main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

St. Lou, MO NHL Hockey - Favorite Pro Sport of the Sith and other Evilbeings

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by jedigal, Dec 7, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedigal

jedigal Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2000
    Well, here's the event you've all dreaded! The hockey thread returns to the St. Louis forum.

I have decided to continue to post this thread even though there do not appear to be any other hockey fans hanging around. Heck, there's only me and Darth Athena from St. Louis anyway, and hockey's too brutal of a sport for a gentle soul like DA. But on the off chance there are hockey fans lurking, I carry on diligently.

This thread reports on my two favorite NHL teams, the St. Louis Blues and the Chicago Blackhawks, as they progress through the current season.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS - Don't turn your back, or you might get scalped!

The Chicago Blackhawks are NOT, let me make this very clear, they are NOT, a bad hockey club. In fact, they're a pretty good team. How can I claim this? Very easily. Follow along.

Current Team Record for 2000-20001 Season:
    10-15-2 or for those REAL hockey fans out there (10-13-2-2)

If you throw out the ties for convenience ::ties disappear:: then they have won 40% of their games this season! That's a batting average of 0.400 - excellent by any standard. Put those inconvenient ties back in and count them as losses, and their "batting average" goes down to 0.370 - still excellent!

Let's remember people, these guys aren't just your average joe who happens to have a pair of skates. These guys are professionals, the cream of the crop from around the world. (Most teams have members of several nationalities.) When our boys play another team, they're not going up against a crowd of bums. Chicago may be second to last currently in our division, but in the entire NHL, a full THIRD of the teams have done worse this year. And in case you can't do the math, that's a batting average of 0.333 which is, of course, excellent.

So, in short, I don't want to hear any nay-saying out there! Go Blackhawks!
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    ST. LOUIS BLUES - These guys always make them sing!!!

What can I say about the Blues? Their performance both last season and so far this season speaks for itself. The TOP TEAM in the entire NHL. Awesome!

I personally give kudos to coach Joel Quennville.

Current Team Record for 2000-20001 Season:
    18-4-3 or for those REAL hockey fans out there (18-4-3-0)

The one thing I would like to point out is that, notwithstanding their excellent record, we all know they need a little bit more. What do they need? Why, a Stanley Cup of course! Can they do it? Which part of me should answer, the realist, or the typical St. Louis sports fan who believes in and supports their teams without fail?

The realist says - I don't know. Last year, under playoff pressure, this young team choked. They lost all their cohesion. Their performance in the playoffs was far below par. The St. Louis sports fan says - of course they can! And not only that, THEY WILL!!!!
    Go Blues!

2. jedigal

Sep 21, 2000
    This evening both my teams are playing:

Blackhawks at HOME vs. Minnesota Wild
    Blues at HOME vs. Toronto Maple Leafs

3. Darth_Athena

Darth_Athena Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 29, 2000
    Too gentle for hockey? Actually its more a case of just not liking hockey, or many other sports. Give me a book or computer any day.

4. jedigal

Sep 21, 2000
    Hey, DA, I totally understand. But please don't disabuse us of the notion that you are a kind gentle young sentient, destined to be the future, soon to bring peace and prosperity to our great nation. How's that for some bs?

::jedigal whispers - "Athena, next time, just play along"::

::as she walks away, jedigal murmurs to self "Sheesh. Padawans." a dark blur whisks through her vision, startling her. she turns her head, but sees nothing. Then, -thwack- a hockey puck hits her right between the eyes, bounces back, and hovers in front of her face. "Very funny DA." jedigal plucks the puck out of the air and pockets it.::

Actually, I fully understand Athena's book and computer loving sentiments. I myself am a voracious reader, and also have an active love/hate relationship with several computers. And most sports, at least as far as to watch them, I could take or leave. Sports are more fun to play than watch. But there's just something about hockey. Something that reels me in. Something in the ::smash:: of bodies against the boards, the ::crack:: of a fast slap shot, the ::wuush, wuush:: of skates on ice, the ::bwreeept:: of the linesmens' whistles, the soft ::thud:: as gloves and helmets fly off, the ::scarlet red:: of bloody knuckles, the......

Eahhhhmmmm, hmm. Excuse me. What was I saying? Oh, yes, there's just something about hockey. I can't quite seem to put my finger on it. Oh well.
    --------------------------------------------
    Last night's report -

Minnesota Wild tame Chicago Blackhawk's, 2-4.
    Chicago current season record: 10-16-2

Blues did not play. I don't know what happened. I have a printed schedule with that game listed, but for some reason they did not play, and they've added a game to their January schedule. Whatever.

Upcoming games - not as many to report as usual. Why? B/c my two teams are playing each other. These are gonna be some great games! The rivalry between the teams has always been strong, and there will be many fans of the away team present at both games due the proximity of our two cities. While I admit to a pro-Blues bias, I'll probably enjoy them no matter who wins.

Tomorrow, Sat 12/9 Blackhawks in St. Louis
    Sunday 12/10 Blues in Chi-town.
    ------------------------------------------
    All I learned in life I learned at a Blackhawks hockey game and can be summed up in 2 words....
    "Detroit sucks! Detroit sucks!"
    -JediJeff13

While I've only seen the Hawks at a -BLUES- hockey game, and I don't know that I learned anything at all about life there, I do concur heartily with the statement - "Detroit sucks!" This can apply to both the town (no offense to residents intended) and the Red Wings.

-copyright notice- the word "suck" used by permission of JJ13 inc. the spoken or written use of this word for any commercial purpose shall be strictly prohibited.

5. hoth-nudist

hoth-nudist Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 5, 2000
    Greeaaat post jedigal! Hockey rules! Blues rule! Sith rules! I think this could be THE year for da blues (as long as they dont play san jose in the 1st round of the playoffs!) Pronger is awesome, he slashes and checks opponents with the same cunning and deviousness as maul slicing through the jedi. Coach Quinnville would be a great sidious. He would look awesome standing in the blues bench area with a sith robe with the hood over his head instructing his team! By the way I'm from the springfield section, I just thought I'd drop by and say HI.

6. Darth_Athena

Nov 29, 2000
    I'll try to play along, next time. Maybe. *Evil grin*
    AS for sports, I like archry and horseback riding. Not much in the spectator sports-type stuff... :)

7. jedigal

Sep 21, 2000
    Well, a bad weekend for the Blackhawks was a good weekend for the Blues. And I can't be too unhappy about the outcome. ;)

Blues win both games against the Hawks, Sat in StL 6-4, Sun in Chi 6-1.

Current season records:
    Blues 20-4-3
    Hawks 10-18-2

Upcoming:
    Wed 12/13 Blackhaws vs. Atlanta Thrashers in Atlanta 6:30 Central
    GO HAWKS!!!!!!! KILL 'EM! (ooh, didn't mean that, of course, that would be of the dark side)
    -----------------------------------------
    hoth-nudist: Thanks for visiting! Great to have another hockey fan around. I LOVE how you liken our boys in blue to SW characters. Feel free to visit anytime. You might also like the folks on the forums in Minneapolis and Chicago, all excellent people.
    -----------------------------------------
    It IS more fun to participate than to watch, DA! I myself do some biking, hiking, hunting, weight lifting, and like racquetball but never play it b/c I don't anyone who's even close to as bad it as I am.

I always thought archery was cool, and my husband shoots a bow, for hunting mostly, but it's a recurve not a compound bow. I've been getting interested again watching him practice, and may be getting a bow sometime in the spring.

Horseback riding is GREAT!! Unfortunately, it's expensive, and I have never known anyone who owned a horse(s) so I haven't gotten to do nearly enough of it. I'm crazy about horses. I've always wanted to get a chance to ride some of the gaited breeds, to check out how they feel.

8. Darth_Athena

Nov 29, 2000
    I have my own bow, but it was originally my brother's and its really weak, and he almost never lets me use his really really good hunting bow (but he doesn't hunt). Oh, well, I'll kick butt in gym next semester.

As for teh horseback riding, thats why I went to girl scout camp for 5 years. on my last year, I even got to ride in a show, and in Western Pleasure walk/trot/canter I got 4th place out 12. :) But that also had a lot to do with the horse I was riding. He was so well trained that you say "walk" and he'd walk, "trot" and he'd trot, and "canter" and he'd so that too. Unfortunately, he died last winter. But since I've done all the camp programs they had, and they passed me over for staff (for people who were very quickly fired for drinking on camp property) I haven't exactly ridden since then... That was the summer before this most recent one.

Really, the only spectator sport I enjoy is racing. I love PPG Cart. :)

9. jedigal

Sep 21, 2000
    Just a reminder - :)

Upcoming:
    Wed 12/13 Blackhaws vs. Atlanta Thrashers in Atlanta 6:30 Central
    GO HAWKS!!!!!!! KILL 'EM! (ooh, didn't mean that, of course, that would be of the dark side)

10. jedigal

Sep 21, 2000
    Ya know, maybe a little MORE of the dark side WOULD be helpful to the Blackhawks. Come ON, guys! Four losses in a row, now. :( We were thrashed last night, 3-1 I think was the score. Not good.

Current season record:
    10-19-2
    and looking worse all the time. Use the Force, Hawks!

Well, here's the games to watch over the weekend.
    Fri Dec 15, StL Blues vs. Thrashers (may they revenge the Hawks' loss) and Chicago vs. Stars (I wish I felt optomistic about this game)
    Sat Dec 16, StL vs. Detroit (and, may I remind everyone, Detroit sucks! I'll have to tape this game, I'll be a Xmas party.) and Chi vs. Nashville (let's hope the hunters become the hunted, and vice versa)

Good luck, teams!

11. jedigal

Sep 21, 2000
    Well, it appears that even St. Louis sports fans can get bogged down by the holidays. I didn't get to watch the Rams game Monday (although I may actually be grateful for that), and I missed all the hockey games over the weekend. And it's not going to be getting any better over the next week. Not to say that I don't love Christmas.

So here are the results of the games I missed already:
    12/15 StL Blues 6 Atlanta 3 :)
    Blackhawks 1 Dallas 4 :(
    12/16 StL Blues 2 Detroit 2 [face_plain]
    Blackhawks 3 Predators 0 :D

Current season records:
    St. Louis Blues 21-4-4
    Chicago Black Hawks 11-20-2

And here are the upcoming games that, in all likelihood, I will not get to watch:
    :[
    Tonight, 12/20 --- Wait a minute! I'll get to watch this one! All I planned to do tonight is laundry. Woohoo! :) --- Blues vs. New York Rangers
    Thu 12/21 Chi vs. Vancouver Canucks
    Sat 12/23 Chi vs. Ottawa Senators (1:00pm CST)
    Blues vs. Anaheim Mighty Ducks
    Tue 12/26 Blues vs. Columbus Blue Jackets
    Wed 12/27 Chi vs. Phoenix Coyotes
    Thu 12/28 Blues vs. Los Angeles Kings

Happy Holidays to the teams (players, coaches, staff and their families) of the coolest winter sport!

12. SteelLepp

SteelLepp Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 1, 1998
    Nope, you're not the only St. Louis (area, I'm from Belleville) hockey fan. How 'bout that (mostly) awesome game last night between the Blues and Rangers? Expect for that couple of minutes the defense fell asleep, that was a great game.

Catch ya later,
    Steve "Steel Lepp"

13. jedigal

Sep 21, 2000
    Steve, I missed the game! It's been a bad week for me. The same thing that has kept me from my planned trip to Chicago to see Star Wars Magic of the Myth at the Field museum has interfered with my game watching last night.

I'm VERY glad to have another hockey fan on board! Thank the maker.

And let me offer you an official welcome to the St. Louis fanforce forum! I really hope you hang out, and post often enough that the rest of us know you're still here. I'm also glad you're not another one of the teenagers. Not that I don't like all you kids, but sometimes one longs for one's own kind.

14. jedigal

Sep 21, 2000
    I'm doing a happy dance! Even though my Force awareness was directed elsewhere than the hockey world, my teams have come in perfectly on their own.

Blues beat Rangers and Mighty Ducks, 6-3 and 5-2 respectively.
    Blackhawks beat Canucks and Senators, 6-4 and 3-2 respectively.

Current season records:
    St. Louis Blues 23-4-4
    Chicago Blackhawks 13-20-2

Games to watch when you're not busy returning tacky gifts:
    Tues 12/26 Blues vs. Blue Jackets (Columbus)
    Wed 12/27 Blackhawks vs. Coyotes (Phoenix)
    Thur 12/28 Blues vs. Kings (LA)
    Fri 12/29 Blackhawks vs. Red Wings (Detroit sucks!)
    Sat 12/30 Blues vs. Coyotes
    Sun 12/31 Blackhawks vs. Hurricanes (Carolina)

15. jedigal

Sep 21, 2000
    I do not normally encourage shouting on the forum, but I can hardly believe what I just posted!

THE BLUES CURRENT RECORD FOR THIS SEASON IS:
    23 WINS - 4 LOSSES - 4 TIES

WAY TO GO BLUES!!!!!!!! :D

I just hope that this time they manage to do this during POST-season play too!

16. jedigal

Sep 21, 2000
    Here's one of my pet peeves:
    The Carolina team call themselves the Hurricanes. Plural. So, at any given point during the game, we should think that there are 6 little miniature Hurricanes on the ice? Let's get real. This team should be singular just like the Colorado Avalanche. All the players together combining to form a powerful natural phenomenon. Even The Great One, by himself, could not be likened to a Hurricane. Just MHO.

17. SteelLepp

Sep 1, 1998
    I don't agree with you on the Hricanes thing. Granted "Huricanes" isn't the name I would have come up with but I think it sounds better as plural than singular. Just like the Avalanche sounds better as the singular.

Carolina Huricanes vs Carolina Huricane and Colorado Alvalanche vs Colorado Avalanches.

Maybe its just 'cause I'm used to hearing them that way, but the other ways seem clunky or just not right.

Anyway, go Blues!

Catch ya later,
    Steve "Steel Lepp"

18. SteelLepp

Sep 1, 1998
    I'm BACK :)

Since this thread was last updated, the Blues have gone 4-3-0 (Sorry Jedigal, I don't follow the 'Hawks that closely). They had their 13 game unbeaten streak stop and even had a 2 game losing streak. I was at the second of those 2 games (vs. Nashville) and they looked awful. Watched the game against the Wild on Saturday and they looked like they were back to their old selves. On another note, Pavol Demetra is out 2 to 8 weeks with a bruised retina suffered against the Coyotes. And the Blues traded Marc Bergevan (sp?) to the Penguins for D Dan Trebil.

That's about it for now.

Catch ya later

19. 1800CallAWookie

1800CallAWookie Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 23, 2000
    I went to Saturday nights game (college night....half price tix...ahh the joys of college) and it was great...3 good fights, 5 great goals, the Wild didn't stand a chance.

And on the topic of team names...why in the h-e double hockey-sticks are they named the Wild???

20. Bobafemme

Bobafemme FF Jedi Council Member, Chicago IL RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 25, 2000
    Because hockey is pure evil. The original Minnesota Wild is a small winery that has been in business for years. Now, the MN Wild hockey team has been taking expensive legal action to take away their name, even though the winery has had that name before the North Stars even left our fair city.

21. 1800CallAWookie

1800CallAWookie Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 23, 2000
    pssssh, stupid minnesota team...go back to yer stars, eh!

22. SteelLepp

Sep 1, 1998
    I always thought the "Wild" was kind of cool for a hockey name. Sucks that everybody has to get in an uproar over "taking names".

1800CAW, I got the half price "Pepsi Fan Can" night, so I couldn't beat that (even if the Blues did play like crap). Technically, it wasn't half-price, but buy-one-get-one-free is pretty much the same thing. :)

Anyway, catch ya later

Steve "Steel Lepp"
    RIP SMC

23. jedigal

Sep 21, 2000
    OK, I'm way behind here. You'd think we've been having holidays or something....

First off, I have decided NOT to pay any more attention to the Blackhawks! I've decided on a new strategy: I'm gonna pick a favorite team from each Division to follow. But even when I do this I won't be reporting on them as diligently as I do with the Blues. There's really only ONE hockey team that's IMPORTANT - the rest are just, well... not important.

As was stated earlier, since my last update the Blues have played seven, going 4-3-0. This is AWFUL!! In seven games they lost almost as many as they lost in the previous 32 games. CRAPOLA! Here's a quick recap:
    Blues 5 - Blue Jackets 0
    Blues 2 - Kings 5 (My husband Matt was there - he said it was a sad, sad performance.)
    Blues 2 - Coyotes 1
    Blues 5 - Oilers 2
    Blues 1 - Senators 3
    Blues 2 - Predators 4
    Blues 5 - Wild 1

My husband and I went to the game Saturday courtesy of a software company his work buys from. We had totally AWESOME seats, 12th row from the ice, behind the "Blues-shoot-twice" goal. The seats rocked, and such a great game on top of it!! Tyson Nash was doing excellent as the "enforcer", and the penalties were given fairly for a change.

Tonight we're going to the game (vs. Philadelphia Flyers) but we'll be sitting in nosebleed, second to last row. But these were also free tickets. And I'll be accompanied by three good-lookin' gentlemen. Woohoo!

Very important note: There is another great hockey team in the making. The Colorado expansion team, the Avalanche, is kicking butt and taking names. They've been leading the NHL for a few weeks. But I'm still not as worried about them as I am about Detroit! Another team to keep an eye on (IMHO) are the San Jose Sharks, who have really been coming on strong.

Upcoming games to watch:
    Mon 1/8 Blues vs. Flyers
    Wed 1/10 Blues @ Mighty Ducks
    Thu 1/11 Blues @ San Jose ***
    Sat 1/13 Blues @ LA Kings (let's make up for that pitiful 2-5 loss!)

Current season records:
    28-8-7-1 Colorado Avalanche leads NHL w/60 pts.
    27-7-4-0 St. Louis Blues second in NHL 58 pts.
    24-13-3-4 Detroit Red Wings (SUCK!) w/55 pts.
    24-10-6-0 San Jose Sharks 4th in NHL w/54 pts.

GO BLUES!!!!

24. jedigal

Sep 21, 2000
    Hey, CallW (I keep experimenting w/nicknames for ya, I'm kinda likin' this one, I pronounce it call-dubbya...)anyway, it's great to have another Blues/SW fan on forum!

25. jedigal

Sep 21, 2000
    Bobafemme, that is really awful that the owners of the Wild are suing for the name. What a crock! Keep us abreast of this situation would ya? Those WILD scoundrels!!!

I don't know if anyone will remember, but it reminds me of a few years back when McDonald's was suing some kid over the phrase "Nothing but net" as if they invented it for their dumb commercials and it didn't exist in popular usage beforehand.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.