main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

NFL Overtime

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by NorCalBirdz, Jan 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NorCalBirdz

NorCalBirdz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 28, 2004
    I'm glad this didn't come into play in the Colts/Pats game, but what do you guys think of the NFL Sudden Death overtime? I personally hate it. I know the stats don't show that winning the coin flip=winning the game, but it just seems wrong as a matter of principle. I also hate when pundits suggest the college overtime procedure as a replacement. All that does is reward teams with a good red zone offense. It'd be like having a home run derby to settle a baseball tie. I think the simplest solution would just be to play an extra ten minute period.

2. Boomer_Athena

Boomer_Athena Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2006
    I would assume the owners like it the way it is currently run, because in the long run it saves wear and tear on the players that they spend millions of dollars on.

3. NorCalBirdz

NorCalBirdz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 28, 2004
    I'm totally guessing here, but I'd say there's one overtime game every two weeks in the NFL as a rough estimate. That's an extra ten minutes for 3% of the games.

4. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    NFL style certainly leads to more drama since the game literally could end on any given play. In college if one team scores, oh well the other team has a chance to respond.

5. Boomer_Athena

Boomer_Athena Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2006
    Yes, but it's an extra 10 minutes where players could suffer season ending injuries. Don't get me wrong, I don't disagree with what you're saying. I'm just pointing out that the owners probably see no need to change that aspect of the game, as they really have nothing more to gain, financially, by changing it. The people are already there, filling the seats.

6. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    I don't think it will change, but I will say I prefer the college version of OT to the NFL version, because it does (essentially) eliminate the effect of a coin flip.

7. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    I think OTs in all sports should take the form of an extra period of regular play. Basketball, soccer, baseball, every other sport I can think of do it that way. Maybe have a golden point period if the first OT doesn't settle things (i.e penalty shootout style).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.