main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Victoria. BC Next Meet? :)

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Qui-Dawn, Jan 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Qui-Dawn

Qui-Dawn Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 8, 2000
    Hi all.... Do we have any sense or input, ideas or notions, as to when we wanted to have our next meet? Any sense of the where and when, or anything we might want to get up to in so doing? Just wondering....I mean, now that the holidays are over (wah!) and we're all somewhat back to the vaguely normal routine of things....or at least, as so-called "normal" as some of us can ever get. :D

Dawn.

2. Rani Veko

Rani Veko Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2000
    Perhaps next weekend, if Derisa's finished moving to her new place by then? That'd be the 17th or 18th of January. She's offered her new place as the location, details will be forthcoming, once a decision is made.

Alternatively, if she needs more time to get settled into the new house, we could always meet at QV's again. That place had good atmosphere for a get-together the last time we were there. :)

As for activities, we're open to suggestions. Anyone want to see a matinee out at the Langford Caprice for $4? Maybe catch a second-run flick at the Roxy? Perhaps a casual housewarming party, Star Wars style?

- Rani

3. Alakin_Marshwalker

Alakin_Marshwalker Jedi Youngling star 2

May 16, 2002
    Allo allo and all those other friendly greetings. I felt the need to let everyone know that I have fit a dozen people in my living room with relative ease and that my place is a decent place for meetings. Just thought I would volunteer my place in case it is needed.

4. Qui-Dawn

Jul 8, 2000
    I think a housewarming party sounds nice....seems an appropriate thing to do in any case, I mean, *sometime*....so if that's what it is to be, I'm alright with that. Should I bring anything? (other than my own loverly self, of course!) :D

I was actually hoping that we might have another meet quite soon....was actually on the verge of throwing one together entirely by my lonesome self, if need be....because sometimes a body simply needs to do *something*, anything!....but if it's to be that soon again, then I'm quite glad, as I said - because then I can deliberately and willfully sit down to finish a second short fanfilm script for everyone's perusal. And the thing about this one is....it's not dependent on the weather! Thank goodness. :D

Hey, I just want to do *something*.... :)

Dawn.

5. Rani Veko

Apr 22, 2000
    Okay, Derisa is cool with the idea of a housewarming party at her new place. Unfortunately, Telus is two days late hooking up her new phone, so we'll have to wait until I see her in person tomorrow morning to confirm a time and day (though I think Saturday is the most probable). I'll also ask her if people need to bring anything. Her place is right along the 22 bus route, West of Helmcken Rd. on West Burnside (near Victoria General Hospital).

I'll be PMing and e-mailing everyone with the specifics hopefully tomorrow.

Alakin, thank you for offering your home for a meeting! Can we plan the next "in-home" activity after this one for your place?

Hope to see everyone there this weekend!

- Rani

6. Alakin_Marshwalker

May 16, 2002
    Next Saturday is great for me. I will be leaving next monday for a week or so.

And anytime we need a place to meet, my apartment is usually available. short of plague and famine of course.

Anyhoo, although I have noticed the trend of short posts, not much I can about it with this one. Hope to see you guys this saturday.

7. obi-wan_kurtnobi

obi-wan_kurtnobi Jedi Youngling

Jun 6, 2002
    Howdy kids been awhile since I wandered these parts I just wanted to say Hi and let you all know that I miss everyone dearly sorry for my rescent absence. If your having a meeting next weekend I'd love to attend of course clearly my current work schedule has made me all but unavailable. Still i would like to let you know that I still think of you often and hope that I will be able to see you all again soon.
    kurt

8. Rani Veko

Apr 22, 2000
    We've missed you too, Kurt! :)

- Rani

9. Alakin_Marshwalker

May 16, 2002
    Hey, hope I am not being a pest, but just wondering if things are still a go for this weekend. I am leaving town for a week on monday so would be nice to get in a meeting before I depart the isle. Off to do the early birthday party with family before plotting a more entertaining one for here. 21 is a big year in my oh so humble opinion. Anyhoo, before I start to ramble, would appreciate a heads up on the plans for the weeknend. Thanks in advance.

10. TR-0773

TR-0773 Jedi Youngling

Jan 11, 2003
    Hey I would love to meet everyone! Maybe I can bring another trooper along as well, it would work out really well for me if we are doing this next weekend but this Saturday works for me too (crappy shift work) any hoo must go back to guarding the Imperial shipyards ta ta.

Randy

11. Qui-Dawn

Jul 8, 2000
    Well, yeah, I'm pretty sure that we did in fact have it pegged for being this weekend....so the more who can make it, the merrier....by *far*! :D Very cool....and I can't wait to meet new people, too, I must say! Been quite a while since we've had that opportunity....but now we must....expand our ranks....we will keep growing and expanding....and conquer all! Bwahahahaha.... :)

Of course, I'm also making sure to come up with a sort of fallback position, an alternative idea for something to do, somewhere to go....even if it's only to meet up at a coffee place somewhere in town....just in case - the off-chance, I'm sure - that the standing plans we have as of right now, were to fall through at the last minute. :) Now, I'm sure that they *won't*, of course....but it's always good to be prepared. After long and painful experience do I know this. :)

Still, for all intents and purposes as of right now, since we haven't heard anything else to the contrary, I think it's safe to say....meet this weekend! Meeting new people! Whee! I'm ever-so-thrilled.... And aside from my script, which I will apply myself to enthusiastically enough to get it finished for public perusal, in time....I've also come across a number of articles that I think would be of interest to the group....tee hee, I just love finding these things, it's like stumbling across buried treasure every which way I go! :D

Dawn.

12. Qui-Dawn

Jul 8, 2000
    So, I guess the pertinent question right now is - who *can* make it to the meet this weekend? Or tomorrow (Saturday), to be more precise....who *can* come, that's the important question I'm now wondering.... :) Let's have a bit of a roll call, shall we? Makes the planning that much easier, I should think.... :)

Dawn.

13. Qui-Dawn

Jul 8, 2000
    *a little surprised, cocks her head and intently peers around* Ooooh-kay.... So, what - is there *any* interest, any at all, in doing any sort of a meet thing this weekend? Or am I just completely out of the loop, again....apparently? Friday evening, and awaiting further word, clarification most important for its own sake....

Dawn.

14. Alakin_Marshwalker

May 16, 2002
    I think it is relatively safe to call this one a bust.

15. Qui-Dawn

Jul 8, 2000
    Oh, yeah, I've been getting that very distinct impression for a while now. I *wish* I could say that I was hugely surprised.... Unfortunately, though, I am not. And what does *that* say, I wonder.... *sighs disappointedly* I just think that more than just one or two people should be able to organize and put on "official" meetings and gatherings; indeed, I am of the opinion that if at least one person wants to get together with others, for even a spot o' coffee for the afternoon, or something....then they should be able to. And if not everyone can make it to the meet in question....so what? All that matters is that at least *some* people can! *piqued*

Dawn.

16. Qui-Dawn

Jul 8, 2000
    *looks around momentarily exasperated beyond all power of mortal speech, then quickly collects herself* Okay, look, how about this? I think we can all see that *obviously* some things have apparently fallen through for this weekend....but that hardly means that *everything* should suffer the same fate. And by that I simply mean....would anyone *like* to join me for a bit of a social outing this weekend? Even if it *is* just for a quick cup of coffee, even simply to touch base....though if coffee's not your druthers, and indeed it's not to my liking either, then, heck....there's always tea or Sobe or whatever else strikes your fancy, yum. ;) And especially if it's to help meet-and-greet and finally get to know some newbies, which I am *definitely* all for....oh, come *on*....please? Anyone?

Look, all's I'm saying is that this weekend doesn't have to be a total wash when it comes to being all sociable-like....and even if it's just one, two, three people or whatever just hangin' out for a little bit, that's quite alright....*more* than fine with me at this point, actually....because the whole point is just to *get together*. That is, in truth, how I have always reckoned it.

Now, I am not deliberately leaving some aspects of this nebulous, or some particular details not entirely fleshed-out....'cause I just want to make one thing clear: that anyone who would care to join me to be sociable and hang out even if only for a little while....hey, that counts as a meet, yes, it *does*!....and that is very much five-by-five with me, and can I just say....that it would come as very, *very* good news right about now. Please, get back to me!

Dawn.

17. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

_Derisa_Ollamhin_ Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    Many apologies guys: the weekend thing can still be a "GO" if anyone cares to come over... I'm still unpacking boxes, and am supposed to be going to try out a pony for my kids, but I'll be home from 2 pm on.

My phone is up and active, although my internet is still pending, as my poor Mac is too old and slow to connect to Telus Velocity (new pooter Tuesday, I hope!) I have been commandeering all of Rani's time, as she's now primary childcare for this newly employed person. And since the V-Base email list is still packed... makes it hard to get off that proffered email notice.

Anywho, you can call her, or me, but I'll PM the three of you with my address, in case you can come by to eat popcorn and my famed cookies, and hang out and help me warm my somewhat chilly basement suite. :) Maybe even meet our new pony! :)

Hope to see some of you tomorrow night,

*Derisa*

18. Rani Veko

Apr 22, 2000
    *sigh*

My solution was to reschedule something for next Wednesday evening AND next Saturday to make up for this weekend, as I was under the impression this was cancelled too, seeing as she had packed up the e-mail list and neither of us were anywhere near an internet connection these past few days, but Derisa's obviously going ahead with her crazy scheme. :) That doesn't preclude us getting together mid-week and/or next weekend as well, I might add. ;)

Y'know, I keep mentioning this at the meetings, and we ALL keep forgetting to do it, and that is to schedule our next activity at the end of the current activity. How about we try that this afternoon/evening at Derisa's, okay folks? :)

As far as UNofficial activities, there is nothing stopping anyone from using these forums and scheduling one. Alakin recently organized one of our most successful impromptu gatherings down at QV's, and six people including a new person showed up! I still say that place had a great atmosphere for after-movie coffee-drinking, and we should do that again soon.

So, anyone want to go see a movie next week? Which movie, which day of the week? Kurt, which night are you available/not working so we can see you again?

- Rani

19. Qui-Dawn

Jul 8, 2000
    I'm suffering from the extreme, excruciating and constant pain of two impacted wisdom teeth and a third which may start up a horrendous fuss at any moment, for all I know....so since that is of course distracting me a fair bit....I shall be brief.

I noted in checking through the Cinecenta guide that starting January 31st, and going the first two or three days in February as well, they will be showing "The Ring"; having seen this one back in....I believe it was last November....I can certainly assure everyone that it is genuinely thrilling, chilling, frightening, spooky, eerie and creepy....and also certainly best seen in the company of a big audience, with friends to grab on to during a particularly scary moment and whatnot. For reasons such as those, I would suggest "The Ring" - for sheer excitement, and all that.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm the only person who notes that the seeming distinction between "official" and "unofficial" is, at times....a very, *very* fine one. If, in fact, it's there at all....sometimes it is only too hard to tell. Ergo, the reaction of feeling utterly stymied at times....

Now, given as how I'm still in a rather substantial meed of pain here....I fear that I have no choice but to try and rest for a time. Sigh....

Dawn.

20. Rani Veko

Apr 22, 2000
    Well, we had six in all show up last night for sushi, shrimp rings, chips & dip, and movies about aliens (Lilo & Stitch and Signs). Thank you Derisa, for inviting us into your great new home, and to Sionnach for her delicious sushi!

I hope your teeth feel better soon, Dawn. It sounds quite painful, and you have our sympathies. :(

- Rani

21. TR-0773

TR-0773 Jedi Youngling

Jan 11, 2003
    sorry I couldn't meet up with everyone, I really am interested in meeting many of you soon, working shift work really inconveniences a social life, look forward to the next meet though!!

22. Qui-Dawn

Jul 8, 2000
    Well, let it not be said that I don't try to come up with ideas....because here are a couple for perusal:

1) anyone wanna see something like "The Ring" next Friday? (Cinecenta prices are cheaper) Also more fun as a group....well, certainly more fun when it's not just *one* person. But then, that's obvious, I'm sure.... :)

2) laser tag (there's the one place that I know of, for that....it's a ways up from Eatons Centre, sort of tucked in next to that....hall, or something. You know, near - I think it's that grandiose Catholic church....well, anyway, I've been to that laser tag spot several times, and though it may look small from the outside - there is *plenty* of room inside, rest assured....and it's also quite cheap, and you definitely get your money's worth and then some....it really is a heck of a lot of fun!)

Well?

Dawn.

23. Rani Veko

Apr 22, 2000
    I've been wanting to do lasertag for a while now...can you post any details, Dawn? Even if you just know the name of the place, I don't mind phoning them up and getting an idea of prices and times...or if you like, you can do that yourself. I don't mind either way. :)

- Rani

24. Qui-Dawn

Jul 8, 2000
    Most assuredly I should be able to come up with the required information for laser tag, in regards to pricing, possible group rates, available times, and so on and so forth. Unfortunately I was not able to do so today, as I'd otherwise hoped, but now that I'm aware of the centre's winter hours, I daresay that it should not be quite so difficult now. The laser tag centre in question, incidentally, is the one on View Street, near the parkade....I hope this clarifies at least one small thing to start with. So I will endeavour, then, to get the requisite information in hand soon enough....

However, I am still wondering and *very* much hopeful - isn't there *anyone* who would like to join me for a deliciously spooky, eerie, creepy, and in general most entertaining and fun movie night watching "The Ring" over at Cinecenta? *Anyone*? Come on, there must be *someone* else.... I have the Cinecenta showtime publication sitting right here in front of me, and can therefore clarify that it will be showing there on January 31st, February 1st and 2nd, at 9:30 p.m. only each night. Admission, incidentally, is listed as separate....again, just for the sake of further clarification. So this is, then, something I am very much up for doing....I *want* to be sociable here, you understand....and I think that this is a perfectly decent and fitting opportunity to do so. And I do hope that someone else will care to join me....either Friday or Saturday night, whichever one may best suit other folks....because I'm really good for other one. :) 'Twould be nice, I assure you, that's all I'm saying....

Hoping to hear back....

Dawn.

25. Rani Veko

Apr 22, 2000
    I'm not much one for creepy thriller movies in the theatre, myself, Dawn. I'm more into renting them on video so if I find I'm getting too freaked out I can completely chicken out and hit the "stop" button. :)

Don't let me stop anyone else from going, though! I just felt you should know why I was opting out. :) It sounds like a fun evening and I hope everyone has a great time!

Cheers,

- Rani

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.