main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Nick Gillard -- Not a Swordmaster

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Plurimus, Jan 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 18, 2001
    Thank you very much for that explanation Junfanman. Much appreciated. My trainer had already exlained the reason behind the foot movement but thanks anyway :)

All I know is it's definately one of the nicest looking martial arts and the most intimidating I've seen since Mantis-Gung Fu.

*downloads Spy Wars*

2. Heath

Heath Jedi Youngling

Jan 18, 2004
    Actually it's called "FILIPINO" and is an art from the "Philippines". There are three names associated with this Filipino art, Arnis from the northern islands, Escrima from the central islands and Kali from the south. The word Escrima is Spanish and means "skirmish." The history of Escrima is the history of occupation of the Filipino islands by the Spanish.

Thanks for clarifying. It has been a while since I did any stick fighting. I mixed up then names a little, sorry about that. I remember the history was the Spanish took their weapons so they had to use sticks, or something along those lines. Arnis sounds farmilur, I think there was some intergated into our style as well.

It is much more than a style of banging sticks together in a rhythmic pattern, I can assure you. I have spent most of my life traing in the art of Kali. You are speaking of the energy drills used to teach flow and angles through sensitivity. Escrima, Kali, and Arnis cover a full spectrum of weapon and empty hand combat.

We were taught the basics, then the targets like the hands an the knees, among others. We were also taught defences against stick weapons and disarms. It was hella fun to do with a good partner (one who could go decent speeds). We did it hard core for a while then all of a sudden it slowed down. We did some more after that but not much. I left that instructer for personal reasons. I do hope to resume it later. Just letting you know I do know it is a lot more then banging sticks, hehe. It is actually a beautiful art, and very effective.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.