main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena NHL Expansion (and Deflation)

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by Zaz, May 24, 2009.

1. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    Like you said, I'll believe when I see it.

It would be nice, though. Restart the Battle of Quebec.

2. BaronFel88

BaronFel88 Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 25, 2004
    Godforbid the Coyotes win the cup, does Bettman's name go down as the owner?

3. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    [face_sick]

I hope not.

4. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    I'd like to see that! But we all know that the NHL doesn't want to move teams TO Canada because they want to expand into more American markets...

If the Coyotes were "too big to fail" (or be moved to Hamilton or Winnepeg) then they'll never take teams up north.

I've been saying this for years: "if you lost the Civil War, you don't deserve a hockey team!" All you fans from the "NASCAR Division" can boo me all you want, but the truth is... hockey was just another fad to people down there (after the Gretzky trade). Watch a Panthers home game now... (thanks NHL Centre Ice) it's a ghost town! Drop all those teams, move CBJ and Detroit to the Eastern Conference and everything will work itself out!

Now, I know that my Bluejackets struggled this year, after making the playoffs for the 1st time (in a TOUGH division) but the fans up here ARE still trying to stay loyal to their team! Columbus is a good city to have an NHL team in, because it's close to Pittsburgh (still get TV blackouts) and there's always playing up the OSU/Michigan rivalry with the Red Wings... and we've even got some angst with nearby Chicago. It's a good growing hockey market!

5. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Columbus is in the snowbelt, so okay. But two films in Florida?

Heard a scary analysis on the radio today: Phoenix requires a purchase price of $260,000,000 to break even. Tampa Bay sold for $100,000,000, and if you filter out the cost of the arena, more like $50,000,000. The only place that will pay anything like the break even price is Southern Ontario (which is vetoed by the most powerful team in the league, Toronto.) The rest of the league would support the veto, for this reason: if Southern Ontario got an expansion franchise, the the owners would make a tidy sum. If Phoenix moves there, they make nothing. This is known as a rock and a hard place.

What are the box office/ticket sale figures? All six Canadian teams are in the top ten. Toronto is first (and they suck), making nearly $2,000,000 a game. Montreal is second, Philly third, and Vancouver, fourth, and Calgary, Edmonton and Ottawa up there.

6. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    If Phoenix goes deep, they may not move, which is just postponing the inevitable.

7. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    And yes, Phoenix is not moving, mainly because the city made an inexplicable deal.

8. Nevermind

Nevermind Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 14, 2001
  9. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    i had to laugh that the article was from a Winnipeg paper. :p

Seriously, though, I hope that the Coyotes work something out with a buyer soon. It's not good for that franchise, nor for the league, that they keep running into these problems.

10. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    Winnipeg's obviously the most interested.

11. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    As well they should be.

12. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
  13. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    I still don't know why they decided to put a second team in Florida...

Hopefully they're able to right the ship, in Tampa or elsewhere.

14. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    Tampa has a potentially great team, though.

15. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    They've got talent, sure, but that doesn't really matter when they don't have fans.

16. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    True. Florida is not hockey country.

17. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    Even Bettman is talking up Quebec City and Winnipeg now.

The problem in Quebec City is a new arena, which is turning into a political football.

18. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Glad he's realized that people in those markets would actually follow their teams better than non-traditional markets.

19. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    I suspect it's because the Canadian markets are interested, and other possible markets (like Las Vegas) are no longer, at least at this time.

20. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    There are eight teams in the NHL for sale: Coyotes, Kings, Devils, Stars, Thrashers, Hurricanes, Blues and Islanders.

A guy interviewed on the radio today estimated 15 to 20 teams were making no real money.

21. Darth_Furio

Darth_Furio Chosen One star 8

Apr 17, 2008
    You might as well call this the Bettman neglect thread, he'll never admit that any of that is true. Toronto could easily support another team, Quebec City obviously, and maybe Winnipeg with more corporate support.

22. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    Perhaps Montreal could also support two...they used to have the Montreal Maroons, too. Bettman will never go back to Winnipeg, but I think he will consider Q.C. Another in T.O., and that's three. That leaves five unwanted teams.

23. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    The Devils thing always confuses me...they've had a very good team for much of the last decade, yet they've constantly struggled with attendance. They are the third team in the New York market, but I still find it very odd.

I hope that Quebec City gets a team back.

24. Darth_Furio

Darth_Furio Chosen One star 8

Apr 17, 2008
    I'll bet they'll still go to Kansas City first before any Canadian market.

25. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Yeah, you're probably right. Although, technically, they haven't had a team for longer than Quebec City. :p