Next Meeting Discussion Topic - Own Domain

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by PtrsonsZOO, Mar 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: DieWompRatDie, Grimby
  1. PtrsonsZOO Force Ghost

star 7
    We should seriously consider getting our own domain. TD has been great acting as our host, but if we're gonna make a go of this thing, we should get our own.

The approximate cost appears to be in the neighborhood of $160 - $180 for a 1 year period. That works out to around $10 from every member/year. I think it sounds very reasonable.

We can start the topic here on the boards but I want to put it to a vote after the next meeting. Just remember, those voting need to make a commitment to paying an equal share in our new home.
  2. PtrsonsZOO Force Ghost

star 7
    I got a weird message about not having the right credentials or that the virtual directory won't allow access to get to www.rmff.com, but it looks like www.rockymountainfanforce.com is still available.
  3. JediDragon Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I'm assuming that you mean the hosting when you say $180 a year? Because the domain name should only belike $35 a year.

I really think this sounds like a great idea, and I thought of mentioning, but didn't for a reason. Right now is a bad time for me (and I believe some others) as far as money goes. Especially with the costuming and whatnot being paid for in the next couple of months.

I realize you're not asking for a major donation, but for some of us pennies count for a lot. It's a great idea, and I'm all for it...I'm just not sure now is the best time to dive into it...
  4. JediMasterHolokron Jedi Padawan

BTW - My new alter ego - Jennifer

I figure this is something that would not come to fruition until June @ the earliest. We'll need to get some price quotes, look at the features of each host, etc. I am very big on surveying the market before buying anything.

I just figured if we start talking about it now, we can have most of the decisions made by the time we actually complete the purchase and we can have our site up very quickly.

Besides, I want to see if everyone else is of the same opinion from the beginning, because I would hate for anyone to put a lot of time & effort into this project and then we decide to not even do it.

Thanks
  5. JediDragon Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    well in that case, I'm behind you 100%
  6. kitarusapien Former RMFF CR

Chapter Rep
    star 6
    First thing...firmly establish cost for the domain in it's entirety for one year, then we can haggle!
  7. kitarusapien Former RMFF CR

Chapter Rep
    star 6
    Keepin' up with the CHUNK's , eh, Jen?!
  8. teneniel_djo Jedi Knight

star 2
    i'll re-post this here since it seems to be the new place for the topic....

well, the domain, nathair.com, is mine and i use it for my personal projects....and there are several on there right now. currently, the fan force site isn't taking up much space, but at the rate we're wanting to add pictures, i can see that space (and bandwidth usage, which occurs everytime someone visits the site) could definitely be a problem in the near future.

now we could, conceivably, go with the smaller plan at veoweb, which is $6.00/month. the problem is that we would only get 15mb....which is very small. i'm not sure, with all of the pictures you guys are wanting to put on there, that we should go that small....but we could try it at first, and then, at a later date, if we feel that we need more space, we could upgrade.

veoweb also has specials....this month it's 225mb for $12.00/month.....which isn't bad.

i know it sounds expensive, but they are actually one of the cheaper ones with all of the services they provide such as cgi and mysql, which we may find useful in the future.

that, and i think it would be a good idea to have our own domain. i'm not sure how much longer i'm going to own the nathair domain (my registration expires this summer), and i may be moving to new york in the upcoming year, thus i wouldn't really be a part of the group anymore.
  9. teneniel_djo Jedi Knight

star 2
    registering the domain would only be about $21.50/year, depending on whether we want a dot com, dot net, or dot org.

also, you may offer an incentive to people who pay by offering some of the space on the site for personal homepages....i know jgoc is also using some of my space....not sure if she'd be interested in something like that. but that way, you could all do individual pages for your costume pics and put them on there as you'd like....with your own commentary.
  10. JediDragon Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    sarah is doing a separate page for the costume group, but the personal page thing would be great and I'd love to take up a chunk of it (if I could ever get my computer that is) :) .

I tried to go to rmff.com and it says it's , so I think someone already has that, but I think rmff.net would be great (keeping w/ tf.n's domain).
  11. Obi_Wannabe Force Ghost

star 5
    rmff.com IS taken (owned by RMF Freezers Inc. out of washington - courtesy of whois) but just about every other suffix, .org, .net, etc is available.
  12. chunk_the_jawa Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    we could tie it all together and have like a fetured costume of the month and a collection of the month fan of the month along with up dates on meetings and photo's and all that happy crap.
    I think its a good idea.
  13. darth_hair Force Ghost

star 5
    me and sith__chick would be up for that .
  14. SITH__CHICK RMFF CR

Chapter Rep
    star 7
    he means we would chip in.
  15. Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Yeah, a place to host the costume page would be great too. :D I was looking for places and there are not that many with good service left. However I had run across a couple places that offer unlimited bandwidth and a bunch of good features as long as you regester the domain name with them and then they charge a set up fee.

I'll go see if I can find the addys for these sites...

But I would be more than willing to help pay for a piece of web realestate.
  16. chunk_the_jawa Jedi Grand Master

star 5
  17. Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Well I still can't find the exact sites I am looking for, so why don't you guys just take a look at some I found that seem to offer pretty decent deals. Of course I am not all that knowlegable in web hosting, so why don't you guys pick out the good ones...

iPowerWeb
    FreeHostingWeb.com
    FreeNFP.com (This one is cool because we qualify for a nonprofit organization discount)
    Featureprice.com (there are also some other nice deals on this site too)

And those have taken me an hour to find... :p I'll look for more, but later.
  18. Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus

star 6
    So these were the only place I could find. Any thoughts?

(Just upping this to the top of the list)
  19. darth_hair Force Ghost

star 5
    i dont know anything about that stuff . all i know is i can talk to you guys and look at ...
  20. teneniel_djo Jedi Knight

star 2
    thanks for looking those up, jgoc. :) i'll be bringing print-outs to the next meeting and we can discuss it more in depth.
  21. PtrsonsZOO Force Ghost

star 7
    Thanks again for the work TD & JGoC
Moderators: DieWompRatDie, Grimby
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.