main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

NFL Draft 2009

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by RX_Sith, Feb 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    Opening up this thread for the NFL Draft in a little over two months.

I will post the picks as they happen on ESPN.

So, who goes where? There are all sorts of mock drafts on the internet. But, really, who is actually going to go to each team when there selection comes up?

[b]NFL MOCK DRAFT (by National Football Post)[/b]

With the NFL Combine starting this week in Indianapolis, the National Football Post offers up the first two rounds of its fourth mock draft.

Not much has taken place since NFP?s last mock, so you?ll find some prospects slotted in their same positions as last week. But things are likely to change dramatically in the coming weeks.

[b]ROUND ONE[/b]

1. Detroit Lions: Matthew Stafford, QB, Georgia
    We went with Alabama tackle Andre Smith in the last two drafts, but after looking over the free agency class of quarterbacks, the Lions are simply too limited with their options at QB. Stafford fills an immediate need and gives the Lions a potential face of the franchise. He?s the type of signal caller who can mature into a bona fide starter at the next level and possesses all the tools to warrant the first overall selection.

2. St. Louis Rams: Eugene Monroe, OT, Virginia
    With all the troubles St. Louis has had keeping QB Marc Bulger clean in the pocket the past couple years, offensive tackle looks like the only viable option. Monroe has the body control and overall athleticism to anchor the left side in the NFL for years to come.

3. Kansas City Chiefs: Aaron Curry, OLB, Wake Forest
    With new GM Scott Pioli in charge, expect the Chiefs to avoid taking unnecessary chances during the first couple of months of his regime. Curry is one of the nation?s top prospects and adds a legitimate playermaker on the defensive side of the ball. His versatility gives Pioli something to build around.

4. Seattle Seahawks: Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech
    The Seahawks were forced to play from behind a lot last year, which exposed their undersized defense. They can add either a massive DT like B.J. Raji or bring in a playmaker like Crabtree, who will instantly improve their receiving corps and allow them to start playing with the lead again.

5. Cleveland Browns: Everette Brown, DE/OLB, Florida State
    The Browns need to improve their pass rush up front, and that starts with the play of their outside linebackers. Brown is an explosive, quick-twitch athlete who knows how to get up field and create havoc off the edge. He?s exactly the type of pass rusher the Browns need to help restore their defense.

6. Cincinnati Bengals: Andre Smith, OT, Alabama
    The Bengals? offensive line was decimated by injuries last season, and they need to add some talent capable of playing at either tackle spot. Enter Smith, a physically dominant lineman who does a great job getting significant push in the run game. He has the ability to start on either side of the line and should make an impact from day one.

7. Oakland Raiders: Jeremy Maclin, WR, Missouri
    The Raiders will give left tackle a long look here, but a talented deep threat like Maclin is simply to enticing for owner Al Davis to pass up.

8. Jacksonville Jaguars: Jason Smith, OT, Baylor
    Even with the top two tackles off the board, the Jaguars don?t have a choice in addressing their team?s biggest need. Smith, a former tight end, is an athletically gifted left tackle who simply needs to improve his overall technique. He has as much upside as any tackle in the class and should give the Jaguars the kind of LT they?ve lacked in previous years.

9. Green Bay Packers: B.J. Raji, DT, Boston College
    Much has been made about the Packers? transition to a 3-4 defense, so it?s imperative that they find the pieces to fit the scheme. Nose tackle isn?t a desperate need for the Packers, however; Raji is simply the best player on the board. All the top 3-4 defenses in the NFL have a dominant nose tackle, and Raji is the kind of lineman the Packers can build their defenses around for years to come.

10. San Francisco 49ers: Michael Oher, OT, Ole Miss
    The 49ers find themselves in a tough position choosing be

2. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    40. Oakland Raiders: Jamon Meredith, OT/OG, South Carolina
    An ideal fit at either guard or tackle in the Raiders? zone-blocking scheme.

Part of one of the worst offensive lines in history!

It highly amuses me that the only Gamecock in this projection is an offensive lineman.

3. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    9. Green Bay Packers: B.J. Raji, DT, Boston College
    Much has been made about the Packers? transition to a 3-4 defense, so it?s imperative that they find the pieces to fit the scheme. Nose tackle isn?t a desperate need for the Packers, however; Raji is simply the best player on the board. All the top 3-4 defenses in the NFL have a dominant nose tackle, and Raji is the kind of lineman the Packers can build their defenses around for years to come.

I think this is the first mock draft that doesn't have the Packers picking a DB at 9. Which would be a bad pick, they don't need a DB like they need someone for the DL and OL. I think this would be a good pick for them.

4. Goddess-Jaina-Redick

Goddess-Jaina-Redick Jedi Knight star 4

May 5, 2005
    I don't see a QB going first, even if it is to Detroit.

5. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Michael Crabtree, welcome to Detroit?

6. jive-turki

jive-turki Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 15, 2007
    If Sanchez were still on the board, I'd want my Jags to take him. Other than that, go with a OT.

7. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    I can see Seattle taking either Crabtree (if still available) or Maclin with their pick. They really hurt in the WR corps last season, and both of these players are really talented.

8. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Not with their record picking WR.

9. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Well, they've only taken 4 first round WRs in the past 6 years... if it wasn't for the firings I'd be seriously wondering if it was time for a fifth :p

10. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    And, the new president of the "What the hell are you thinking and doing to your draft stock" Society is ...

Andre Smith!

Congratulations! You look only a little heavier than the previous president, Maurice Clarett!

11. JediCouncilMember

JediCouncilMember Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 15, 2003
    Yeah, I don't think the Andre Smith projections at 6 will hold.

He could be a steal for a team in the middle late first rd, esp if he goes to a veteran team (playoff caliber) with a solid coach. I really have no idea though on how far he slips.

12. Dc_10

Dc_10 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 26, 2005
    Nice to see the steelers are projected to upgrade the O line

13. MasterMonkey13

MasterMonkey13 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 19, 2008
    I read here that Detroit could pick up a linebacker. I think that's a good move.

14. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    The only way it doesn't happen is if something like what happened last year happens again: teams start reaching way too high to take OLine prospects, and leave good quality on the board elsewhere.

Of course, if that happens, I'd rather see the Steelers trade down for additional picks and maybe get two second-tier O-Line prospects (like Duke Robinson), than draft a luxury pick and fail to address the O-Line early.

15. JMJacenSolo

JMJacenSolo Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2006
    Mike Shanahan's not around to waste a pick this time ;)

16. KenKenobi

KenKenobi Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2002
    He's just getting a head start on his Bengal career, Inty. He's got to fit in with the team.

17. Jedi Greg Maddux

Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 3, 1999
    At this point it's pretty much a given that Crabtree's not going first. The brass in Detroit would have to be certifiably insane to even consider drafting a wideout. Drafting Stafford or Sanchez would probably make the most sense, Aaron Curry might also be an interesting, if somewhat maverick pick.

18. RX_Sith

Mar 13, 2006
    As March closes and we head into April, here is the latest Mock Draft (from National Football Post).

First round

1. Detroit Lions: Jason Smith, OT, Baylor
    All indications point toward the Lions bypassing a quarterback with the first overall pick and opting for a left tackle. Smith is a former tight end who possesses the feet and athleticism to be a mainstay for the Lions over the next decade.

2. St. Louis Rams: Eugene Monroe, OT, Virginia
    The Rams have holes on both sides of the ball, but for the offense to become a threat, they?ll need to upgrade the talent on their offensive line. Monroe is a physically gifted tackle with smooth feet and excellent body control for the position. He should be able to step in and immediately improve the Rams up front.

3. Kansas City Chiefs: Aaron Curry, OLB, Wake Forest
    The Chiefs lack any real playmakers on the defensive side, and Curry adds an instant physical presence to the linebacker position. He?s a do-it-all athlete with a rare blend of size and athleticism. He should contribute from day one.

4. Seattle Seahawks: Mark Sanchez, QB, USC
    The Seahawks have picked in the back end of the draft over the past five years and find themselves in a unique situation this year with a top-five pick. Expect them to look long and hard at a franchise quarterback who can be groomed as Matt Hasselbeck?s eventual replacement. Sanchez possesses an ideal skill set for the Seahawks West Coast attack and is a better fit than QB Matthew Stafford.

5. Cleveland Browns: Brian Orakpo, DE, Texas
    The Browns need to add another pass rusher to their defense in order to create more pressure off the edge. Orakpo is a gifted athlete with an impressive skill set and rare workout numbers.

6. Cincinnati Bengals: Andre Smith, OT, Alabama
    The Bengals need to improve the overall talent on their offensive line, and Smith is as gifted as any lineman in the draft. He comes with some baggage, but his physical talents still warrant a top-10 pick.

7. Oakland Raiders: B.J. Raji, DT, Boston College
    The Raiders have been one of the league?s worst run defenses the past five years, so a hefty run defender like Raji makes a lot of sense. He has the power to eat up run lanes inside and would instantly upgrade the Raiders? D-line.

8. Jacksonville Jaguars: Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech
    Quarterback is an option here, but with Crabtree still on the board, I expect the Jaguars to again try and upgrade their wide receiving corps. He?s one of the draft?s top talents and appears destined to become one of the league?s top wideouts. He gives the Jaguars a No. 1 threat at receiver, something they?ve sought for years.

9. Green Bay Packers: Aaron Maybin, DE, Penn State
    The Packers need to add someone to their front seven with this pick, and I think Maybin makes the most sense. He is arguably the draft?s top pass rusher and does a great job firing off the snap and attacking upfield. He?s been soaring up draft boards of late and should become the impact pass rusher the Packers need in their new 3-4 scheme.

10. San Francisco 49ers: Matthew Stafford, QB, Georgia
    The 49ers are in need of a WR, OT and OLB, but with a talent like Stafford still on the board, he becomes too good to pass up. Stafford has the kind of physical skill set GMs crave and gives San Francisco its much-needed quarterback of the future.

11. Buffalo Bills: Robert Ayers, DE, Tennessee
    Ayers has been flying up draft boards in recent weeks and could end up in the top 10. However, he?s a great fit for the Bills at No. 11 as his power at the point of attack and ability to rush the edge should allow for an instant impact on defense.

12. Denver Broncos: Everette Brown, OLB, Florida State
    Brown is an explosive edge rusher who might be a bit undersized to play as a down 4-3 DE. However, he?s an ideal fit in the Broncos? 3-4 scheme and should be able to use his burst and athleticism to terrorize quarterbacks off the edge.

13. Washington Redskins: Michael Oher, OT, Mississippi
    The Redskins need to find an offensive lineman at and add some much-needed youth to their O-line.

19. JediCouncilMember

JediCouncilMember Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 15, 2003
    A nice read, but it is impossible to predict the 1st round let alone 3 rds. It looks a little too perfect for me.

I think if the Lions do pass on a QB and Sea takes Sanchez, I think the likely hood of a trade-down come more into play. I suppose it could happen once the 1st QB goes or after the top 2 go. But you can look at Cle and Cincy and I could see them dropping down to mid-first round (and picking up another pick), if a team wanted to jump up to get Stafford at that point.

I'm not sure Cincy will risk it with Smith.
    I also think it might be hard for Oak to pass on Crabtree or even Maclin. I don't think Pettigrew makes it to the Eagles at 28.

As a Bears fan, I don't think they take a WR in Rd 1. Rookie wideouts generally don't do much and pairing a rookie with Hester just gives you 2 inexperienced guys. They can probably do just as well with a 2nd or 3rd rd WR from that stand point. Hester has killer speed and the Bears need a Vet possession type guy that stays healthy. I'd like to see D-line or O-line or even secondary help.

Since I also root for the Steelers too I can see them trying to move up (if they really like someone maybe the top CB or an OL guy drops a bit) since they are essentially returning the same team and don't need a million picks, or dropping a few to early 2nd where they can pick up Mack or Unger type and bank another pick for maybe 2010.

I really think the middle picks 10-25 could really see some trade action depending on who falls or if people really like Freeman or something.

20. SLR

SLR Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 20, 2002
    The Eagles will not take a running back in the first round. It does not fit the drafting modus operandi of the Reid/Banner era. Under their misguided philosophies, the two positions that they will not use a 1st or 2nd round pick on are running backs and linebackers. The organization views these positions as 3rd round picks or second day draft picks.

As to a tight end, I don't think they're going to take one that high. The organization is very high on Brent Celek, who they drafted a couple of years ago. He is young and talented and played very well for them down the stretch and in the playoffs, when they finally gave up on L.J. Smith.

My prediction for the Eagles is that they will use one draft pick in the first round to draft an OT. They will probably trade out of the first round with the other pick.

Also, now that it looks like Boldin is going to stay with the Cardinals, the Eagles need to try and sign Torry Holt. I like Harrison and he is from Philly, but I don't think he has the skills to be a number 1 receiver anymore.

21. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Looks like Stafford to Detroit first overall is all but a done deal.

I'm getting sick of the "where will Sanchez go" kick ESPN is on right now. Someone needs to tell them he's not the only player out there who could go in a variety of different places.

22. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    I wouldn't be surprised if Stafford goes to Detroit; without Jon Kitna, the Lions really need a QB (and Dan Orlovsky will not fill the bill by any means).

23. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    But where will we get our "run out of the back of the endzone" fun?

:p

24. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    If starting quarterback flops and the Lions are playing out of their endzone.

25. RX_Sith

Mar 13, 2006
    Lions sign Stafford.

(from yahoo)

The Detroit Lions hope Matthew Stafford ends their decades-long search for a star quarterback.

Stafford and the Lions agreed on a six-year contract, agent Tom Condon told The Associated Press on Friday night. Condon and Ben Dogra, who also represents Stafford, negotiated the deal with $41.7 million in guarantees and a maximum value of $78 million.

Is this too much? Will he resurrect the Lions? Will he be a bust?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.