em goodbye and thanks for all the fish? Man this stinks. I've known Mixo for ages, ever since he starting rapping his stuff with good old Lute. This forum disappears, bang, there goes something special, all for some rubbish rules that haven't imposed themselves EVER until now.

And for the record, I'm just about finished writing a thesis, so I'll be posting here a little more than my few times a year, thank you so much.

25. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    I take this volunteer job as seriously as I'd take any volunteer job, be it working for the Cancer Council or helping in the school canteen. And all volunteer jobs have rules to abide by. As to whether previous RSA's followed the rules is not my concern or certainly not how I set my following of said rules by. Yes, I'm 'Fair Dinkum' and I find it really offensive that all I'm trying to do is keep you guys alive and all I get it utter grief and stress for my efforts. Heck, I know of RSA's who have not even given second chances and just closed boards down with a single warning.

Fine, you guys stay here and send scathing posts my way, I wont be responding anymore. I've made it clear about the rules, I have been told by the powers that be what must be done and I wont go on about it anymore. I just don't need the stress you guys are giving me over me simply trying to do my job.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.