main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Nick Cage to star in 9/11 movie. Oliver Stone to direct.

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by JediDragon, Jul 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediDragon

JediDragon Jedi Master star 5

Mar 11, 2002
    Article on AICN

comingsoon.net article

I thought this might generate a bit of discussion, so I didn't post it in the movie discussion thread.

thoughts?

I knew it was only a matter of time before a major 9/11 film was released...guess I was just hoping it would be a lot more time.

2. invisible66

invisible66 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 2, 2005
    This thing will have nothing but controversy written all over it. Some won't like it due to the fact that it will gloss over some more controversial subjects. (i.e. The 14 eye witnesses to a very large explosion the in the basement of tower one moments before the plane even hit.) Others will say that it wasn't patriotic enough or that it didn't show the true horror of the event. Noone will be pleased and because of that I predict that it will be a box office failure. I must say that I do like the choice of Oliver Stone as the director, he knows how to create a huge ****storm around any subject. But, Nick Cage? Barf!

3. catz44

catz44 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Hmmmmmmm.......

I'm not really sure how I feel about this one. I think that it will be hard to make a movie so soon after this has occurred without people feeling animosity about it. In one of my history courses 9/11 was actually mentioned in the text. The description of it felt simple and it sure didn't feel this way when all of it was happening. I think it is important to remember this day and the people that were lost.

4. Kaety

Kaety Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 30, 2005
    Regardless of whether the public is infuriated or loves this movie...everyone will go to the theater to make their decision and drop their $20. That is what it is all about...

As for Cage, he just made a semi-patriotic movie (National Treaure) that did very well...thus the $$$ effect applies to him too... (but I do usually like his movies)

Wow, who knew I could be such a cynic?

5. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 23, 2000
    You know, when I think about this I try to put myself in the shoes of a WWII era person. Someone who was alive when Pearl Harbor was bombed. They read about it in history books now, or watch a movie with it, its still not going to be just as emotional as the actual thing. Meaning will always be lost when it is translated to a form of medium.

Even if this movie portrays this in a great light, everything is accurate and represents the losses that were suffered, I don't know if I'll go see it. I have a strong belief that tradgedies like this should not be capitalized. This is why I have some trouble watching WWII movies (although I do watch them because I know that it was an effort of the war department and hollywood to improve the moral of the country, and show them, since there was no continuous news coverage as there is today, what happened over there).

However if much of the profits go to , let's say a scholarship fund for the children of victims of 9/11, or some other kind of fund to help the survivors and families of the deceased, I think it would be more ethically just and would have an even greater impact on not only the first generation of viewers, but many generations after that.

6. catz44

catz44 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    I agree with you, the profits should go to the people directly affected by this tragedy. I guess I just never saw history movies from the point of view of those who actually experienced it. It's just an odd unsettling feeling for me. I do think in a way that movies about history are important because it does show what happened and many times from a human view verses textbooks that simple state the facts. Knowing and learning our history is imperative so that we and future generations learn from it, and so many tragedies in history never repeat themselves.

7. arrowheadpodracer

arrowheadpodracer Jedi Master star 5

Apr 9, 2002
    then we should all see this movie

8. nnaydolem

nnaydolem Jedi Master star 6

Nov 8, 2002
    personally, i think it is still 'too soon' do to a movie about this. that is just my personal feelings on the matter. *shrug*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.