main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lou, KY Next Meeting?

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Drk Father1, Jun 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drk Father1

Drk Father1 Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 18, 1999
    Yep! That is correct. Got the update posted today. (Thanks to Sebulba-X).

That's it, we've just got to build our own meeting hall! How about a great big treehouse! :)

2. Zam-the-Assasin

Zam-the-Assasin Jedi Youngling star 2

May 29, 2002
    Didnt someone on here mention something about owning a business with a room that we could use?? If so, that would be awesome. But since nothing has been said about it in a while, I am guessing its a no go. Hmmm.....I am thinking that we should vote on making someone a treasurer, and all chip in "monthyly" dues (or whatever we each can afford) so that we can rent out a certain place once a month. That would be the most reasonable thing I could think of......If so, I would volunteer to be treasurer, or whatever. What do you guys think? ?[face_plain]

3. Bunny

Bunny Jedi Youngling star 1

May 24, 2002
    The cheapest place I found was the Kentucky International Convention centre and it was $165 to rent a room. We'd have it for the whole day, but that's just way too much. Let's see... if there are 30 of us and $10 a month each, that could cover it with money to spare (maybe for t-shirts or bumper stickers or something). You wouldn't HAVE to pay dues to be in the club, but maybe there could be some sort of er... perk for donating to the cause? Like we use some of the extra money to buy a rare Star Wars item and the people who give money can be entered to win it? Just a thought. Hey, what about making membership cards? UGH!! I can't wait until the meeting to talk about this stuff!! LOL!
    And Zam, darling, you have my vote as treasurer! I'm absolutely dreadful with money. :)

4. Unicron

Unicron Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 5, 2002
    I'm not one of them, as I think it would be worth it, but I'll wager some people aren't going to like the idea of paying dues. There's GOT to be someplace cheaper than the convention center. What about a hotel somewhere? Most of them have meeting rooms. My only problem with the convention center is that, once again, it's a downtown location, so outside of what it costs to rent the room you're also out money for parking (even the convention center garage charges).

We have a nice conference room here where I work, but it wouldn't work if we had any more than 8 or 10 people, because it's not that big.

This will sure be a lot easier to talk about in-person at the meeting on the 20th...my head spins from reading how long this thread has become...

-John

5. oggiebendoggie2001

oggiebendoggie2001 Jedi Master star 1

Jun 12, 2002
    I don't recall who mentioned it originally, but I do have a cousin who owns a business. A while back, he had a good deal of empty space in his building he was trying to rent out. I need to get in touch with him, but I will see if the space is still open, and if it is, if he'll let us use it.

6. Bunny

May 24, 2002
    Well, paying dues wouldn't be required to be in the group, but like I said, there could be some perks to donating money to the cause.
    I think I phoned everywhere in this city, including the Holiday Inn, and they do offer meeting rooms but they are for guests of the hotel. Even if we rented a hotel room to meet in (which would be cheaper than the convention centre) it's still gonna cost money and I don't think it's fair to burden one or two people with the bill. :) I can't afford $165 by myself. And if we're a group, we're going to have to contribute as a group. I don't think it should be a necessity to pay dues, or if all someone can afford is $2 a month that's fine... or nothing at all, I don't want to exclude people!

Of course, that's the great thing about the library because they do have rooms the size we need and they are free, it was a time issue that kept us from that. So, I guess our options are:

1) collect dues to pay for an indoors meeting place

or

2) be more flexible on meeting times

I know that no one has a lot of free time, but, some of us might have to go out of our way sometimes. Like, I REALLY don't like the park - I have bad allergies and don't get me started on bugs, the sun and heat. Plus, since I don't drive I had to beg my sister for the ride and I won't be able to stay too long if I want a ride home ('cuz it'll be after 7 in the evening). :) The only days that I just cannot do are Mondays and Thursdays. The others are a bit more flexible. The library is open to 9 on weekdays - is there anyway to move the meetings from Saturday? You know, we can always meet bi-monthly, which would give more people an opportunity to attend some meetings - we can hold one earlier in the day on a weekday, one later on Saturday - or vice versa.

:[face_sigh]:

I guess we can talk about this some more at the actual meeting (11 more days! Woohoo!). And we have some time to figure things out it's not winter yet. :)

Oh, and if anyone has any suggestions for possible places to meet, let me know, either by email (agent_bubblegum@bellsouth.net), private message, or in this thread and I'll look into it. ;)

7. Drk Father1

Mar 18, 1999
    The Library wasn't such a bad idea.....

What we need to do at our meeting on the 20th is have everyone fill out some kind of sheet showing what days/nights/times they CAN meet and we can go from there. And, in all honesty, if we plan our meetings with plenty of time in advance, it should give everyone plenty of opportunity to make arrangements to attend.

Maybe we could plan some meetings at a restaurant and just call in advance so they can set up a room or area where about 20 of us can eat together. (Something like Shoney's or Frisch's or Denny's)

8. Bunny

May 24, 2002
    That's a great idea! I can make up some forms for us to fill out. How many do you think we'll need?

And I live right down the street from the old Jacob school building and I know that they have a lot of community/charity based things there, so I'll phone them to see if they'll let us have an old classroom to meet in... I can't find the phone number in the book, but I can just walk up there tomorrow. :)

So, there should be plenty of time to make arrangements and if not, we can keep the minutes of the meeting and post everything we talked about to keep people up to date!

9. Unicron

Unicron Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 5, 2002
    These are all good points, I think. I agree on the park situation; I have allergies too (I had to dose up on Benadryl before me & Phil left the theater prior to the last meeting because I knew I'd be dying once we got there). And, let's face it, no one's going to meet at the park once winter gets here.

I actually really liked the library idea. My work schedule is usually really flexible so I can meet whenever, and if we needed to move which branch we met at around so people didn't always have to travel so far (if the main branch is a bit aways from them) then that would be fine too.

I think that it's going to be extremely difficult, if not impossible, to set a date, time, and place when every single person is going to be able to make it. This will only get harder as more and more people join the club.

-John

10. Zam-the-Assasin

May 29, 2002
    My guess is that at our meeting on the 20th, we write down all the meeting place ideas, then we can all vote. That way, the majority rules. Also, I am only working 3 days a week now, and I will always be able to get off before 6:30, so if we meet in the evenings like we have been, that would probably work best for most people, but then again, we are DEFINITELY going to have a *LOT* of stuff to discuss/vote/ etc. on the 20th.....Oi! :)

11. Drk Father1

Mar 18, 1999
    That would be great Bunny! How about 25? That should just about cover it.

12. oggiebendoggie2001

Jun 12, 2002
    Hey, folks. Just as an FYI, I've spoken to one of the roughly dozen community centers that are operated by the Metro Parks department - namely, the Newburg center. They have meeting space available, and if I understood them correctly, they will let us use it for free. They simply need a letter from us stating our desire to use the space, and give them dates & times.

Also, I spoke to the Jefferson County Southeast Government center about their meeting space. This one is defintely free, and all we need to do is phone them with a list of dates and times, and if the room is available, it's ours. I was told this one holds about a hundred people, so we won't have any problem with numbers. I did not speak with the other two government centers, so I don't know if they have similar facilities or not.

Finally, I haven't had a chance to talk to my cousin yet, but I will get in touch with him before the next meeting.

Since my fiance and I can't make the next meeting, I'll post any updates here beforehand. Later, gang!

13. Zam-the-Assasin

May 29, 2002
    That's Rad! THanks for all your research Oggie, be sure to let us know what happens! :)

14. historyfolks

historyfolks Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 28, 2002
    Hello All!! So sorry I've been away and haven't been able to respond to the "where the meeting will be" situation. Greta and I have been Sooooo busy with our work that we haven't had a spare moment to breathe. But... hEAR (notice the spelling, you'll understand when we meet at the office). You (we) are more than welcome to use the office for "our" meeting! I have about seven rooms, one is a rather large classroom, lots of computers for Star Wars games I can load hEAR, a "de-stress" room that has a TV, DVD player, VCR, all Star Wars films, CD player with Star Wars tunes, and lots of photos from the movies that Greta and I have been in. We do "historical artist" work for Civil War era movies, one of which will be out late this fall, "Gods and Generals" (the prequel) to Gettysburg, staring Robert Duvall, Jeff Daniels and others. Like I said, lots of movie stuff around. And yes, we can turn up the volume as much as we want. The adjoining offices won't be occupied on a Saturday night! Also have a small fridge, microwave, two bathrooms, etc. The classroom has several long tables with lots of chairs. Also lots of strange historical hearing devices as well. I'm the owner of the Hear In Kentucky Hearing Centers. Anyway, I know it's late notice, I once again apologize for my absence. If you still want to meet here, I'm sure I can "get it ready" asap. Ah, where am I. Well, very easy to find. About one mile from both I-64 and I-265 (Gene Snyder Freeway) on the east side of Louisville, in Middletown. Just let me know & I'll see what I can arrange.... quickly! Have a great weekend everyone!
    Bob

15. Drk Father1

Mar 18, 1999
    WAHOO! Well everyone? We need to move fast, we'll have to update our announcement ASAP!

16. Zam-the-Assasin

May 29, 2002
    SOunds good to me! :D

17. jediknightcox

jediknightcox Jedi Youngling

Mar 23, 2002
    Hey guys....sorry I have been out of the picture for so long. Trying to get ready for the birth of the Chosen One has been keeping my busy. :) Plus a lot of other things going one has kept me from visiting as much as I'd like. Hopefully things will calm down for me in the next month or so and then I can get back into full force mode. I will not be able to make the next meeting...(darnit) but rest assured...I will be doing my best to make the others. Someone keep me posted as to how the meeting went and what was decided for the future. Take care guys..and MTFBWY. As for me....3 months until the little padawan is here. :)

18. Bunny

May 24, 2002
    That sounds great, Bob! Perfecto! I can't possibly get to middletown especially at 7 in the evening, but that's OK. :) I'm certain someone will keep me up to date!

And I need to apologise for being a bit MIA, the fan in my computer died and I'm using my grandmother's (it's much better than mine and that's just sad). I hopefully will be getting my computer back Monday or Tuesday! YAY

Bunny

19. Jedi9650

Jedi9650 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 6, 2002
    Sorry I have not been posting for a while, the hassles of moving. Sounds like meeting over @ Bob's sounds like a plan.

20. tinkerwench

tinkerwench Jedi Youngling star 1

May 29, 2002
    Sounds Fab!

21. oggiebendoggie2001

Jun 12, 2002
    Hey, gang! This sounds great! I do wish we could make it this time. Maybe at this meeting, everyone should vote for the August meeting. ConGlomeration is August 16-18, so maybe we have an official meeting there. Or, if not, then maybe August 10, and we can plan a promo scheme for the convention.

22. historyfolks

historyfolks Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 28, 2002
    Hi Folks! Posted more directions to "the office" on the "other" board. Are you all still interested in meeting here?
    Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.