main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

NFL Postseason Awards Debate

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by Armenian_Jedi, Dec 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. New_York_Jedi

New_York_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Mar 16, 2002
    oh. I thought players played consistently all the time. Good thing you are here to explain how player's performances fluctuate.

And no, I wouldn't be dissapointed. I'd be suprised. When someone averages two touchdowns a game, and then scores only two in three games, I think that's grounds to be suprised.

2. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Especially when said player is on a team with something to play for: homefield advantage.

3. Armenian_Jedi

Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost star 7

Mar 14, 2003
    Peyton Manning threw 13 TD's in 6 games and now has only 2 in his last 3.

Where was the big shock there?

Larry Johnson scored 10 TD's in 5 games earlier this season and now has only 1 in his last 3.

Where was the big shock there?

Droughts happen all the time, only people like yourself with little to no football knowledge get shocked when a player "only" scores 2 touchdowns in 3 games.

4. New_York_Jedi

Mar 16, 2002
    I am suprised by both of those. You don't expect that to happen with players of their caliber. I am also suprised by how poorly Tom Brady is playing, if you want another example.

First of all, I wouldn't be shocked. I'd be suprised. There is a difference.

Furthermore, I'm not projecting him to score three touchdowns a game, you know. I said he'd probably break the record by four or five scores, which means he only needs three or four more touchdowns in three games. I think that's fairly reasonable to suspect. In his worst three game stretch this year he scored two touchdowns. Given the way he's been playing recently, I think the odds of him doing that poorly or worse are bad.

What do you want me to say here? No, it wouldn't be shocking or too weird if he didn't score another three to four touchdowns. However, given his level of play over the last 7 games, I don't think its entirely unreasonable to expect him to reach that amount.

5. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    All high quality players go through droughts, just as all low quality players.

The best players are those that go through the fewest droughts.

I'd rather have and average player who's consitent, rather than an amazing player who is amazing half the time, and sucky the other half.

6. Armenian_Jedi

Mar 14, 2003
    I don't understand why it would surprise you. Apparently you didn't need me to tell you that players aren't always consistent. So why would a drought surprise you?

7. JediCouncilMember

JediCouncilMember Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 15, 2003
    LT will win MVP.
    The only way Brees wins is if he breaks Marino record. Coming close won't cut it, not when LT finishes with 32ish TDs. Best player on best team = winner.

Payton will win COTY.

ROTY will be a good race with Bush, Young, Colston, Hester.

Young if he gets 2 more wins. (possible with 1)
    Colston I think my be out of the picture now with missing some time.
    Bush if he continues to come on strong while Young falters a bit.
    Hester if he gets another returnd TD (probably needs two) to out shine Young and Bush.
    Although, I don't expect anyone to kick to Hester anymore.

If I have to pick I'll go with Young right now. he's winning games and Ten isn't really even that good yet.

8. New_York_Jedi

Mar 16, 2002
    I don't sit here and expect someone like LT to stop scoring, basically. Maybe I'm using the wrong word with "suprised." If it happened, alright, it happens, but it wouldn't something I'd neccesarily predict. Does that make any sense to people, or am the only one?

9. Armenian_Jedi

Mar 14, 2003
    I see what you're saying, and I myself think he's gonna score around 4-5 in the last 3 games as well... but I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't. Defenses are gonna be focusing on him these last 3 games. Kansas City only gives up 3.8 yards a carry and has only allowed 9 rushing TD's all year. If he can have a good game against them, then Seattle and Arizona shouldn't be too tough. But like I said, defenses might finally decide to make Philip Rivers beat them and stick 7 in the box every other down.

10. Quixotic-Sith

Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 22, 2001
    I'll go with LT; despite a few bad games, his level of play has been extraordinary (like Hines Ward, ;)).

11. EBSaints

EBSaints Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 29, 2002
    Rookie of the Year

This looked like a one man race earlier this year with Marques Colston running away with it, but he got hurt and missed 2+ games and others have stepped up their games. Reggie Bush is finally putting up the numbers we expected of him (more receiving than rushing though). Vince Young is playing like young Mike Vick with highlight reel plays each week. Joe Addai and Maurice Jones-Drew have shown that this could be one of the best crops of rookie runners ever. Devin Hester is unreal on kick returns. Matt Leinart is putting up solid numbers in the desert. So who will it be?

My pick is still Colston. He's going to surpass 1,000 yards soon and despite missing a little more than 2 games, his 7 TD catches are only 3 behind the NFL lead. This thing about rookie WR is that they hardly ever make an impact, so having a 7th rounder put up these numbers is just too much of a good story.

Here's how I would vote:
    1. Marques Colston
    2. Vince Young
    3. Reggie Bush
    4. Joe Addai
    5. Devin Hester

12. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Doesn't the NFL do two rookies of the year? One offensive and one defensive?

And where is the love for D'Brickshaw Ferguson for Rookie of the Year?

13. EBSaints

EBSaints Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 29, 2002
    If we're going to include O-Linemen, then you have to think about Jahri Evens, rookie guard for the Saints. He has started all year and he and his o-line teammates have protected Drew Brees better than anyone thought they would and only allowing 15 sacks all year. Also, they've block for Deuce McAllister, who is going to get 1,000 yards rushing a year after ACL surgury. Not bad.

14. Armenian_Jedi

Mar 14, 2003
    Jaws seems to think the left tackle for the chargers is winning rookie of the year. He's obviously having a good as seen by the great years his young QB and RB are having... but I don't know if the voters will give it to an offensive linemen.

15. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    offensive lineman are always overlooked for awards. Also, quite often overlooked when it comes to Hall of Fame Inductions.

Which is a shame, really, because offensive lineman are the key to every offense in the game.

*grumbles about Orlando Pace not winning the Heisman*

16. YoungAngus

YoungAngus Jedi Master star 5

May 7, 2005
    If Brees breaks Marino's record, he should get it. Otherwise it'll go to LT.

I'm sounding like a Homer here, but the ROTY should go to Maurice Jones-Drew!

17. Lank_Pavail

Lank_Pavail Jedi Knight star 7

Sep 26, 2002
    I thought Brees did break that record already. :confused:

In any case, I think it'll probably got to Tomlinson. He's just bee unbelievable.

18. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    Yesterday's game vs. Washington, probably took Brees out of serious consideration. I'm sure L.T. has it in the bag now.

19. Yodave27

Yodave27 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 2, 2001
    He's been overshadowed by another O-Lineman the Jets drafted, Nick "The" Mangold.

At this point, Colston is probably going to win ROTY, but Mangold deserves second. He utterly DOMINATED Wilfork when the Jets beat the Pats a few weeks ago. He's already in the top 5 for centers.

20. Armenian_Jedi

Mar 14, 2003
    yup, Brees is out of the running IMO... unless he does something crazy like throw for 10 TD's and 1,000 yards in his last two games...

21. LordPullus

LordPullus Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 6, 2006
    I'm a huge San Diego Charger's Fan ever since Junior Seau played with them, and I'm happy to see them doing so well even if Drew Bree's isn't with them anymore.

For MVP I personally hope for a Co MVP this year for the lone reason that both LT, and Bree's have had remarkable season's that I think have come at the result of the deal Brees inked with the Saints allowing him to become more of a focal point in the offense, and for San Diego to lean even more heavily on LT and the Road grading O line they have.

Statistically both have put up mind boggling numbers even with both of them experiencing off weeks they have bounced back to have great games in the following weeks. With two games left in the season I don't see San Diego having much trouble with Seatle or Arizona both teams having a difficult time stopping the run, and New Orleans after clinching the NFC South is focused on reaching the second seed spot that would cement them a first round bye.

I think that LT will continue his sucess in the waning stretch of the season, and Brees will lead New Orleans to the second seed spot in the NFC which would warrant both player's a share of the MVP award which I doubt either would mind.

For Rookie of the Year offensively I would give the edge to Vince Young over Marques Colston, and Maurice Drew Jones just for the sheer fact that he is a very essential part of the Titan's post season hopes.

For the Defensive side of the ball I would place Huff from Texas who plays for the Raider's for the lone fact that top pick Mario Williams hasn't really had the impact in Houston that many believed he would.

San Diego for the Superbowl(sorry just had to get that in)

22. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    1. I'm very glad that I can agree with you on Vince Young. I had little doubt that he'd end up shining in the NFL with the gifts that he has, but I didn't think that he'd even start a game, let alone shine in his first season.

2. Huff was a great college player, I haven't gotten to see him much in the NFL thus far, myself.

3. Honestly, I think the only people that thought that Williams would have a major impact, from the start, were people in the Texans organization that actually drafted him. I know Texans fans hoped that he'd have an impact, but are now very upset that they didn't pick Young(you know Carr isn't long for that system).

23. Armenian_Jedi

Mar 14, 2003
    ZOMG LT didn't score a TD!!!11! CAN YOU BELIEVE IT?! STOP THE MOTHER****ING PRESSES!!!

24. Baron-Soontir-Fel

Baron-Soontir-Fel Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 15, 2005
    Barring some disaster this Sunday, Chad Pennington has the comeback player of the year locked up, and Eric Mangini should finish no lower than second in the coach of the year voting.

25. YoungAngus

YoungAngus Jedi Master star 5

May 7, 2005
    Shouldn't Jeff Garcia be mentioned in the comeback player of the year award?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.